Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default First trip

I just bought a Roadtrek RS-Adverturous. First RV.
Question: Is it too ambitious to leave the day after I get it for a trip from Michigan to Florida?
My wife thinks we should do some weekend trips first to shake things out.
We have had this trip booked for a long time. It's at a condo in Florida with two sets of our kids and grandkids.
She thinks we should drive our regular vehicle down.
Naturally, I want to take the new RV.
I will bow to the collective wisdom of this community.

A journalist takes up RVing in a Roadtrek Class B Motorhome
Roadtreking Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: First trip

Congrats on your buy......come on down - FL awaits!! I can't see any reason not to get it underway - there are RT Dealers down here that are available should you need them. We bought ours new, took off from VA to TX - never had a problem....matter of fact it was years before I needed a RV repair. Safe travels.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Well, other than long periods at constant RPM being bad for a brand new motor, (Which means you should vary speed up and down a bit all the time) I don't see why you shouldn't drive coast to coast and back. Remember of course the right oil changes, the first couple are sometimes close together and you might need one while you're there.

If I bought anything more than 5 years old, I'd do 5 mile trips, 50 mile trips, 150mile trips... until I was confident it was all peachy, or I got it fixed...

Happy travels,

Flashman
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We were "lucky", or unlucky, depending on how you look at it, in that we couldn't just take off when we got our C190P Roadtrek. The deal came along earlier than we had planned, so we were both still working, late fall, etc. We squeezed in a one nighter before it snowed, and the next year did a few 3 night trips before going for 10 days. We learned a lot that made each trip easier at each step. Would we have been able to just take off, sure, but that first trip wouldn't have been as much fun without the earlier learning trips (and subsequent mods and stuff adding). If you are easy going and flexible, it will be pretty easy, if you are very particular, it might be harder as everything won't go just as you expect. You might want to just try a night in the driveway, and then a couple in a local campground, to get the basics and then hit the road. We are still almost a year away from being free to go long term
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Bronze Member

The unit is used and the engine is broken in.
I'm inclined to go. It would be two nights sleeping in it getting there (leisurely drive down) and two nights on the way back. We're staying in a rented condo for the week between.
By wife wants to wait.
I'm naturally chomping at the bit.
I appreciate the insight...

A journalist takes up RVing in a Roadtrek Class B Motorhome
Roadtreking Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
Gold Member

I'm kinda doing this in reverse...I bought a PW Plateau at the beginning of the month and it's currently in Naples, FL and next weekend I'm flying down there to get it and drive it back to Northern VA (Near Washington DC). It's a little different as I won't be solo - my parents, who have been RV owners for 10 years - will be with me, they actually found the RV and took care of the paperwork etc to help me buy it. So while I won't be solo with it I will get it Sunday night and embark on a 1,000 mile journey on Tues! From traveling with my parents I can tell you that mechanical trouble while on the road happens and you deal with it, just like you'd deal with it at home. We spent one night of our Alaska trip at the Cummins Service Facility in Anchorage where they'd been towed b/c the fuel pump had a failure of some sort. The Cummins guys were nice enough to let us both camp there (I had a small class C I'd rented) and got it fixed and we were on our way! I say pack her up and drive off...
teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
Platinum Member

It pays a lot more dividends to keep your spouse happy than to keep your RV on the road. Use your head, man.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
Bronze Member

^^^^ Point.

Though, you could investigate the cause of the reluctance, she doesn't want to share driving in it? She's worried about the "what ifs" ?

I'd say, for the first, you might go get a u-haul van for an afternoon and let her run it round, then she might see it's not that bad, and the RV should drive way nicer than the u-haul, like it's probably got a tighter front end, seats adjust etc.

And for the second, you can get Good Sam Club membership or AAA RV gold or whatever it is RV and trip insurance, show her what a good package it is and how they take care of you. Tell her you'll have motel money etc.
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
Silver Member

I'd want what she wants, it's eaiser that way!!
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Our first trip in a Sprinter B was from Minneapolis, MN to Worcester, MA and back in early February the week we bought it. We encountered lots of snow. We didn't however camp in it as we stayed in motels. The temps were still too cold as 20F overnight is the practical limit in my opinion and it was much colder than that even during the day. Our purpose was to use it more as a hauler of "stuff" to take to our son, and of course, to get used to driving it. The Sprinter is a van and very easy to drive.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote