Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #501
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Reading back on these posts, specifically the "how about a bed up front for the kids, etc. " Being able to have a decent extra bed for guests or children seems to come up often. Anyway, I remember seeing one that IMO really worked. Not the "across the front seat" type like Hymer and not the Travato "take this cushion off, put it here, now put in this strut and take the cushion stored elsewhere and put it there, etc. ". Then I remembered

Westfalia Columbus (Fiat Duucato base). Dinette seat unfolds and flips over make a bed. This is optional, not standard. Have not seen one in person, but it does seem like an elegant solution. Option on both lengths of Columbus - 6m with transverse read bed and 6.4m with lengthwise rear beds. They call it a "double" but still looking for actual dimensions; floor plan shown for some idea of scale of the bed.

Photos are screenshots from catalog.
Yes it's a very convincing, automotive style design for an extra bed.
Its size (been searching for a while!):
...Optional front bed 5ft-9 3/4in x 2ft-10 1/4in to 3ft-7in
(1,77m x 0.87m to 1.09m)      
        
In the MMM review found on the Westfalia website
http://www.westfalia-mobil.net/news/...f?m=1467036619

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #502
Platinum Member

Very good, I could not see any way that seat unfolded into a full length bed...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #503
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Reading back on these posts, specifically the "how about a bed up front for the kids, etc. " Being able to have a decent extra bed for guests or children seems to come up often. Anyway, I remember seeing one that IMO really worked. Not the "across the front seat" type like Hymer and not the Travato "take this cushion off, put it here, now put in this strut and take the cushion stored elsewhere and put it there, etc. ". Then I remembered

Westfalia Columbus (Fiat Duucato base). Dinette seat unfolds and flips over make a bed. This is optional, not standard. Have not seen one in person, but it does seem like an elegant solution. Option on both lengths of Columbus - 6m with transverse read bed and 6.4m with lengthwise rear beds. They call it a "double" but still looking for actual dimensions; floor plan shown for some idea of scale of the bed.

Photos are screenshots from catalog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
In the MMM review found on the Westfalia website
http://www.westfalia-mobil.net/news/...f?m=1467036619
But I prefer the front seat DIY solution we found using thick pillows from an old IKEA sofa and the containers we use in the van for storage. I'm 6' 1" and I can stretch across the whole width of the front cab, above the door armrests.
It creates a very private sleeping nook with the wrap around curtains of the front cab.

Full album: https://www.facebook.com/kampervanfu...25841887676558

But we need to use the cargo space we have under the bed to store all these big cushions!

Old 10-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #504
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, it does look like it tapers. Plan layout shows head of bed at forward end of van (widest part), but photos always it (with pillows) toward the rear.

Thanks for info and other photos
Old 10-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
As a VW TDI owner, I guess this confirms the reputation for german quality and attention to detail was a myth or never really existed in the 1st place. I now wonder what does Hymer plan to bring to the table to warrant a premium price over a similar Winnebago product.
As the happy owner, for 12 years, of a Winnebago Rialta AND the owner of a Hymer B654 (in Europe), I would pay a premium price for Hymer engineering design and quality manufacture. (And I do love my Rialta).

P.S.- using both, I prefer the cassette toilet, especially the wheeled/telescoping handle version in the Aktiv.
Our Travel Website ( https://travel.jeffersoncampervan.com/ )
Fly Jefferson Campervan…Get You There On Time
JeffersonCampervan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #506
Platinum Member

Saw this 3D tour of the Hymer here:Hymer Aktiv - Exclusive to Woody's RV World - Woody's RV World!

Or full screen here: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=n86ccvD4XP2

Kinda fun to virtually tour the unit.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:20 AM   #507
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Saw this 3D tour of the Hymer here:Hymer Aktiv - Exclusive to Woody's RV World - Woody's RV World!

Or full screen here: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=n86ccvD4XP2

Kinda fun to virtually tour the unit.
Yes, a well done virtual tour. I saw it on the Hymer website http://www.gohymer.com/interior/
but the link seems broken now. Available on their FB page https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=n86ccvD4XP2

The RV manufacturers (WGO and RT) are using more and more these very detailed 3D views made by Matterport.
The Paseo: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=sVEfK6dnJJ5

Old 11-01-2016, 02:57 AM   #508
BBQ
Platinum Member

The more I look at the Aktiv,
the more I like it.

The layout is functional.

At first, I wasn't thrilled on the short chassis.
You know, in North America, the bigger is better.

But after looking at the city parking sizes again,
I noticed most of the cities have gone to the 20ft length.

The short chassis will make the RV more acceptable in more places.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #509
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
the more I like it.
The layout is functional.
At first, I wasn't thrilled on the short chassis.
You know, in North America, the bigger is better.
But after looking at the city parking sizes again,
I noticed most of the cities have gone to the 20ft length.
The short chassis will make the RV more acceptable in more places.
I only have a limited 3 year experience experience using a class B, but one thing I know for sure is that a camper is always too big when driving and too small when camping!

