Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #91
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 552
Default Good value.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
My signature has a link to photos of the B-van. The Coachmen gets the most miles as I use the motorhomes for very different tasks. When we do "vacation travel" we take the Born Free. When I do solo runs (which is fairly frequently) I take the B-van. I've put about 12k on the Born Free in four years and over 30k on the B-van in three. The photos of towing the mpg trailer were after I sold the trailer, and was delivering it to a woman near Portland, OR. I normally tow my Jeep behind the Born Free. And yes, I appreciate both the Kodiak chassis and the quality built into the Born Free.

I bought the 2006 Born Free in 2015. It had 32k miles on it, and had depreciated about $110,000 from new. I looked at them new in the showroom in 2007 at about $155k. It averages 8-10mpg depending on where and how fast I drive it. But as I only drive it 2,000-3,000 miles a year, gas mileage isn't terribly relevant. The Coachmen will get me from 11 to 15mpg, again depending on where and how fast I drive.

The Kodiak motorhome cutaway chassis was a pig as delivered for handling. It was frightening to drive. They put two-leaf, "half" springs on the rear axle for ride quality which allowed the axle to wander under the coach and have rear-axle steering input. The anti-sway bars work wonders to stabilize that, and I installed a Davis Tru-Track bar on the front axle as well. High quality shocks, plus those mods have made the truck quite mild-mannered on the road. It came equipped with Link-Air air-ride suspension from the factory. The overhang has never been a problem, and is pretty much about the same distance as you'd find on most Class A motorhomes.

I suspect that the Born Free may be the last motorhome I ever buy. The next closest would be something on a Freightliner M2 chassis... but I'm not particularly excited about diesels, and they're all way out of the range of what I'd care to spend on a motorhome anyway.
SO, you paid about $35,000 or so for Born Free back in 2006???

I just did a "quick calculation" estimating that you have around 50,000 miles on the 2006 Born Free coach now?? And, the value of the vehicle presuming you paid that number is pretty much holding its value, see the NADA profile below.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2006/B...3043754/Values

For comparison, I am also listing below a similarly aged 2006 Roadtrek RS Adventurous,

2006 Roadtrek RS-Adventurous Prices and Used Values | NADAguides

Again, it's all about what you want to drive.

I upgraded my RS Adventurous suspension with KONI FSD shocks, anti sway and trac bar, made a huge difference.


Keep driving and enjoying your RV's... we have a friend dying of cancer...
She kept saying ... I have to keep working.... going to run out of money... it's so SAD... now she's running out of time.

Enjoy life... this ain't no dress rehearsal.

Finally, don't worry about depreciation too much... first, there's nothing you can do about it and it is ONLY important when it's time to SELL...
__________________

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #92
Platinum Member
 
hepcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: eastern Iowa
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
SO, you paid about $35,000 or so for Born Free back in 2006???

I just did a "quick calculation" estimating that you have around 50,000 miles on the 2006 Born Free coach now?? And, the value of the vehicle presuming you paid that number is pretty much holding its value, see the NADA profile below.

2006 Born Free Rear Queen Widebody Prices and Used Values | NADAguides

For comparison, I am also listing below a similarly aged 2006 Roadtrek RS Adventurous,

2006 Roadtrek RS-Adventurous Prices and Used Values | NADAguides

Again, it's all about what you want to drive.

I upgraded my RS Adventurous suspension with KONI FSD shocks, anti sway and trac bar, made a huge difference.


Keep driving and enjoying your RV's... we have a friend dying of cancer...
She kept saying ... I have to keep working.... going to run out of money... it's so SAD... now she's running out of time.

Enjoy life... this ain't no dress rehearsal.

Finally, don't worry about depreciation too much... first, there's nothing you can do about it and it is ONLY important when it's time to SELL...
No, re-read my post. I bought the Born Free in 2015 with 32k on it for under $40k. I have 54k miles on it now. I don't worry about depreciation... I find good, well-cared for, low mileage older RVs that are worth maintaining. I let other people worry about how they're going to support the hit they took on the depreciation of the coach.

Being retired, though, I'm ALWAYS concerned about having enough liquidity to be able to do what I want when i want to do it; hence my mantra about buying the highest quality coach I can for the least amount possible that is already at least 75% depreciated.

And frankly I don't much care what my Born Free is worth as it won't continue to depreciate much over the next ten years. And I'll always be able to get out of my Coachmen what I have in it, regardless of it's age or mileage. I bought it THAT cheap.

I've never heard someone on their deathbed lament that they didn't get to wash dishes or mow the lawn one last time. They lament not going to Paris, or taking that trip to visit their friend before they died. I absolutely am NOT one of those people who intends to go to MY grave with regrets.
__________________

__________________
1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #93
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 552
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
No, re-read my post. I bought the Born Free in 2015 with 32k on it for under $40k. I have 54k miles on it now. I don't worry about depreciation... I find good, well-cared for, low mileage older RVs that are worth maintaining. I let other people worry about how they're going to support the hit they took on the depreciation of the coach.

Being retired, though, I'm ALWAYS concerned about having enough liquidity to be able to do what I want when i want to do it; hence my mantra about buying the highest quality coach I can for the least amount possible that is already at least 75% depreciated.

And frankly I don't much care what my Born Free is worth as it won't continue to depreciate much over the next ten years. And I'll always be able to get out of my Coachmen what I have in it, regardless of it's age or mileage. I bought it THAT cheap.

I've never heard someone on their deathbed lament that they didn't get to wash dishes or mow the lawn one last time. They lament not going to Paris, or taking that trip to visit their friend before they died. I absolutely am NOT one of those people who intends to go to MY grave with regrets.
YES... I did say...
SO, you paid about $35,000 or so for Born Free back in 2006???
What was the actual price you paid... less than $30,000..

I completely agree with you.. don't buy a new RV

I'm retired as well... I understand exactly.

We feel very bad about our friend.. even though she has traveled internationally, she was so looking forward to NOT working and she's out suddenly.. can't work and is hospitalized. Really terrible situation.

I get it.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #94
Platinum Member
 
hepcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: eastern Iowa
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
YES... I did say...
SO, you paid about $35,000 or so for Born Free back in 2006???
What was the actual price you paid... less than $30,000..

I completely agree with you.. don't buy a new RV

I'm retired as well... I understand exactly.

We feel very bad about our friend.. even though she has traveled internationally, she was so looking forward to NOT working and she's out suddenly.. can't work and is hospitalized. Really terrible situation.

I get it.
No, I bought the Born Free in 2015 with 32k on it for under $40k.
__________________

__________________
1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.