Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 02:17 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Doesn't do much good to try to be more precise unless you know what discharge level Roadtrek uses to trigger engine start, 80% instead of 90%? or maybe some other value not known for this WAG. Come up with a different WAG than mine but since you don't know when Roadtrek triggers engine start it is still just a WAG...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:21 AM   #22
Platinum Member

There may be a big difference between the Roadtrek Voltrek and the ARV auto-gen feature. That would be the Voltrek seems to require manual trigger while the ARV is an automatic trigger based on parameters the owner sets on the SilverLeaf control center. I have the ARV but I have no first-hand knowledge of the Roadtrek. However, when I was discussing the two variants in another forum, a poster pointed out the manual nature of Voltrek.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:27 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes47 View Post
There may be a big difference between the Roadtrek Voltrek and the ARV auto-gen feature. That would be the Voltrek seems to require manual trigger while the ARV is an automatic trigger based on parameters the owner sets on the SilverLeaf control center. I have the ARV but I have no first-hand knowledge of the Roadtrek. However, when I was discussing the two variants in another forum, a poster pointed out the manual nature of Voltrek.
Voltrek is not manual . you have to turn it on to allow it to do it;s starting function.

if it just always automatically did this what would stop it from starting when you did not want it to-like wincrasher said -in a garage.

the only thing the on/off button does is allow it to work or not
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:51 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Ok, gerrym51, I am getting a better understanding of the Voltrek. Whereas in the ARV one uses the configuration options to enable the auto-start, in the Roadtrek, you simply push a button to enable the feature. It seems that, unlike the ARV, the Roadtrek is pre-configured for the SOC at which it engages. Does it have a block-out feature (like the ARV) to prevent it engaging during "Quiet Time"?
Old 10-18-2015, 03:21 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes47 View Post
Ok, gerrym51, I am getting a better understanding of the Voltrek. Whereas in the ARV one uses the configuration options to enable the auto-start, in the Roadtrek, you simply push a button to enable the feature. It seems that, unlike the ARV, the Roadtrek is pre-configured for the SOC at which it engages. Does it have a block-out feature (like the ARV) to prevent it engaging during "Quiet Time"?
i have no clue. however since it's just an enable button i would say no. from what i've read it will start the engine for about 35 minutes then shut off and will do this up to 5 times.

then the button must be shut off to reset it/
Old 10-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Anyone have a link to Hal's posts about a working Ecotrek?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I think a lot of this discussion is going back to the fact that nobody knows how the system is built. The description of how long it ran AC might indicate (note might) that Roadtrek is using a voltage trigger to start the engine, and not a state of charge trigger. The two can be widely different at different discharge rates, even with lithium, depending on wiring and such. They got into similar type issues with the frig cutout in the past to some degree.

Bottom line would be if they have a true battery monitor setup, run off a shunt. If they don't (which is entirely possible because they have never used one before) have a shunt based monitor, they will be quite inaccurate on estimating state of charge, and thus when to start the engine.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think a lot of this discussion is going back to the fact that nobody knows how the system is built. The description of how long it ran AC might indicate (note might) that Roadtrek is using a voltage trigger to start the engine, and not a state of charge trigger. The two can be widely different at different discharge rates, even with lithium, depending on wiring and such. They got into similar type issues with the frig cutout in the past to some degree.

Bottom line would be if they have a true battery monitor setup, run off a shunt. If they don't (which is entirely possible because they have never used one before) have a shunt based monitor, they will be quite inaccurate on estimating state of charge, and thus when to start the engine.
Jimsaid in an earlier post voltrek triggered at 11.2 volts. however that was back in June. it's possible they have had to come up with a different way to trigger it so we don't know
Old 10-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Anyone have a link to Hal's posts about a working Ecotrek?
Hal's post is on the Roadtrek Owners group not roadtrekking group
Old 10-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Thanks Gerry. Link to group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1676694222568818/
Old 10-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #31
Platinum Member

That's a closed group. You would have to join to read it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #32
Platinum Member

I agree that the WAG I made at the AC run time is not accurate for lots of reasons and that a more accurate number is easy to calculate if you know more details. I guessed too high on the AC load, my use of 90% of battery capacity is likely too high if they are using voltage to trigger engine start, I did not include inverter losses, ...

How long the run time should be in an ideal world is not hard to estimate and Roadtrek could reduce that time by using a less efficient inverter, triggering engine start earlier than later for lots of reasons, etc. Which AC is in the van, if it is a standard roof Dometic then the load is well known but it could be the non roof AC that has a load that is unknown since it is likely unknown in terms of origin at this point. My point, I guess, is that it is easy to come up with a more accurate guess than mine but it may still have too many unknowns to be very precise. Not that it is not interesting to do it, every geek I know, including me, enjoys doing it...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Jimsaid in an earlier post voltrek triggered at 11.2 volts. however that was back in June. it's possible they have had to come up with a different way to trigger it so we don't know
If they trigger at 11.2 volts, they are counting on a big voltage drop from the batteries or wiring, as the lithium batteries themselves shouldn't show a very big drop. If that is the only trigger, though, the engine will not start soon enough in light discharge situations because the lithium batteries won't be allowed to go that low in a lithium setup, I think, by the BMS.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #34
Platinum Member

I just took a quick look at my manual for the Magnum inverter/charger we are using, as they have auto generator starting built in to the control system. Should be the same thing as would be used to start the van engine, although without some of the lockouts like doors, etc.

Here is a grid of what they look at to determine what to do: (wouldn't it be nice if Roadtrek gave their customers something like this, so they know what to expect?)

Old 10-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If they trigger at 11.2 volts, they are counting on a big voltage drop from the batteries or wiring, as the lithium batteries themselves shouldn't show a very big drop. If that is the only trigger, though, the engine will not start soon enough in light discharge situations because the lithium batteries won't be allowed to go that low in a lithium setup, I think, by the BMS.
i suspect some of these numbers are tied into saying people can get 90 percent out of these batteries no problem.

I think these are more theoretical than actual. i also think waiting for a lithium battery to get to 11.2 is very difficult since lithium is like a hockey stick.

it maintains full voltage until almost the end then drastically falls off. I bet Hal's voltrek starts up at a higher voltage-thereby undercutting the 90 percent claim
Old 10-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #36
Platinum Member

A refund.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/road...2975894528061/

Quote:
Andrew Covington

Hope this doesn't come across bad as it is not meant to be but after 8 weeks of trying to get my new RoadTrek Etrek and EcoTrek 1600 working so I can take delivery both the dealer and I have decided the best thing to do is get a refund on the purchase and move on. If they can get the system working I sure would take it but they have worked diligently on it and to Roadtreks credit have changed about everything but still doesn't work...................
Old 10-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #37
Platinum Member

It's ridiculous that the post was deleted.

I just don't understand why anyone puts up with that BS.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
It's ridiculous that the post was deleted.

I just don't understand why anyone puts up with that BS.
X2. Time for them to buck up and admit the issues and layout a plan to recover, so folks know what is going on.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #39
Platinum Member

I sent a PM to Mike. I told him the 5 people with issues. He said he did not know about these ecotrek issues.

However he does not want 5 people with issues posting on his site so he deleted the post.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
I sent a PM to Mike. I told him the 5 people with issues. He said he did not know about these ecotrek issues.

However he does not want 5 people with issues posting on his site so he deleted the post.
Better be careful, or he will put you in the category with all the rest of us "worryworts" on the class B forum!

We just need to grateful that Roadtrek doesn't have influence here, or there would only be about 3 posts with everyone banned.