I still feel the 20'11" length of the Pro is the ideal compromise for city/country use. I drive my van downtown every week and have no problem finding parking spots that are long enough.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #510
Platinum Member

How would you get out of that spot, assuming the area in front is also a spot and could be occupied by something quite large?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #511
Platinum Member

That parking spot George showed looks to be 20 ft and is more an exception than standard unless Canada has different standards than the USA. The standard parallel parking markings are anywhere from 22 ft to 26 ft expressly for the purpose of being able to pull in and pull out. Getting locked in is a concern with a longer vehicle as the same goes with non RV vans and pickup trucks. One saving grace is every city block has two end stalls and if you can score one you can generally and easily park a longer Class B legally and not be locked in. A bigger concern is width. Class Cs stick out from other vehicles a great deal from the rest and on narrow streets that is disconcerting and dangerous.

Here is a tough one in a single family neighborhood in Queens Village, NYC. I measured there was exactly 25 feet distances between the driveways. We just fit on a very narrow one way street with parking on both sides and one driving lane. We boondocked two nights there.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #512
Platinum Member

The very tight turning radius of the front wheel drive ProMaster is impressive. With a good rear camera you can get in and out of very tight spots.

The length of parking spaces varies a lot in Montreal. And we like small cars. But I usually find enough space even if it means intruding a bit on the neighbor's parking spot!

Glad my bumpers are not painted!

Old 11-02-2016, 04:14 AM   #513
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

the more I like it.
My feelings exactly. I look forward to seeing one in a couple months here in Mesa. The small promaster will fit into my driveway, but it likely will not pass the stealth test that my 170 does... getting past the "no RV" rules in my neighborhood.

If I like it enough when I see it, I will have to decide if I want to see how far I can push the HOA rules.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #514
Platinum Member

We did see the Hymer Aktiv while at the RT factory. It was not completed but the crew had stepped aside so we had a quick peek. It is a very nice unit. The aisle between the bathroom and the kitchen is tight but if you want a useable bathroom then you have to give up some hallway space. I thought the dinette seating was quite comfortable and the table was very easy to set up. A place for two for a quick meal without having to swivel the passenger seat. I entered from the back as the bed was flipped up. Very spacious to access the upper cabinets and lower drawers. It does check off a lot of the boxes especially if they are considering a quasi cassette/blank tank combo.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #515
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefx View Post
We did see the Hymer Aktiv while at the RT factory. It was not completed but the crew had stepped aside so we had a quick peek. It is a very nice unit. The aisle between the bathroom and the kitchen is tight but if you want a useable bathroom then you have to give up some hallway space. I thought the dinette seating was quite comfortable and the table was very easy to set up. A place for two for a quick meal without having to swivel the passenger seat. I entered from the back as the bed was flipped up. Very spacious to access the upper cabinets and lower drawers. It does check off a lot of the boxes especially if they are considering a quasi cassette/blank tank combo.
Lucky you! No info about the AKTIV 2.0 on the longer chassis? I would definitely wait to see the 21' if I was looking to buy an AKTIV.

https://www.hymercar.com/en/models/h...l?panorama=411

The Hymercar Yosemite

Old 11-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #516
Platinum Member

Quote:
Lucky you! No info about the AKTIV 2.0 on the longer chassis? I would definitely wait to see the 21' if I was looking to buy an AKTIV.

https://www.hymercar.com/en/models/h...l?panorama=411

The Hymercar Yosemite

The Yosemite model is only 6.0 m....I am hoping that they bring across Yellowstone. They said that there was a 6.3 m van in the factory but could not find it. I suspect that would be the Aktiv 2.0 sold at Pomona. They are supposed to raise the fridge which they have done in Europe. With the tight aisle way, some people may have difficulty bending down to retrieve stuff. If you want to pull the galley drawers completely out, you have to stand off to the side. Again...some give and take. Larger drawers...smaller aisleway.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #517
Platinum Member

Quote:
The Yosemite model is only 6.0 m....I am hoping that they bring across Yellowstone. They said that there was a 6.3 m van in the factory but could not find it. I suspect that would be the Aktiv 2.0 sold at Pomona. They are supposed to raise the fridge which they have done in Europe. With the tight aisle way, some people may have difficulty bending down to retrieve stuff. If you want to pull the galley drawers completely out, you have to stand off to the side. Again...some give and take. Larger drawers...smaller aisleway.
You're right. The Yosemite is the new lengthwise bed option on the short chassis. The 360 view of the Yellowstone didn't match the floorplan with lengthwise beds so I used the Yosemite virtual visit instead.

Yellowstone 360 view
https://www.hymercar.com/en/models/h...l?panorama=302

Old 11-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #518
Platinum Member

There are some shots of the 2017 6.3 M Hymercar Yellowstone lengthwise bed with elevated fridge in this ad.

HymerCar HymerCar HYMERCAR Yellowstone als Kastenwagen in Bad Urach-Wittlingen bei caraworld.de
Old 11-02-2016, 09:53 PM   #519
Platinum Member

Quote:
There are some shots of the 2017 6.3 M Hymercar Yellowstone lengthwise bed with elevated fridge in this ad.

HymerCar HymerCar HYMERCAR Yellowstone als Kastenwagen in Bad Urach-Wittlingen bei caraworld.de
Nice shots of this nice campervan!
Old 11-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #520
Platinum Member

It would be nice if they had the side windows in the rear like on the Akitv in addition to the rear windows that open...

Any idea how they keep the sliding door from hitting the passenger side rear side window on the Akitv? Doesn't it open or is the opening limited?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote