Old 06-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #11
Platinum Member

As I said, I've been foolish to not do the 2 hrs/month exercise. While I still don't know why 1 hour twice a month wouldn't be better or why 30 minutes is not enough, it's Onan's recommendation. They should know their product.

Further, it's not hard to do, gas consumption is negligible, and it doesn't significantly affect the oil change schedule since I believe oil should be changed annually in spite of run time. So I'm complaining about the functioning of my gen set while not following manufacturer's recommendations.

I will try and repeat my results from today with batteries fully charged and then again with batteries a little low. If the former is better than the latter, I can live with the smaller blips in operation. A bonus would be if running it in 2 hour stretches and more frequently reduces the problem.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:17 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
No I don't. I will admit it's more like 30-40 minutes every month. Sometimes I go 5-6 weeks between use. I run the roof air that pulls 12 amps on low fan according to the PCM.

I keep fresh gas in my RV and always ethanol free when I'm not away on a trip. I've heard of the 2 hrs. per month Onan recommendation, but never understood it. If I keep gas from going stale and run it 30 minutes at full operating temperature while under half a load, what other possible benefits could come from running 2 hours?

Heck, if running it more is really necessary for it's health, I guess I'm foolish not to.
There is more to it than just keeping the carburetor clean: there is the issue on all Onan's (propane too) of cleaning the oxide off the commutator. Whether the magic number is 2 hours/month is above my pay grade.

dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:42 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktill View Post
There is more to it than just keeping the carburetor clean: there is the issue on all Onan's (propane too) of cleaning the oxide off the commutator. Whether the magic number is 2 hours/month is above my pay grade.
Good point and easy to forget the oxide cleaning aspect of exercising the generator.

I forgot to add that I usually have a few several hours-long runnings each year for air conditioner use or powering electric tools in a remote site.

My vehicle is a 2006 Roadtrek.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:07 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Good point and easy to forget the oxide cleaning aspect of exercising the generator.

I forgot to add that I usually have a few several hours-long runnings each year for air conditioner use or powering electric tools in a remote site.

My vehicle is a 2006 Roadtrek.
I hope I never have to use the output to run my home fridge due to an extended power outage. But should the need arise, like heaven forbid another hurricane like Harvey that hit just months before I bought my rig, it will be comforting to know I have 2/3 rds of a full tank of gas (at least 20 gals.) which should run the generator for up to a couple of days non-stop.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #15

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a burnt fuel pump. The one that came out had a burnt brown casing and the one that went had a shinny metal one. It was diagnosed by spraying fuel directly into the carburetor after it had stopped and then it ran.

Bill Dillinger
190 Popular

CJBill is offline   Reply With Quote