Old 01-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

Default 2014 agile vs ascent

I am looking at both of these models and the only differences I really see is solar power and 2 agm batteries in the agile. The ascent is priced 10,000 lower than the agile. I was looking for any thoughts and advice on these models and manufacturers. Thanks

Somdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2014 agile vs ascent

Welcome to the forum

As you've noted Roadtrek's Agile comes standard with more battery capacity but they also give the option of adding even more batteries. Also Roadtrek includes an inverter for running household 110 volt items off your 12 volt system that is great if you look for camping spots that don't have electricity.

Pleasure-Way's Ascent video:

[youtube8zlcr1l]uRaPzznK6cc[/youtube8zlcr1l]

Kitchen is on the drivers side on the Roadtrek and passenger side on the Pleasure-Way.

You really have to see both of them to see which one you prefer.

Both companies have great warranties.

Look at 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder engines on the the 2014 models. Also look at hitch rating capacities if you'll be towing anything.

Roadtrek specs: http://www.roadtrek.com/specifications_2013.aspx
Pleasure-Way Ascent specs: http://www.pleasureway.com/ascent-specs/

Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somdpd
I am looking at both of these models and the only differences I really see is solar power and 2 agm batteries in the agile. The ascent is priced 10,000 lower than the agile. I was looking for any thoughts and advice on these models and manufacturers. Thanks
Hey, welcome to this forum. Marcopolo keeps up a good setup over here.

As I said over on rv.net, if you look at the 2 floor plans, the RT is backwards from the considered ideal setup of kitchen on the curb side. Also, my opinion is when you start adding more electronic gadgets, aka, that big inverter & solar to power the 120v systems, you are introducing more complexity to the mix, not to mention the high $$$ to fix it all when it does break.
I also think if you compare side to side as we were able to do at an RV show, we thought the wood and trim quality was better on the Pleasureway vs the RT.
The smaller fresh water tank is no big deal unless you are looking to do a lot of dry camping or boondocking. Then you may have to carry an extra few gallons of fresh water in the PW.
Hopefully you'll get more opinions that won't confuse you even more.....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I think the kitchen side thing is totally personal choice, I know that we looked at lots of different models and preferred the kitchen on the drivers side. The low microwave in the Agile would be the biggest downside for us. Both use way more space than they can spare in such a small B, in our opinion. If they have a power sofa, that also eats valuable space.

We did run into a couple while we were camping last year that had just gotten an Ascent a couple of weeks earlier, and they were having buyers remorse, to a larger than normal extent, because of the lack or storage space. They were seriously considering trading it on something bigger. We were not surprised that when they went through our C190P Roadtrek, they were amazed at how much room we had for stuff, compared to the Ascent.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 AM   #5
Platinum Member

You mentioned the batteries. With the additional battery option on the Agile, it has double the battery capacity of the Ascent. That could come in handy with the electric frig.

I also could not find the closet on the Ascent. I also looked on the video and floor plan, but can't find a place to hang clothes.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #6
Platinum Member

He's already made his decision. They are going for the Agile. Announced it on his thread on RV.net. Wish them luck and hope they don't spend all their free time in the shop with that RT

Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

That's actually another person. Similar story though with the PW dealer being much farther away.

Another B soon to be on the roads

wabbit - you've got a good eye for detail, I didn't realize it doesn't have a closet for hanging clothes.

The sleeping arrangement in the Ascent looks comfy for two people and easy for each to get out of bed.
http://www.pleasureway.com/ascent/

Is it cross-ways sleeping in the Agile or angled for a second person?
http://www.roadtrek.com/models.aspx?Mod ... ountry=USA
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Roadtrek lists the twin beds in the Agile as 76" left and 72" right, which is the same as the 190 Popular. The Popular doesn't show an angled pieces when they go to the king size bed, though. The specs would indicate the bed in the Agile and Popular are the same size, but Roadtrek specs are often not very accurate.

I had forgotten about the no clothes storage in the Ascent, the folks we met did mention that, as they wanted hanging area. I wouldn't matter to us, as we don't hang any clothes and have put shelves and drawers in both of our armoirs.

Looking at the pix, and many of the other ones of newer models, it sure looks to me that everyone is putting in bigger stoves and sinks, or turning them to use more room. Most now seem to have almost no bare counterspace, so you would have to work on top of the sink or stove cover. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
Platinum Member

You know some of the smaller class B companies like PW, GWV, Advanced and maybe?? RT, will work with you on an order to delete some of the "standard" item they normally include.
These days if we were to order a new unit from one of these, we'd have them delete the stove top. We rarely use ours. It's dust and junk collector down in those little cravasses on our unit.
That would give a bit more counter space.....

In another thought. I wonder who is going to be the first to build an Ascent/Agile class B sized unit on the ProMaster?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #10

No, I have not made a decision yet on either model, but this has been great feedback and discussion. Thanks

Somdpd is offline   Reply With Quote