Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #1

Default Bubble Top Van vs Roadtrek Style Gas Mileage

I just sold my 1995 Pleasure way 19 ft, which got spectacular fuel mileage. It looked the same as the Roadtrek style.

I'm looking at the Bubble top style of the same year. Which has the bed in the bubble top.

Can anyone give me an idea what they consume in fuel with the bubble top style vans of that era?
OLD

NEW to me
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:54 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I'm thinking that you'll be telling us!

The aerodynamics are different- perhaps the motor, transmission and rear end are same or they could be different than the old unit.

the faster you like to drive the more apparent the aerodynamic difference might be.
you may even find that with the extra weight up top, and the side profile that cross winds are more a consideration and you find yourself more comfy at a more relaxed pace

let us know how you make out

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #3

I have a Great West Classic Supreme (almost like the picture, mine is newer, 1999). I have a rooftop AC on mine thats not in the picture you've attached, it sits even higher on top of the already tall roof.

I get ~19-20 l/100KM with the type of driving my van sees (freeway/major roads mostly, light town in destinations). Hardly spectacular mileage, but all things considered not out of line.

Speeds rarely exceed 100KM/Hr.. Typically 95-97 on the freeway. It will go faster but handling isn't so great at any higher speeds so I keep it slow.

318 (5.2) , 3:92 gears. 80 lbs rear, 55 lbs front tires. ~65 lbs in the air springs. I've weighed the van in traveling configuration and I'm very close to the 9000 Lb gross of the chassis.

Its one of the very few B Van's that actually works with my family of 4.

Your mileage may vary.
Turbowhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

conversion: about 15 MPG at 60 MPH

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #5

Further clarity:

~15 UK MPG @ 60MPH

~12 US MPG @ 60MPH

(wish I got 15 US MPG)
Old 05-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #6

Wow, that is the toughest conversion I've ever done, litres per 100 km to mpg. Actually, I found a good website and it was easy, but not before it hurt my head a little.

I have a 1996 Coachmen with a similar top, believe it is a 350 cid V-8, although still need to confirm the displacement 100%. Tend to get between 12.5 mpg and 13.5 mpg, 14 is my goal but keep falling short each tankful for one reason or another. Drove with a fan cover last trip because a lot of rain and wondered if that hurt, but I am determined to get everything right to get up to 14. Had a big tune up over winter. Guilty, lead foot, I will go 65 to 70 mph if the speed limit allows and everyone else is. Also, I hear a hood bug shield may help. But right now, I can honestly only report about 13 mpg.
96coachmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #7

Last trip I got to 13, although it was ideal conditions (i.e. not windy, almost all freeway).

Seems that when I replaced the max air vent cover with the lower profile max fan integrated fan/cover it made a minor difference. The AC unit is still out in the open on the roof behind it mind you.

The bubble tops are not most optimal in the fuel efficiency/road manners department.

That said, its more efficient then almost anything else that would work for me, short of maybe one of those $printer ba$ed C's. For a B I've got loads of storage (mine also has the "basement" storage option) and decent bed space, which for me was critical.