Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 02:17 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Hymer Aktiv... our first RV!

Just bought our first RV, the Hymer Aktiv!!! Flew down to Pomono, CA to check them out. Loved it! Bought a fully option one! Won't get it for another 4 weeks, due to traveling conflicts. I will post pics later when we get back home (at the airport now headed back now).
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:35 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
Just bought our first RV, the Hymer Aktiv!!! Flew down to Pomono, CA to check them out. Loved it! Bought a fully option one! Won't get it for another 4 weeks, due to traveling conflicts. I will post pics later when we get back home (at the airport now headed back now).
Very good, who is the Hymer dealer handling the sales at Pomona?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:44 AM   #3
Silver Member

Mike Thompson RV
Old 10-08-2016, 02:53 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Awesome can't wait to hear all about it, and please post pics. Congratulations!
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:07 AM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Keep us posted on the cassette toilet.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:09 AM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

I want to know how comfortable is the settee.

Winnebago has competition.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Congratulations!! We can't wait to hear all the details.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Keep us posted on the cassette toilet.

I think you will be fine with the cassette toilet. I used one for 10 years in my old pop-up camper; now I have a black tank in my Travato. If I have access to a dump station, I prefer the black tank. However, we camped several weekends this summer where there was no dump station. When we got home I had to transfer the tank contents to a portable tank and then dump it in the toilet. This is not fun. The cassette tank is easy to empty.

Another advantage to the cassette toilet depends on the exact model you have. My pop-up also had hot water/shower/sink, etc, so I had to winterize it every winter, just like any other camper. But the cassette toilet had an internal water supply. It was simple to winterize, but it also meant I could use the toilet in the winter while still leaving the rest of the water system alone. Just add hand sanitizer. That may or may not be useful to you, but for me it would be great for going to football games in Buffalo, NY in December.

Now that I have used both, if given a choice I would go with the cassette toilet, especially if it had an internal water tank.

Enjoy your new camper.
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
Bought a fully option one!
Can you be a bit more specific on what options? All of the ones in the brochure? Did you get the Lithiums and how large a bank? Solar and how many/size panels?

And of course - only if you feel comfortable sharing this - what was the price (driving it off the lot)? Everyone here has been wondering what the street price will be. Saw what looked like some good deals at Hershey.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk&hc View Post
I think you will be fine with the cassette toilet. I used one for 10 years in my old pop-up camper; now I have a black tank in my Travato. If I have access to a dump station, I prefer the black tank. However, we camped several weekends this summer where there was no dump station. When we got home I had to transfer the tank contents to a portable tank and then dump it in the toilet. This is not fun. The cassette tank is easy to empty.

Another advantage to the cassette toilet depends on the exact model you have. My pop-up also had hot water/shower/sink, etc, so I had to winterize it every winter, just like any other camper. But the cassette toilet had an internal water supply. It was simple to winterize, but it also meant I could use the toilet in the winter while still leaving the rest of the water system alone. Just add hand sanitizer. That may or may not be useful to you, but for me it would be great for going to football games in Buffalo, NY in December.

Now that I have used both, if given a choice I would go with the cassette toilet, especially if it had an internal water tank.

Enjoy your new camper.
That is a good point and has not really come up in conversation. Some folks are going with the composters as a winter travel solution. But a cassette sounds easier to deal with to me and more manageable.

Do you just flush with antifreeze? or do you dilute it?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #11
Site Team

Our black tank is a 10 gal tank built into the pedestal upon which the toilet sits. Therefore it is inside the heated volume of the van and so will not freeze during use. That is a common setup, no?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Our black tank is a 10 gal tank built into the pedestal upon which the toilet sits. Therefore it is inside the heated volume of the van and so will not freeze during use. That is a common setup, no?
I believe most Roadtreks have a black tank under the van so it can freeze along with the macerator which needs to be flushed out with antifreeze in the winter. Some people use the black tank in winter by flushing with antifreeze...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I believe most Roadtreks have a black tank under the van so it can freeze along with the macerator which needs to be flushed out with antifreeze in the winter. Some people use the black tank in winter by flushing with antifreeze...
When I did my recent 4-season upgrade, I ran Espar glycol lines along the macerator and associated plumbing, and surrounded them with insulation. Theoretically, they are fully-functional as long as the van is being heated. I only need to get antifreeze into the macerator for storage. Haven't tried it in anger yet, though.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #14
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
That is a good point and has not really come up in conversation. Some folks are going with the composters as a winter travel solution. But a cassette sounds easier to deal with to me and more manageable.

Do you just flush with antifreeze? or do you dilute it?

I just used antifreeze, but it was only for a one night trip. (Another cassette toilet advantage is that you don't need to have several gallons of liquid in the waste tank to empty it.)

I suppose I could add a few gallons of antifreeze to the Travato water tank after winterizing it, and then use the toilet in the winter. Does anyone see a problem with that? Could you also use the Truma furnace without any water in the hot water tank? (The hot water tank would be drained and the by-pass in place for the winter.)

Any ideas? Again - I'm looking to use the RV in the winter for just a day or two at a time, and the toilet would be great. But I don't want to have to flush the water system and then winterize it again after every use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk&hc View Post
Could you also use the Truma furnace without any water in the hot water tank?
yes, I did this last spring before ever introducing fresh water to the system.
Took delivery of 59k end of Feb this year. Furnace was necessary in upper MI in March!
Gobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:17 AM   #16
Silver Member

Exterior Pics:

Old 10-09-2016, 05:33 AM   #17
Silver Member

Exterior Pics Continued:

Old 10-09-2016, 05:34 AM   #18
Silver Member

New Alternator Cover: