Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

Default Hi All

Just bought a new-to-me 1998 RT Popular. We started out camping back in the early '70s in a tent then bought one of the customized vans with an icebox, foldaway bed and of course, murals on the sides. Later moved up to a Class C Brougham and then to a Class A Flair which I hated so much I practically gave it away to get rid of it....even after dumping many dollars into it in preparation to visit Alaska from the lower forty-eight.....which we never did.
Retired now and learning a lot about Class Bs from this forum.
Thanks
J Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Bronze Member

J Dee, Welcome to the forum, and happy travels with your class B.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dee View Post
Just bought a new-to-me 1998 RT Popular. We started out camping back in the early '70s in a tent then bought one of the customized vans with an icebox, foldaway bed and of course, murals on the sides. Later moved up to a Class C Brougham and then to a Class A Flair which I hated so much I practically gave it away to get rid of it....even after dumping many dollars into it in preparation to visit Alaska from the lower forty-eight.....which we never did.
Retired now and learning a lot about Class Bs from this forum.
Thanks
Welcome J Dee!

Every size of rv is a compromise. We bought a class b to be able to store it in our driveway. Plus, we take driving trips and never stay more than one night in a given location. A class b is a pleasure to drive (relatively speaking) and suits us. Happy Travels!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #4
Silver Member

Default My 1998 RT 190

8 years ago I bought my first and only RV. It was a 98' 190 RT with 95,000 miles. A beauty that had two previous owners w/o kids and pets. They took great care of the RT. It now has 115,000 miles. I have replaced the transmission but no other major repairs.

It drives like a car and is a pleasure to drive. I paid $20,000 which was such a deal. Anyway, enjoy your 98' 190 and take good care of it and it will take good care of you.

Check out the photo of my 98'. Now 20 years old and on its way to becoming a classic. I have had minor issues so if you have questions that I may be able to answer let me know. Bob
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcome. My 190 is the same color scheme as yours, though yours is nicer looking than mine. Mine has a bit more wear and tear....a couple small dings. But it is fairly low mileage at 83,700. Do you have the RT armoire in yours? Would like to see what it looks like if you do.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dee View Post
Thanks for the welcome. My 190 is the same color scheme as yours, though yours is nicer looking than mine. Mine has a bit more wear and tear....a couple small dings. But it is fairly low mileage at 83,700. Do you have the RT armoire in yours? Would like to see what it looks like if you do.
Yes, it has the armoire. Will post photo. May be a few days.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:59 AM   #7
Silver Member

J Dee[,
Have't forgotten you on the photos. Just got sidetracked. Will get the photos out soon of the armoire. Sorry for the delay.

Bob
Old 09-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #8

Thanks. Very curious as to what it looks like.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:39 AM   #9
Silver Member

Hi J Dee, I have posted two Armoire photos, they are attached to my RT photo. When the Armoire is open you will see a space on the bottom right for long clothes like a coat to hang in the slot to the right of the furnace. Let me know if you have questions. Sorry for the fuzziness of the photos. Auto photo must have been off. Bob
Old 10-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #10

Bob,
Thanks for posting pics.

My RT has a third seat behind the passenger seat. When I bought it, the owner had removed the seat and replaced it with a repurposed wooden file cabinet. He said that when it came from the factory, you could order a storage cabinet in place of the seat and I THOUGHT he had said they called it an "armoire". However, I could be mistaken as there was a lot to take in during the walk thru. Anyway, he had the seat in storage and gave that to me and in excellent condition. But curious as to what the cabinet that replaced the seat looked like. Do you have any idea what he was talking about?
Thanks, J Dee
Old 10-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
Platinum Member

On the Chevy's the permanent armoire option was on the passenger side and it looked like this: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f1...9.html#post751 - the RV would have had a closet on the driver side behind the driver seat and the armoire in place of the third passenger seat on the passenger side.

Matching add-on cabinetry used to be available to purchase. I don't know if it still is.

Add-on cabinets link 1: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...dtreks-74.html

Add-on cabinets link 2: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...treks-453.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #12

Markopolo,
I followed all the links and everything is pretty clear now.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #13
Silver Member

J Dee,

RT calls the two pics I posted for you a closet not an armoire. My error. Here is a link about RT armoire instead of the passenger seat. You will find several variations of an armoire. Most homemade for extra storage. In mine I like the extra passenger seat because it allows more window space and less claustrophobia in the small 190 interior.
https://www.rv.net/FORUM/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

Hope this helps, Bob