Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago Fuse opinions?

I went with a family member over Mother's Day Weekend to get her opinion on a short rig for travelling. She definitely liked the Winnebago Fuse, which is based on the Ford Transit, I5 diesel. The Fuse is 24 feet long, just a couple feet longer than the SMB Transit upfit I was planning. Of course, it is wider, but can fit in the driveway (unlike most "C"s which say 24 feet, but are really 26 feet.)

Anyone has any good/bad/ugly opinions on the Winnebago Fuse? I've read no reviews on it so far, except from The Fit RV.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

There is a blog of a couple who purchased the 23A model with the twin beds. This is their first motorhome. They also explain why they chose this model over the Trend 23D

The conFUSEd RVer
Old 05-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks for the link. It does a good job, far more in depth than the Lichtsinn reviews (which are decent for introducing a rig.)
Old 05-10-2016, 01:01 AM   #4

Hi;
My name is Don and I am the one with the conFUSEd RV blog. I will be happy to answer any of your questions. I am not an expert but just a new inexperienced owner.

We have been pretty happy so far with our 23a. I keep telling everyone it is designed for 2 people with an occasional third. Our kids are growing up so we purchased it for my wife and myself (and the beagle) to go exploring. I would say we have been 90% satisfied. The Fuse is not perfect but it is as close as we could find. Everything we do is a new experience for us so take anything I say with that in mind.

Don
2017 Fuse 23a
Tallahassee, Fl
The conFUSEd RVer
dgpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #5

Hi;

My name is Don. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. I am the owner of the confusedrv blog.

Don
2017 Fuse 23a
Tallahassee
The conFUSEd RVer
Old 05-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #6

One other thing. Don't forget to look at the yahoo fuserv group or the Facebook Winnebago Fuse Owners group. There is some more info that you might find useful in these places as well

Don
2017 Fuse 23a
Tallahassee, Fl
The conFUSEd RVer
Old 05-12-2016, 03:24 AM   #7
Platinum Member

We just purchased a Winnebago Trend 23L. Winnebago’s View/Navions, Fuses, and Trends are all roughly the same size. So far we’ve put 3,000 miles and spent 27 consecutive nights in ours and it’s been a pleasure to drive, park, and live out of.

If the Fuse has the layout she wants and she prefers diesel to gas, I don’t think she can go wrong with the Fuse.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:05 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpace View Post
One other thing. Don't forget to look at the yahoo fuserv group or the Facebook Winnebago Fuse Owners group. There is some more info that you might find useful in these places as well

Don
2017 Fuse 23a
Tallahassee, Fl
The conFUSEd RVer
Thank you for the info. I found the Yahoo group (waiting for admin approval), but have not been able to find the FB one.

I'm probably going with the 23t. The main things I am looking to do for upgrades from the start, after watching a few YouTube videos are the following:

1: See about upgrading solar. The ZAMP ZS-30A PWM controller is a five stage, but I'd rather have a MPPT controller, so I can get every watt from panels. I also wouldn't mind tossing on an extra panel or two if there is room on the top, so I can get 200-250 watts coming in. This would go a ways to counteracting the furnace draw when boondocking, as well as keeping the batteries topped off when in storage.

2: Installing a Magnum Energy generator controller. This way, if the batteries drop below 60% SoC, the genset fires up for a few hours. I wish Onan still made the EC-30W controller, because that offered the ability to set quiet hours, and many other nice things.

3: How to deal with generator extended run times, especially boondocking in the Texas heat. I might just go with a hitch mounted cargo rack, my 3000 watt Yamaha, and a few gas cans, as the LP gas generator won't last that long, and propane is very hard to find where I am, especially on weekends.

4: How not to ever wind up putting DEF in the diesel tank. I saw this mistake cost someone with a Sprinter over $10,000, as it destroyed the entire fuel delivery system.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

I have yet to find the Fuse FB group Don mentions also. Doesn't come up in a search....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:24 AM   #10

I looked into the number of Solar Panels that could be mounted on the roof before I purchased the Fuse. There are two open ports to plug in panels on the Solar box on the roof. The controller can handle the additional 200w as well. There is also space to put 2 more 100w panels on the roof. One on the left side sort of matched to the one on the right hand side. The second one can be mounted 90 degrees offset just behind them and the A/C.

There is also one solar port located in the Electrical Bay for a portable panel.

The Facebook group is called "Winnebago Fuse Owners". I copied the format of the group from the one the Trend and Travato guys were using. I will change the group to make it Public from Private to make it easier to see. Sorry this is still a big experiment and we can change it even more or back to private if people have preferences.

Don
2017 Fuse 23a
Tallahassee, Fl
Old 05-13-2016, 01:33 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Still won't come up Don. Post a link for it please

Old 05-13-2016, 01:42 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Private groups will not show up in a Facebook search. I also discovered you cannot share your posting in a closed group and have people not in the closed group see it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:51 AM   #13

I just changed it to a public group, but the link is:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734...?ref=bookmarks

Don
Old 07-22-2016, 01:10 AM   #14

Default Love our Fuse!!

We are on our first vacation trip with our new Fuse and LOVE it. We live in Spokane, WA but flew into Dayton, OH to buy it from a dealer there and drove it home.
Once we got about 4,000 miles on it, the engine programming seemed to change, with more boost, and better mpg. We got a solid 22 mpg today driving through central Oregon. VERY pleased with the mpg and the way it drives. It is just the right size for the two of us.
Love R Fuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:26 AM   #15

What sort of driving are you doing? I have gotten as good as 19mpg but have yet to break 20. I probably drive a little faster than I should. I am curious if you have any tricks to get such good mileage (but I am happy with the 16-17 I am normally getting)

Thanks in advance
Old 05-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #16

If you go with the 23T model, please sit in one first. The 23A model with the twin beds has sofa and twin beds that felt comfortable to sit lounge on, but the 23T model sofa/dinette seats were hard rocks, gosh awful. And right now the Ford doesn't have the ability for both front seats to turn yet, so be aware. But even though the 23A floorplan is a cool floorplan, to us Winnebago dropped the ball on the absolutely uncomfortable sofa and dinette seats. Given they have great sofas in other model motorhomes I don't get it. You may like super hard rock seats, but just sit in one first. I own a Winnebago Era and the seats are comfortable, and their View/Navion sofas are among the best I have ever sat in in any motorhome, but the 23T Fuse seats were awful. It's a mystery why to us because the small dinette in the 23A isn't bad tho not as nice as their View. Winnebago drops the ball with that also with their Travato 59G model dinette sofa seat IMHO.
cjscott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:30 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjscott123 View Post
If you go with the 23T model, please sit in one first. The 23A model with the twin beds has sofa and twin beds that felt comfortable to sit lounge on, but the 23T model sofa/dinette seats were hard rocks, gosh awful. And right now the Ford doesn't have the ability for both front seats to turn yet, so be aware. But even though the 23A floorplan is a cool floorplan, to us Winnebago dropped the ball on the absolutely uncomfortable sofa and dinette seats. Given they have great sofas in other model motorhomes I don't get it. You may like super hard rock seats, but just sit in one first. I own a Winnebago Era and the seats are comfortable, and their View/Navion sofas are among the best I have ever sat in in any motorhome, but the 23T Fuse seats were awful. It's a mystery why to us because the small dinette in the 23A isn't bad tho not as nice as their View. Winnebago drops the ball with that also with their Travato 59G model dinette sofa seat IMHO.
What dinette in the 23A? No such item. They changed the sofa in the A early in 2017, so it's much more comfy now. The 2018 Transit chassis will have the availability of a swivel driver's seat. Whether or not the RV manufacturers will order it is up in the air.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #18

The Winnebago folks continue to do improvements to the Fuse throughout the model year. I suggest you look at the one you are buying to see if you like it or not. The current Sofa is built by Winnebago. The Sofas until just recently were Felxsteel. Which one you like is a personal preference. On my Fuse which has the first sofa I sort of feel like it is tilted forward. The later Flexsteels are pretty flat. I have not seen the new Winnebago one so can't comment.

BTW - We are still loving our 2017 Fuse 23a after 18 months. Just did a trip from Florida to Colorado and back - 3400miles and it was great. Sonya is happy driving it and the other day while her SUV was in the shop she used it as an everyday driver.

Don