Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #1

Default Older class B

Because of our budget my husband and I are going to have to purchase a class B that is more than 10 years .Does anyone have any suggestions about which brands are better than others ? We will be living in it full-time and traveling quite a bit .
tsrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Bronze Member

I've got a 24 year old dodge sportsmobile that still going strong. They've been building class Bs since 1961 and still in business, so must be doing something right! Lol
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We found a used Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit that we are delighted with. There's a few listed on rvtrader.com. Quality build on Sprinter.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #4
Platinum Member

The Dodge B250/B350/B2500/B3500 vans that many class-Bs are built on have been around since the early 1970s and are proven to be tough and reliable. But like any used vehicle, the condition depends more on the vehicle's use and how well it was maintained. Stay away from anything with serious rust under the chassis. You can always put on new tires or put in a new engine, but serious chassis rot can be impossible to remedy.

The Dodge vans and trucks of that era do have one issue that comes up as they age, they get sloppy steering boxes. I found an easy fix on DodgeRamSteeringStabilizer.com. I've put it on two vans, and it made a lot of difference on the high mileage van, and will prevent this problem on the low mileage one.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

My 1989 Dodge is still going strong. They are out there. I bought mine during the fail (end of camping) season. Seems to be one of the best times to buy an RV.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
My 1989 Dodge is still going strong. They are out there. I bought mine during the fail (end of camping) season. Seems to be one of the best times to buy an RV.
My 93 Dodge B350 Pleasure Way is still going strong.

I second the fall purchase, it's when people decide they don't have room to store their RV or realize they can't afford storage fees. I bought mine in late fall after searching for around 6 months.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I echo the LTV Free Spirit suggestion. Ours is a 2004 210B and it's been a very good unit.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:44 AM   #8
Platinum Member

We also have a 1990 dodge RAM B250 Leisure Sport Van 'B'. All amenities except hot water & shower which is just fine for us. 4 captain chairs cut into the roominess a bit, but we wouldn't give them up! Really enjoy the van. Oversize tires too.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:40 AM   #9
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

1995 Explorer Dodge 3500. Still going strong. Love our camper. Just bought a used car/motorcycle clam shell type trailer to tow behind for extra stuff.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #10

We bought our 1995 Roadtrek Popular 190 (Dodge chassis) about three years ago for $12,000. It had just over 100,000 miles on it and had been well cared for. We have gradually improved on it with new exterior paint, new windshield, new tires, new generator, suspension work, etc., but it was usable the day we bought it. We are delighted with it and have no regrets. Ours seats and sleeps three, which is just right for us. One big advantage is that the rear area is configured in such a way that it can easily be used as a van for many large things, such as 4x8 sheets of plywood.
Austinrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
Gold Member

We have been looking at class B's. What amazes me are the sales lots and salesman trying to sell class C's as class B or B+. According to RVIA there is not even a class B+ .
We own a Rialta right now and so many of those are being sold as class B when indeed they are a class C. Apparently salesman and customers have it in their head a class C is only an RV with a cabover. When a class c is a cab cutaway with the coach built on to it and the class B is built within the confines of the van body..
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Red face OlderClassB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsrichards View Post
Because of our budget my husband and I are going to have to purchase a class B that is more than 10 years .Does anyone have any suggestions about which brands are better than others ? We will be living in it full-time and traveling quite a bit .
Love my 2004 Pleasure Way Class B..put some $ into it, but nothing outrageous!
My DIY FIXES: Replaced old nasty carpet with waterproof flooring from Home Depot, seats recovered, redid countertops to match my Texas Longhorns Theme, and most importantly, new tires..old ones had tread, but when I had a huge blowout on I-10 in MS, I got new ones..am in process of adding tire pressure monitoring system, and there were a few mechanical issues, but it looks and runs great!
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:54 AM   #13
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinrt View Post
We bought our 1995 Roadtrek Popular 190 (Dodge chassis) about three years ago for $12,000. It had just over 100,000 miles on it and had been well cared for. We have gradually improved on it with new exterior paint, new windshield, new tires, new generator, suspension work, etc., but it was usable the day we bought it. We are delighted with it and have no regrets. Ours seats and sleeps three, which is just right for us. One big advantage is that the rear area is configured in such a way that it can easily be used as a van for many large things, such as 4x8 sheets of plywood.
If you don't mind me asking. How much was the paint job and where? Thanks.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #14
Silver Member

