Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2019, 11:40 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9
Default Found a 4x4 Roadtrek Agile 2017

Just started looking for RV's, got lucky, and found a 2017 Roadtrek Agile 4x4. Not a bad price but the dealer came down about 25%. So I went for it. Put down a bunch of money as I could not see it immediately. Later, the dealer noted that it had a cracked windshield that they would replace and also a Mercedes recall that needed to be done (airbags?).

I really wanted a 4x4 as I live and breathe in Oregon and plan to go on the forest service roads in the shoulder seasons. So, I need great options. This came equipped with lithium batteries, diesel heater, car generator, volt start, etc. I wanted to try all electric instead of the propane/genset route. Call me adventurous! My needs will be slim so I think I will survive absent problems. Anyway this fit the bill and there were no other 4x4 options. Well, that's not true, there is the Revel but the interior and the build are not for me, or my intended. But the garage is missing on the Agile. Not that the Agile won't have it's problems like rattles and breakdowns, etc. It will. And that's why I think the Sprinter chassis is really needed. To at least reduce the problem areas. Being a long time boat owner, I know all about that. Then there are one-offs but that is always someone else's idea of what's needed. And, I have no desire or patience for that at this time. Maybe later. After all, this is my first RV (although I have "camped" on boats for many years) and I will have my own ideas.

And then there's the warranty issue. I might solve that problem by buying an extended warranty, but there's the question of what does it really cover, certainly not the cabinets! Maybe all the electricals and the AC, stove, etc. Anyway it is a question that needs answering before I go there to pick it up.

Regarding price, that was a hard one. The absence of 4x4 leads you to very few choices and used is cheaper than new although there are warranties. Even though the Revel dealer discounted 20% the discount for the 2017 Agile was better. Could be he thought he would have problems selling a vehicle whose mfg was out of business. Who knows? And then, when you find the RV you want, maybe you are willing to pay a little more, especially when you can get it now. Certainly, the 4x4 option was worth more than the ~8500 new in 2017......

So, wish me well, we will see.
__________________

Smooth2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:24 AM   #2
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 945
Default

I don't need 4x4, but I certainly would like a few more inches of ground clearance. With the short chassis and 4x4 you should go most everywhere provided to you don't get crazy.

I hope it is everything you are wanting. When you pick it up, make the dealer take the time to demonstrate that all systems and appliances are working. And I mean everything.

I made a list of 25 items to test when I picked up my used class b. Everything was checking out fine, it was getting late, and we had a 4 hour drive back home. So I agreed to stop testing on the five remaining items. Well, three of those systems were bad. Lead house batteries did not hold a charge, macerator ran but impeller did not pump, and water heater would not light on propane.

$500 later and my own labor, those items were fixed. Your rig is much newer with mome technical and expensive systems. Don't let yourself get rushed like I did.
__________________

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:30 AM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I don't need 4x4, but I certainly would like a few more inches of ground clearance. With the short chassis and 4x4 you should go most everywhere provided to you don't get crazy.

I hope it is everything you are wanting. When you pick it up, make the dealer take the time to demonstrate that all systems and appliances are working. And I mean everything.

I made a list of 25 items to test when I picked up my used class b. Everything was checking out fine, it was getting late, and we had a 4 hour drive back home. So I agreed to stop testing on the five remaining items. Well, three of those systems were bad. Lead house batteries did not hold a charge, macerator ran but impeller did not pump, and water heater would not light on propane.

$500 later and my own labor, those items were fixed. Your rig is much newer with mome technical and expensive systems. Don't let yourself get rushed like I did.
Really good advice! Have my own list too and thought that it would be hard to get through. For one thing, there is no winterization info in the owner's manual and the dealer will probably just say "take it to a dealer". Thx.
Smooth2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth2o View Post
Really good advice! Have my own list too and thought that it would be hard to get through. For one thing, there is no winterization info in the owner's manual and the dealer will probably just say "take it to a dealer". Thx.
This forum can help you with winterization and other housekeeping items later (so long as the appliances and systems work like they should). I'm really jealous of the short chassis/4x4 ability to go anywhere, park anywhere, drive as easy as a minivan, and get great fuel mileage while doing it. Enjoy!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27
Default

