Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 6
Default 2017 Travato Refrigerator

Our refrigerator in our 2017 Travato Model 59G lights on gas but won't stay lit once we are underway ? Anyone else have this problem ? My refrigerator is a Dometic Model RML 8330 Gas,12v, and 120v AC model.
__________________

bpestun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 55
Default

question: did it stay lit while under way previously?

I had a Winnebago era with 3 way fridge. It stayed lit almost all the time - only once did I find it not lit upon reaching destination. I blamed it on windy driving conditions and figured heavy cross winds may have blown it out.
There is a metal heat shielding around the flame - maybe yours has slipped loose or lost a screw allowing more air to blow flame?
__________________

EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 489
Default

I used to have the fridge on propane while driving. Then I learned how dangerous that can be, so I switched to using the 12v as I have a 3-way. The 12v option only maintains the temperature, so be sure the fridge is cooled down using 120v or propane ahead of time. Be sure to switch to propane if stopped for a long time as the 12v can pull the batteries down quickly when the engine is not running.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 55
Default

It is true that driving with propane flame lit is considered dangerous and out right illegal is some situations. I think some states may have laws against it while under way. I know that some areas forbid it while traveling in tunnels or on ferries.
And even require RVs to shut off propane supply altogether either closing the hand valve or shutting off via a safety solenoid switch.

Most gas stations have signs something to the effect “No Open Flames Within 50 Feet of Pumps” or some form of that.
And if you think about it the Travato G and many other RVs have the refrigerator on same side as the gas cap. So yea it’s risky fueling your RV while your propane refrigerator is lit.

Have I done it? Yea many many times. I’m not condoning it at all. But I’m willing to bet there are a lot of RVs out there with open flames burning while at the gas pump.

Gives one something to think about!
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:03 AM   #5
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
It is true that driving with propane flame lit is considered dangerous and out right illegal is some situations. I think some states may have laws against it while under way. I know that some areas forbid it while traveling in tunnels or on ferries.
And even require RVs to shut off propane supply altogether either closing the hand valve or shutting off via a safety solenoid switch.

Most gas stations have signs something to the effect “No Open Flames Within 50 Feet of Pumps” or some form of that.
And if you think about it the Travato G and many other RVs have the refrigerator on same side as the gas cap. So yea it’s risky fueling your RV while your propane refrigerator is lit.
It is certainly true that it is unsafe and often illegal to run propane appliances at gas stations, propane fueling stations, and some tunnels.

However, I have never heard of it being illegal in any state. Any documentation of this?
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:55 AM   #6
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 55
Default 2017 Travato Refrigerator

Ok challenge accepted:

My comment:
“I think some states may have laws against it while under way”
Was directed at tunnels. Not necessarily related to general travel, but I guess that wasn’t clear as I wrote it.

Sue me for unclear communication - lol

I should probably proof read more often.

I don’t think there are laws against valves being open in general while traveling - none that I can confirm other than on certain roads or specific areas like ferries, tunnels, etc.

But a challenge is a challenge

This site states it’s illegal to travel with propane on. No real detail on specifically if just in tunnels or on highway, it just says “illegal to travel with valves open” so take it for whatever that’s worth.

Scroll to bottom of article:
https://www.tripsavvy.com/rv-propane-safety-505111

Also A couple of states specifically listed as no propane in certain tunnels valves or no valves.
Just no propane in those tunnels period.
See Maryland and New York:

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...-road-laws.php

https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...icleID=2377513

Other states like Texas say propane ok if valves closed in certain tunnels.

Personally I have always driven with my propane fridge on and running.
Just 2 weeks ago I drove through the Mobile Tunnel on I-10, and yes I forgot to stop and close valves, fortunately no one caught me doing that.
But then maybe it’s ok in Alabama?

Do I condone this practice - NO
But I do make fun of it because I am a realist and I know most of the other RVs traveling don’t close theirs either.

Same goes for gas stations:
People just gas up even with a propane fridge burning a few feet away.
That one worries me some, it’s a risk few even realize.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:02 AM   #7
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27
Default

"Personally I have always driven with my propane fridge on and running.
Just 2 weeks ago I drove through the Mobile Tunnel on I-10, and yes I forgot to stop and close valves, fortunately no one caught me doing that.
But then maybe it’s ok in Alabama?

Do I condone this practice - NO
But I do make fun of it because I am a realist and I know most of the other RVs traveling don’t close theirs either.

Same goes for gas stations:
People just gas up even with a propane fridge burning a few feet away.
That one worries me some, it’s a risk few even realize."


I would caution you on being a realist on this forum. It can be almost as hazardous
wrightstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
eric1514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ID AZ
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpestun View Post
Our refrigerator in our 2017 Travato Model 59G lights on gas but won't stay lit once we are underway ? Anyone else have this problem ? My refrigerator is a Dometic Model RML 8330 Gas,12v, and 120v AC model.
Check out this thread. Read it all the way to the end for an alternative.

LINK
__________________
"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 41
Default

My Winne Era has the same refrigerator. The flame on mine also blows out while driving.
I just leave it on 120 AC and let it run through the inverter while driving. Before I had the inverter I left it on 12 vdc while driving.
__________________
2019 Crossfit 22CEB
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
My Winne Era has the same refrigerator. The flame on mine also blows out while driving.
I just leave it on 120 AC and let it run through the inverter while driving. Before I had the inverter I left it on 12 vdc while driving.
Does the fridge work better on the 120v inverter than on 12v?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #11
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Does the fridge work better on the 120v inverter than on 12v?
I think so, it seems that at best the 12 volts could barely maintain the temp in hot weather.
I believe this model refrigerator also has no thermostatic temperature control on12vdc or gas, it's all or nothing. Gas mode has to be manually lit by pushing an igniter.
__________________
2019 Crossfit 22CEB
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:38 AM   #12
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightstuf View Post
I would caution you on being a realist on this forum. It can be almost as hazardous
LOL YES that is good advice! And very true! Thanks I’ll try not to take such risks in the future!
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #13
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: BC
Posts: 40
Smile Gas-station fire destroys Indiana couple’s RV

HOUMA — An Indiana couple’s RV caught fire at a Barrow Street gas station Wednesday, burning for about a half hour as spilled fuel and a propane tank on the vehicle fed the flames.
Irwin Binder and his wife, Linda, escaped unharmed with their Yorkshire terrier, Holly. Binder, 73, said the blaze started as he prepared to fill up the Roadtrek recreational vehicle and the nozzle spewed gasoline, igniting when it came into contact with a pilot light on the RV.

See: https://www.houmatoday.com/news/2010...ana-couples-rv

STRONGLY SUGGEST you turn off fridge pilot lights at gas stations, even if you have a diesel vehicle, because someone else's close by gas vehicle gasoline fumes could ignite from your pilot light. Especially in hot weather. Saw a diesel owner saying he did not turn off pilot as he has diesel.
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
eric1514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ID AZ
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks@yvr View Post
HOUMA — An Indiana couple’s RV caught fire at a Barrow Street gas station Wednesday, burning for about a half hour as spilled fuel and a propane tank on the vehicle fed the flames.
Irwin Binder and his wife, Linda, escaped unharmed with their Yorkshire terrier, Holly. Binder, 73, said the blaze started as he prepared to fill up the Roadtrek recreational vehicle and the nozzle spewed gasoline, igniting when it came into contact with a pilot light on the RV.

See: https://www.houmatoday.com/news/2010...ana-couples-rv

STRONGLY SUGGEST you turn off fridge pilot lights at gas stations, even if you have a diesel vehicle, because someone else's close by gas vehicle gasoline fumes could ignite from your pilot light. Especially in hot weather. Saw a diesel owner saying he did not turn off pilot as he has diesel.
From 2010? Nothing more recent?
__________________
"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:23 AM   #15
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: BC
Posts: 40
Default

Plenty of more recent ones - just google "RV Fire at gas station" it happens quite frequently unfortunately.
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:52 AM   #16
Platinum Member
 
eric1514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ID AZ
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks@yvr View Post
Plenty of more recent ones - just google "RV Fire at gas station" it happens quite frequently unfortunately.
I did and on the first page of results there was exactly one fire at the pump, the incident you posted. It doesn't happen quite frequently. That's not to say it's not a good idea to shut off the flame when tanking up, but 1 event in 8-9 years is not "frequently".
__________________
"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #17
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 55
Default

Freak accident indeed, I read the article and there is controversy over exactly how it all started.
One possible scenario was that the RV owner had the gasoline nozzle on as he turned on the pump whether his doing or a previous user had it locked open. . (As in already squeezed the valve handle or had it locked in open as he selected fuel grade) this starting the pump flow before the nozzle was inserted into the gas tank filler.
I’m assuming he would immediately attempt to stick it in the gas fill hole - probably slinging raw fuel all over the place!
The article is not completely clear on the exact events - but it suggests that fuel was somehow sprayed out and got on the side of van.
In any case, raw fuel on van in vicinity of the refrigerator propane open flame is a recipe for disaster!

Regardless if the fire was result of negligence from the driver or faulty equipment or someone previously leaving the handle in locked open position, it was a freak incident that could happen to anyone.

Does make a good argument for shutting off your propane flame before fueling up.
Accidentally Spilling fuel is a real potential scenario, regardless of who or what causes it.

Personally this is another reason I’m glad my Travato has a compressor refrigerator. No open flame is one less worry.
__________________

EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dometic fridge problems, travato59g

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×