Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2017, 03:18 AM   #1

Default Affordable plans with 1 or 2 additional passenger seats up front?

Hello,

We are looking for something that seats one or two passengers just behind the driver and front passenger. A bench or captains chairs would be OK as long as the seating is comfortable. Our primary purposes will be: 1) a road trip vehicle for 3-4 passengers; and 2) a vehicle for 1-2 night camping trips for 2 people.

For our purposes, a spec level (and cost) closer to the Sprinter Crew Van end of the continuum would be preferable. Something like the Travato is pretty close, but that bench seat won’t satisfy the “reasonable comfort” criteria for the second row passengers.

In researching I have considered some of the following, which have floorplans that are pretty close. Unfortunately, most of them are higher spec and higher price.
  • Winnebago Era 70X
  • Coachmen Galleria Series
  • Safari Condo
  • Roadtrek CS or RS Adventurous or Etrek or 190 or 170
  • Winnebago Travato
  • Sprinter Crew Van with a Queen Mattress and Cassette Toilet in Back
Are there any other manufacturers or plans that you would suggest we consider?

Thank you very much for your thoughts.
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:43 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Sportsmobile

Did you look into Sportsmobile floor plans, I am pretty sure they should have a layout to meet your needs.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Did you look into Sportsmobile floor plans, I am pretty sure they should have a layout to meet your needs.
Thank you. That would probably be a good solution to put in only what we want.

I was hoping to find something else like the Travato, which seems like pretty good bang for the buck, but with more comfortable second row seating.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #4

I wanted to add that we want the additional passenger seats to have good safety belts and be solidly attached to the chassis.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugawi View Post
Hello,

We are looking for something that seats one or two passengers just behind the driver and front passenger. A bench or captains chairs would be OK as long as the seating is comfortable.

For our purposes, a spec level (and cost) closer to the Sprinter Crew Van end of the continuum would be preferable.
Are there any other manufacturers or plans that you would suggest we consider?

Thank you very much for your thoughts.
I learned something today. I didn't even know what a Sprinter Crew Van is until I looked it up. They run under $30k used with low miles. You're not going to find much in a B-van motorhome that meets your specifications of four captain's chairs less than 15 years old for that... and then in the Y2K-Y2K5 year range you have one choice, and that's Roadtrek. There may be another odd one out there too, but the Roadtreks with four seats will be the most plentiful.

In current models, probably the closest thing you'll find that'll be "affordable" will be an Airstream Avenue four-seater... and they're pretty rare. There's exactly one of them listed on RVTrader.com right now... a 2010 with 41k miles, and they're asking $60k for it.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...enue-117349811

Maybe the best thing you could do in that price range would be to pick up a Sprinter Crew and build it out the way you want it in the back.

Your other alternative is to find a touring passenger van that has a back seat that turns into a bed. You won't have RV amenities in it, but it'll serve the purpose too, and those are readily available on the used market.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

Look for Roadtrek "Versatile" models.
They come in different lengths, all are built on Chevy Express chassis.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #7

Thank you for the additional suggestions above