Congratulations! Enjoy and I too am envious of the 2500 in 4X4. Only wish I could convince the wife to go that route I think she knows it would become my dog training/bird hunting full time ride when I retire. LOL.
GBUSMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 91
Default

I have a 2017 all-electric 4x4 Roadtrek. Absolutely love it. Had a few break-in issues/repairs/upgrades, but once fixed its run great and every system has been working to expectations for 50k+ miles. Do a thorough testing of all systems and make sure dealer fixes any outages before accepting delivery. Welcome to the club! (re: 4x4: these are not off road vehicles by any means, but rather large vans with long wheelbases. The 4x4 gives a bit more traction in mud and snow and the extra clearance is nice on rutted forest roads. But you'll still not be rompin' in this vehicle.)
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
ZBM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8
Default

We have a 2017 SS Agile 4x4 with 2 Lithiumís. Itís been great. Some small teething pains. We have LP heats. Get about 17mpg on the highway.
ZBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
I have a 2017 all-electric 4x4 Roadtrek. Absolutely love it. Had a few break-in issues/repairs/upgrades, but once fixed its run great and every system has been working to expectations for 50k+ miles. Do a thorough testing of all systems and make sure dealer fixes any outages before accepting delivery. Welcome to the club! (re: 4x4: these are not off road vehicles by any means, but rather large vans with long wheelbases. The 4x4 gives a bit more traction in mud and snow and the extra clearance is nice on rutted forest roads. But you'll still not be rompin' in this vehicle.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBM View Post
We have a 2017 SS Agile 4x4 with 2 Lithiumís. Itís been great. Some small teething pains. We have LP heats. Get about 17mpg on the highway.
Nice to hear good reports on Roadtrek lithium models. Thanks.

Maybe the newer models had most of the kinks worked out.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth2o View Post
Just started looking for RV's, got lucky, and found a 2017 Roadtrek Agile 4x4. Not a bad price but the dealer came down about 25%. So I went for it. Put down a bunch of money as I could not see it immediately. Later, the dealer noted that it had a cracked windshield that they would replace and also a Mercedes recall that needed to be done (airbags?).

I really wanted a 4x4 as I live and breathe in Oregon and plan to go on the forest service roads in the shoulder seasons. So, I need great options. This came equipped with lithium batteries, diesel heater, car generator, volt start, etc. I wanted to try all electric instead of the propane/genset route. Call me adventurous! My needs will be slim so I think I will survive absent problems. Anyway this fit the bill and there were no other 4x4 options. Well, that's not true, there is the Revel but the interior and the build are not for me, or my intended. But the garage is missing on the Agile. Not that the Agile won't have it's problems like rattles and breakdowns, etc. It will. And that's why I think the Sprinter chassis is really needed. To at least reduce the problem areas. Being a long time boat owner, I know all about that. Then there are one-offs but that is always someone else's idea of what's needed. And, I have no desire or patience for that at this time. Maybe later. After all, this is my first RV (although I have "camped" on boats for many years) and I will have my own ideas.

And then there's the warranty issue. I might solve that problem by buying an extended warranty, but there's the question of what does it really cover, certainly not the cabinets! Maybe all the electricals and the AC, stove, etc. Anyway it is a question that needs answering before I go there to pick it up.

Regarding price, that was a hard one. The absence of 4x4 leads you to very few choices and used is cheaper than new although there are warranties. Even though the Revel dealer discounted 20% the discount for the 2017 Agile was better. Could be he thought he would have problems selling a vehicle whose mfg was out of business. Who knows? And then, when you find the RV you want, maybe you are willing to pay a little more, especially when you can get it now. Certainly, the 4x4 option was worth more than the ~8500 new in 2017......

So, wish me well, we will see.
Good for you! I have 2007 190 P, but I would love to have a 4 X 4 because it snows in the San Bernardino mountains where we live in the winter!
danielewilderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:02 PM   #10
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 91
Default

Based on asking prices (which may or may not relate to actual selling prices) 4x4 Class B's seem top command command a premium price.
__________________

Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.