Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 03:33 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Class b for two tall people

Husband is 6'3. Don't need four seats up front. Just a comfortable bed. Swivel front chairs to a table and enough space to store a small grill and two outdoor chairs. I've searched here for tall, seen a few that could work. Anyone in our situation that's happy with your choice?
Lkwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Advanced RV built a few Class B RVs based on the Sprinter super-high roof with 7 ft high interiors. Unfortunately Mercedes Benz stopped selling the super-high model.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Ford's Transit high-roof would provide the most clearance for tall users, with 6'6 finished finished inside height. It's also probably the only unit that would accommodate 6'3 standing height in the shower, since the shower pan reduces clearance a couple inches or so.

Unfortunately the only two production Class B Transits, Winnebago Paseo and Coachman Crossfit, haven't bothered to include longer beds to match the increased standing height. So a custom Transit conversion might be your only route for both tall height and sleeping accommodations in a B.

Sportsmobile and Van Specialties both will build custom Transit Class B conversions with accommodations to match your needs. Advanced RV makes great high-end conversions but I don't think they currently convert Transits.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Thank you both for your replies, the Advanced RVs look lovely. I may give them a call, along with Sportsmobile and Van Specs.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
It's also probably the only unit that would accommodate 6'3 standing height in the shower, since the shower pan reduces clearance a couple inches or so.
You can make up those couple of inches in the shower with a skylight. I am 6'3" and our GWV legend's bath gives me more than enough head room using this technique.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
You can make up those couple of inches in the shower with a skylight. I am 6'3" and our GWV legend's bath gives me more than enough head room using this technique.
That's great news, thank you
Old 01-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkwilson View Post
Thank you both for your replies, the Advanced RVs look lovely. I may give them a call, along with Sportsmobile and Van Specs.
If you are serious about Advanced RV, the regular Sprinter height inside is 6'-3" and should work. In the bathroom all have a bubble skylight that gives yet more height to stand under. They build custom beds to meet needs and in the extended body model it is easy for them to build what you want. Here is my double-glazed bubble skylight.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
If you are serious about Advanced RV, the regular Sprinter height inside is 6'-3" and should work. In the bathroom all have a bubble skylight that gives yet more height to stand under. They build custom beds to meet needs and in the extended body model it is easy for them to build what you want. Here is my double-glazed bubble skylight.

I took a look at the rest of your photos, that's a beautiful RV.

I also looked at the GW and they are out of business? And had renamed as Sterling, is that a problem? They look beautiful too.

We're in Sonoma County and there's a large RV center up in Davis that we're going to go to to check out heights but it's good to know that the Sprinter's interior height is 6'3" (and who knows, he may have shrunk a bit in later years, I know I have
Old 01-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Advanced RV's owner of the company is 6'-3" and is well aware of height issues. He actually uses and travels in his product.

Great West Vans is history. Sterling bought them in 2012 and ran the company in the ground and I doubt it will ever recover. You can buy used ones and if you are in the used market it would be a good choice. Great West Van was a quality product when being built, better than Winnebago, Roadtrek and Airstream and about on par with Pleasure-way but with better design and more innovation.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I'm 6'3" in a Travato G with no problems. Very happy. And the K model has an even longer bed..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Advanced RV built a few Class B RVs based on the Sprinter super-high roof with 7 ft high interiors. Unfortunately Mercedes Benz stopped selling the super-high model.
I just looked at the Mercedes Sprinter web site and the Super High Roof is still available. It has to be a 170" WB model and you can't get it as a 4x4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (85.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
I'm 6'3" in a Travato G with no problems. Very happy. And the K model has an even longer bed..
Thank you,

The double bed might be a bit narrow, but the ERA on their website looks great
Old 01-28-2017, 12:31 AM   #13
g1g
Platinum Member

Check out Sportsmobile. They have a lot of variations and may custom build one for you
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:47 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Anything on a HR Promaster should be tall enough.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Here's a friendly warning: Although the interior of the Sprinter is 6'3", there's this thing called a plenum that hangs down from the ceiling about 3 inches, right smack dab in the center aisle. It's the air conditioner's distribution box. Some companies, like Airstream, put it right near the galley, and right in the perfect spot for a tall person to bang their head if they're not looking. I got a nasty bruise from one of those.

PleasureWay, Advanced RV and some others place it over the bed, in the rear of the coach. In that location, it's not in the way because you don't usually stand up in bed.

If you're tall and gifted at doing the limbo, this isn't an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg plenum.jpeg (33.0 KB, 116 views)
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post

If you're tall and gifted at doing the limbo, this isn't an issue.
Thanks for that!! He's used to ducking (a brit so small was the norm) but that would probably be a deal breaker.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Here's a diagram that shows the issue a little better. This is the Airstream Interstate Grand Tour from a couple of years ago. As of last month, the AC is still in the same place on the Airstream.

The plenum may not be exactly where the outside of the AC is located, but it's got to be within a few inches. As I said, Airstream is not the only one. Other manufacturers also put the AC in places that are a problem for tall folks.
Attached Images
File Type: png plenum location.png (601.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Can I ask what you are driving and do you like it?
Old 01-30-2017, 06:04 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I'm still saving my pennies for an RV, waiting to retire. My family's done car camping since I was four years old. I can be *extremely* picky when it comes to vehicles. I don't know anybody else who watched all of the crash test videos for every model in the class that I was interested in before deciding to buy a car. Unfortunately, that research proved not to be in vain. My car was totaled on the freeway by a distracted driver. I'm OK, so I'm glad and grateful that I did it.

Because I'm so picky, I've spent a long time looking at the ergonomics of RVs for a tall person and have walked through several. The more I've looked, the more I've learned. I've kept a database of RVs for a few years so that I can compare things that are important to me. Here's my list of the ergonomic things that I look at:

1. Effective inside height, if the AC is located above an area where people stand. (The plenum is usually around 3 inches, so it should be subtracted from any height specifications. During walk-throughs, look out for headbanger AC units. The ceiling should also have some sort of soft surface.)

2. The length of the bed and how easy it is to get in and out of the bed. (I need clearance for my legs and knees to swing around. The width of the aisle at the bed end of the coach and the location of the adjacent cabinetry also plays into this.)

3. Whether or not you have to climb over another person to get out of bed. (This is related to #2. It's easy for a small person to quietly slip in and out of bed in a small space, but no so easy for a tall person. The only way to test #2 and #3 this is to try them.)

4. Appliance location. (Some RVs have refrigerators or microwaves under the counter. For undercounter refrigerators, this essentially means that they're on the floor. To get a cold drink, a tall person has to get down on their hands and knees. An undercounter microwave means more bending. Try to get something at the back of either appliance to see what I mean.)

5. Freezer above or freezer below the refrigerator. (I get things out of the fridge more often than the freezer. The fridge should be at a level that doesn't require a lot of bending. Same test as #4.)

6. Obstructions over the bed. (Cabinets, etc., and their distance above the mattress. Subtracted from this distance should be things like bedding, foam pads, etc. Class Bs often have a wardrobe cabinet that sits over one corner of the bed. It should be high enough, and the bed low enough, so that my feet won't get caught underneath. Lay down on the bed and put your feet under the cabinet to test this.)

7. Knee and leg room in the bathroom. (I have to be able to sit comfortably. Try it.)

8. The position of cabinet doors when they're open. (Some aren't near the ceiling when open, posing another head banging hazard. Open one and try to walk by.)

9. No pop-tops. (Pop-tops give more headroom and during the summer, they're great. The problem is that I'd prefer not to have cold air coming through fabric around my head during the cooler or windier parts of the year. I like to camp along the windy, often foggy California coast.)

10. Quality build and good customer service. (To me, this is absolutely critical. Without these, a bargain purchase is no bargain.)

Based on what I've found so far, the vans from Advanced RV fit the bill the best for me, probably because the owner of the company is 6'3" and uses his products. I also like the PleasureWay Plateau models. Your mileage will absolutely vary, due your personal preferences and the length of your legs vs. your torso.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post

10. Quality build and good customer service. (To me, this is absolutely critical. Without these, a bargain purchase is no bargain.)

Based on what I've found so far, the vans from Advanced RV fit the bill the best for me, probably because the owner of the company is 6'3" and uses his products. I also like the PleasureWay Plateau models. Your mileage will absolutely vary, due your personal preferences and the length of your legs vs. your torso.
Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. Each point makes a lot of sense. We live in Sonoma so yes coastal camping is something we're looking forward to. In my previous life my ex and owned one of those old GMCs. Eleganza I think it was called. 26 feet, really easy to drive and really well engineered. I loved it. I realize that the Class Bs are going to be a lot more cramped than that, but like the flexibility it might provide.

I'm assuming you're in California? I've looked at a few of the rental sites, I was even thinking of heading south and renting one of the Advanced models they have available.

Have you rented any yet?