I have a 1987 Coachman high roof class b with even hot water and a shower and I love it.
It is also cheap to fix because it is the last year of carbeurator.
Just check maintenance on an older the vehicle and make sure any rust is minimal. Mine has none.
It only has 60 thousand miles too.
That said, if you are really gonna live in it I would suggest a very small class a or class c, or a b+.
I also have a 1988 b+, which is a Chevy Astro minivan on front with a class c style rear. It's an allegro. It doesnt have the bunks over the front which makes it more aeorodynamic(and what makes it a b+) not a class c.
It's a fuel injected 4.3 Chevy and it does 70 with no problem while getting 12.5 mpg and it's WAY roomier than a class b, and it even came w air ride.
Class B's are very narrow and cramped for 2 people and have ZERO storage space and are worse insulated than anything else because you can't afford to lose any width.
Trust me, I've had, or presently have, every size and shape of motorhome and trailer and a B is great for one person and a dog or for vacations, but for living in full time w 2 people anything else even in the smallest size you can find one in is better than a class b. If you insist on really small then let me again suggest one of the allegro b+ campers. I love mine and lived in it for three years with my labrador retriever and it was way more comfortable than a class B simply because of that little extra width and it has a fully functional shower/bath that is small but not tiny.
Another option to consider would be a truck w a slide in camper. Those r cheaper and roomier and are better insulated and can be set up on a 4x4 and still have enough power to pull a trailer and the only downside is not "being one" with the drivers compartment.
I know this is a class b forum, but 2 people full time and four seasons in a class b is a SERIOUS project in camping MINIMALLY.
I would say the most expensive and troublesome way to do it to be quite honest.
The only exception would be if y'all are gonna never stay more than 2 days in a place and r gonna put 30 thousand miles per year on, then a diesel sprinter class b might be the right choice.
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #15
Silver Member

Someone commented that a b+ is not a real category, which is technically true but meaningless.
A minivan with no bunks over cabs that is a cutaway has more in common with a class b than a full size can cutaway with a bunk over the cab.
The same is true with a smaller and narrower sprinter camper addition without a bunk over the cab.
Technically they are all class c cutaways but again the smaller ones have more in common w a class b and hense why people.have sensibly started calling them B+.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #16
Silver Member

Oh, and my class b is a Ford van w a V8 that gets worse milage(10mpg) than my v6 b+ but it does have a little more power.
I bought these for 2500.00 each, which left money for some updates.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #17
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camoman View Post
Someone commented that a b+ is not a real category, which is technically true but meaningless.
A minivan with no bunks over cabs that is a cutaway has more in common with a class b than a full size can cutaway with a bunk over the cab.
The same is true with a smaller and narrower sprinter camper addition without a bunk over the cab.
Technically they are all class c cutaways but again the smaller ones have more in common w a class b and hense why people.have sensibly started calling them B+.
So the Chassis is of no or little importance concerning the differences?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:40 AM   #18
Silver Member

The chassis on a class B and on a B+ are gonna be exactly the same.
In fact, the chassis on a class C is the same as a class B except that they spec a heavier front and rear suspension and rear end for the added weight.
They all start out as vans.
There are different "weights" of vans though, from a "250" to a "350, 450, 550, and 650" in the case of Ford's for instance.
But a b or a B+ are gonna typically be between a 250 and a 350.
My class B is a 250(3/4 ton) and my b+ is a custom from a LESS THAN 3/4 ton Chevy Astro minivan w a custom rear air suspension on a Chevy single wheel rear end.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #19

Hello, I have a 1992 dodge 350 - are you with the company will this work on my roadtrek?? thank you
NadineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #20
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camoman View Post
The chassis on a class B and on a B+ are gonna be exactly the same.
In fact, the chassis on a class C is the same as a class B except that they spec a heavier front and rear suspension and rear end for the added weight.
They all start out as vans.
There are different "weights" of vans though, from a "250" to a "350, 450, 550, and 650" in the case of Ford's for instance.
But a b or a B+ are gonna typically be between a 250 and a 350.
My class B is a 250(3/4 ton) and my b+ is a custom from a LESS THAN 3/4 ton Chevy Astro minivan w a custom rear air suspension on a Chevy single wheel rear end.
That's a bunch of double talks LOL
They are the same, except, they are not the same?