Old 10-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #1

Default Brake Problem - RT 05C210P

At 52k miles we are experiencing brake problems on long, steep (8%) grades. At about 2/3's of the way down the brakes begin to shudder and this gets more violent as the brakes get hotter. I'm hearing on other forums that this is a characteristic of the stock brakes on the mid-2000 Chevy van 3500. My question is, does anyone on this forum have recommendations for rotor and pad replacements? I've looked at the Power Stop brand on the internet and the NAPA offerings, but I have no clue what will work the best for the money. Any ideas??

Neal 05C210P "Daisy II"

Old 10-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Brake Problem - RT 05C210P

Looks like some answers here: http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuse ... 528349.cfm

Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Might check out Roadtrek Owner's Group, that was a big discussion about two months ago. I think one Trekker changed out to something he found on the net and he gave a good rating to it. Safe travels.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #4

I've decided to go with Raybestos "Premium - Advanced Technology" rotors and NAPA "Severe Duty" semi-metallic pads. I'll post how they have worked when I get them on and have gone down my first 7%+ mountain grade.

Neal 05C210P "Daisy II"
Old 11-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Please do. I usually get mine serviced before we head any where near the Rockies. It's expensive,
but as you say, it's better than having to deal with the moans and groans when you're headed downhill
out there. I try a combination of downshifting and light, repetitive, braking to reduce the heat buildup.
There was a similar discussion on the Yahoo Roadtrek Group in the last 6 months, but I couldn't track down
the archived files on it. Some people had tried 3rd party heavier duty brake parts, including vented discs
and some sort of synthetic pads, I believe.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Brakes are usually the limiting factors for determining GVW. Usually the maximum axle load will be higher than the max posted limit in the owners manual.

When our RT's are fully loaded for a trip, they are nearly at the posted GVW (9600 lbs). This really means the brakes are nearly maxed out too.

It would be great, if we could source a set of front brakes, designed for the higher GVW van.

I installed a set of Silverado knuckles on my van for a while and the van brakes did mount to them, with a .40" spacer to line up the rotor and caliper. The 2006-2007 Silverado 3500 HD has a GVW of 11,400 lbs (1,800 over the the van GVW). I wonder if the factory Silverado parts would bolt on to our vehicles, and improve the braking capacity? Or are they already the same parts?

2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote