Old 08-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #31
Silver Member

I'm glad to hear it's possible!
I've just spent a four hours cleaning. The cushions are in the sun right now. They are musty smelling. I'd love to just get new cushions entirely. Where did you get the foam for the rear cushions? (I don't suppose someone makes them to order, do they?)

The passenger side door is the worse. My guess is that an owner left it parked in the rain and it sat wet for quite some time. The fabric on the passenger side back door is the worse... I just tried very hot water and detergent and scrubbed, rinsed, scrubbed, etc. Once it dries I'll be able to tell if it's better or not.

I'm considering renting a steam cleaner for the attached fabrics. Anyone ever have any luck with that?

-Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklugie View Post
When I bought my Roadtrek in January, it was stinky from cigarette smoke. I replaced the foam for the rear cushion seat/beds. Washed the cushion covers also. I also took my den's (Lasko brand) fan, placed it in the van and ran it for a full week WITH THE ION GENERATOR SETTING ON. This pretty much took odors out of permeable/fabric materials. I also wiped down ALL solid surfaces including full headliner. I am clean and sweet smelling now, or rather the van is!

VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #32
Site Team

There are also commercial establishments that can do industrial-strength ion treatments as well. They can be helpful in many cases.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #33
Platinum Member

You mentioned the black switch by the hot water tank - it is the switch you use if you are using electric instead of propane. Sounds like you are having a good time...it will get better as the problems disappear. Ron
Old 08-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #34
Platinum Member

You mentioned the black switch by the hot water tank - it is the switch you use if you are using electric instead of propane. Sounds like you are having a good time...it will get better as the problems disappear. Ron
Old 08-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #35
Silver Member

Hi Ron,
I actually meant the switch next to it... which turns out to be the side "porch" exterior light!
I did my best to de-odorize the RV today, including every trick on the internet. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give up on the cushions and look for replacements. The hard surfaces clean up well, but even the fabric on the interior is a bit musty. It's going to be a slow process. I'm going to start looking for replacement cushions... I'm hoping I can just order some.

Has anyone tried steam cleaning the fabric walls? Or something like that? I've never heard of a professional ionization treatment! More to look up!

-Pete

VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote