Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Class B Forums > Class B RV | Owners Forums > General Discussion Forum
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
This was my first RV purchase in May 2017... before that I had a teardrop trailer.....
Here's a link to exactly what I got....

https://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/...beffb59e9eb708

I just don't want to lose control of the vehicle and roll over or have an accident... and if I ever want my wife to drive it...I need to make her comfortable as well....

I don't want to be that person... which is WHY I spent the money to handle these circumstances... I figured... I'm only going to do this ONCE and it might as well be right on MY TERMS....

All about making me feel more comfortable....now I can just drive and enjoy it with regular maintenance... I don't like cars or any vehicles with compromised systems....

Good luck...

I hope you do as well feel confident about your ride....
You have an interesting perspective.

A TPMS will NOT help stabilize your van *when* you have a "blowout." It merely tells you the tire pressures. Don't misunderstand, I have TPMS in my Jeep and it's really convenient... and I enjoy that I can be lazy about checking the pressures... but it can't inspect your tires for wear or cuts or bulges; tell-tale signs of problems. Checking pressures regularly, whether by TPMS or with a gauge will hopefully help you diagnose a tire problem before it becomes a run-flat with shredded sidewalls.

I have valve stem extensions on my duals on my Born Free, and I check the pressure and inspect the tires pretty regularly. And Avanti is right; if you DO manage to have a catastrophic sidewall failure (blowout) on one of the rear wheels there's a really good chance that the blown tire will be on the inside and it'll take the outside tire with it, your TPMS not withstanding. The one time TPMS is really useful is when one of the duals begins to deflate and you have enough warning that you can get it to the side of the road before it shreds. With today's tire technology though, and regular tire checks, that happens so infrequently that I'm willing to take the "risk."

So yes, once again technology is handy, but it really doesn't solve the "safety" issues. Honestly, the suspension upgrades you did will do a LOT more to help you maintain control in any emergent situation and was money well spent.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #22
Bronze Member

The question regarding tire pressures while traveling is whether one feels comfortable with periodic checks or requires constant monitoring to feel comfortable. If it is the former, then either a tire gauge with proper dually valve extensions or an IR gun will get the job done.

If it is the latter, then only a reliable pressure monitoring system is sufficient.

Risk management requires two approaches; regular preventive tire maintenance, and some kind of monitoring while traveling as noted above. If you do preventive maintenance then while on the road slow leaks are the hazard to be monitored for.

It's worth noting that most vehicles are delivered with TPMS because they increase safety. Most of that increase comes from catching low pressures due to inadequate preventive maintenance..
jaak1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
And Avanti is right; if you DO manage to have a catastrophic sidewall failure (blowout) on one of the rear wheels there's a really good chance that the blown tire will be on the inside and it'll take the outside tire with it, your TPMS not withstanding. The one time TPMS is really useful is when one of the duals begins to deflate and you have enough warning that you can get it to the side of the road before it shreds. With today's tire technology though, and regular tire checks, that happens so infrequently that I'm willing to take the "risk."

So yes, once again technology is handy, but it really doesn't solve the "safety" issues. Honestly, the suspension upgrades you did will do a LOT more to help you maintain control in any emergent situation and was money well spent.
I repeat:
IMO, TMPS is an totally essential safety feature for any dually setup. I was not talking about just 'catastrophic sidewall failure'. ANY rear tire failure (outside or inside), be it blowout, puncture, valve stem failure, a simple leak, can easily go unnoticed for many, many miles--careful inspections notwithstanding. You can't inspect your tires while you are driving, which can mean hundreds of miles of driving on a single tire. This is obviously extremely dangerous. A TPMS will alert you to this situation instantly, probably saving your tire and maybe even your life.

My advice: If you have duallies, get a TPMS. This is not the place to indulge in ludditeism.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Default I understand that the tire pressure monitoring system is only a warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
You have an interesting perspective.

A TPMS will NOT help stabilize your van *when* you have a "blowout." It merely tells you the tire pressures. Don't misunderstand, I have TPMS in my Jeep and it's really convenient... and I enjoy that I can be lazy about checking the pressures... but it can't inspect your tires for wear or cuts or bulges; tell-tale signs of problems. Checking pressures regularly, whether by TPMS or with a gauge will hopefully help you diagnose a tire problem before it becomes a run-flat with shredded sidewalls.

I have valve stem extensions on my duals on my Born Free, and I check the pressure and inspect the tires pretty regularly. And Avanti is right; if you DO manage to have a catastrophic sidewall failure (blowout) on one of the rear wheels there's a really good chance that the blown tire will be on the inside and it'll take the outside tire with it, your TPMS not withstanding. The one time TPMS is really useful is when one of the duals begins to deflate and you have enough warning that you can get it to the side of the road before it shreds. With today's tire technology though, and regular tire checks, that happens so infrequently that I'm willing to take the "risk."

YES.... I completely understand that the TPMS is not going to STABILIZE the vehicle...
It will give me a heads up when I'm losing air pressure and there's a feature that sounds an alarm when there's a sudden loss of pressure..... hopefully it's enough time for me to slow down ....
And, it's been helpful in the past with slow leaks... remember I had leaking valve stems initially and had to go back and get them replaced......

As Avanti said... A slow leak could turn into a BIG problem especially if it's the inside duals.....

And... thanks for agreeing with me that spending the money on all those suspension upgrades was a good idea.....it wasn't cheap....$3,100...

If it makes me feel more comfortable..and safer..I think it's worth it.......

I'm taking the RV back across the USA ...and want to have better control with the high winds... last year was more of a challenge....

It's amazing how many high winds we encountered on the open road....you really don't notice it that much when traveling around the city....a lot of structures shield and brake the winds.......
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #25
Gold Member

Also helpful if you do not carry a spare as you can remove one wheel of your duelys to fit on the front and limp home with only on wheel on the back.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Default What... Are you kidding???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
Also helpful if you do not carry a spare as you can remove one wheel of your duelys to fit on the front and limp home with only on wheel on the back.
Look.. I'm not jettisoning my spare tire....WHY would this make any sense??

If anything I'll have to purchase a new spare if I use it for the front or back and toss the bad one away.

Besides.. the spare tire is underneath the coach on the driver's side...

What else would I use this space for....it's designed for a spare tire...

I see you didn't know that I have a spare.... sorry..I have one and going to obviously use it...
Old 07-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #27
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
That's assuming you have the same type of wheels all around.

Some RV upfitters use cheaper steel wheels on the inner dually and aluminum wheels on the outside for good looks.

Steel wheels have a different thickness than the aluminum wheels. As a result, different length studs (non-standard) are needed to mount the wheels at each corner. If you don't have the correct length stud, you might be out of luck.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Default Interesting response.... I'll check it out with Roadtrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Some RV upfitters use cheaper steel wheels on the inner dually and aluminum wheels on the outside for good looks.

Steel wheels have a different thickness than the aluminum wheels. As a result, different length studs (non-standard) are needed to mount the wheels at each corner. If you don't have the correct length stud, you might be out of luck.
My vehicle is a Roadtrek RS Adventurous... here's the vehicle and description.. I can't imagine why they would highlight a spare on my vehicle and then have "RESTRICTIONS" on how it could be used???

Maybe it's a thing on another vehicle?? To the best of my knowledge....it could be used on any tire ...

AND...I don't think that the RS Adventurous model has "offset wheels" like the Chevy Express van they use on the Roadtrek 210 model.....

I don't know.. maybe you might not agree..
I personally don't find anything particularly chincy on the Roadtrek RS Adventurous model...it is one of their top of the line models. And I don't think Roadtrek is a cheap company.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:25 PM   #29
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
My vehicle is a Roadtrek RS Adventurous... here's the vehicle and description.. I can't imagine why they would highlight a spare on my vehicle and then have "RESTRICTIONS" on how it could be used???

Maybe it's a thing on another vehicle?? To the best of my knowledge....it could be used on any tire ...

AND...I don't think that the RS Adventurous model has "offset wheels" like the Chevy Express van they use on the Roadtrek 210 model.....

I don't know.. maybe you might not agree..
I personally don't find anything particularly chincy on the Roadtrek RS Adventurous model...it is one of their top of the line models. And I don't think Roadtrek is a cheap company.

You should check to see if your inner dually is made of steel.

or maybe you have all steel wheels with chrome wheel covers.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #30
Platinum Member

I assume the conversation is about new vans.

My old Xplorer had an aftermarket dually kit on it, as did almost all the later Xplorer models. It didn't increase the carrying capacity at all over the normal 3500 Ram Van. It was purely a stability play on a short wheelbase van that had an extended length (and width) body. Coupled with the Helwig anti-sway bars, it made for a surprisingly stable platform.

All that is moot these days.

Transit not only has duallies, but it also employs an effective electronic anti-sway program to accommodate it's long rear overhang. Sprinter of course has it's own electronic stability control program, but for reasons of body height. In both these vans, the dually setup enables much higher payload capacity and offers nil in vehicle stablity in my view - it's all electronics now.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Default Actually... I think that they are all steel with chrome wheel covers....

Quote:
You should check to see if your inner dually is made of steel.

or maybe you have all steel wheels with chrome wheel covers.
When I got all my tires replaced... I seem to recall that all the wheels were steel rims ..

SO.... guess this is actually a good thing???

What would be the advantage for all aluminum wheels??

Seems like all steel wheels is stronger... I'm NOT concerned about weight...the chassis can easily handle it...
Old 07-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #32
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
When I got all my tires replaced... I seem to recall that all the wheels were steel rims ..

SO.... guess this is actually a good thing???

What would be the advantage for all aluminum wheels??

Seems like all steel wheels is stronger... I'm NOT concerned about weight...the chassis can easily handle it...

They are the same strength; they are DOT approved, so there is no concern regarding the strength.

Aluminum wheels are lighter. 47 lbs vs 77 lbs.

It is the unsprung weight that you need to be concerned, not just the raw weight.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:25 PM   #33
Platinum Member

An interesting thread and not one I have much knowledge about, so lots to learn!

I do have a PW Plateau FL or order - hopefully to arrive in Sept - and it will have dual rear wheels. I ordered the Alcoa wheel option, but am guessing the inner duals are steel, don't really know.

I have to admit that I didn't give much thought to dual or single wheels - just ordered the van that I felt was best suited to our needs and duals is what it came with! We'll see how it goes.

As well, I will have no spare and I am told there is no space underneath for one.

I know I could add a rear spare carrier and may do so, but since we towed our dual axle
Airstream trailer with our diesel truck about 50,000 miles over ten years I'll probably start by taking my chances with no spare! Never did have one flat tire over that traveling! (Hope I haven't now jinxed myelf!)

I am a firm believer in TPMS and always used this equipment with our Truck/trailer and pla to use it with the PW.

Clearly it is no guarantee, but I have read that many times blowouts result from running with low tire pressure, I like to keep on top of that situation on an on-going basis during our trips.

I have the type of TPMS equipment with screw on sensors and am not exactly sure what I will need to adapt this to the PW dual wheels.

I know metal valve stems are preferred for TPMS sensor use and did ask our local PW dealer if the factory could so-equip our "B" when being built - seems not, so I will check with a local tire shop once we have the van.

Don't want to side track this thread, but can anyone suggest if there are specific stems I should order for the duals so I can obtain and take to our local tire shop when our van arrives?

Thanks ............ Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:22 AM   #34
g1g
Platinum Member

My camper has only been a single wheel but years ago I use to drive tow trucks. The Ford had single wheels and the Chevy had duals. The Ford went through more snow better than the Chevy. I could only imagine that the Chevy with duals could actually handle more weight providing the springs, and other suspension could handle it. Now driving the camper I could just say duals may give more piece of mind and be better if a tire blows.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:49 AM   #35
Platinum Member

Default No spare tire... getting to be more common ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
An interesting thread and not one I have much knowledge about, so lots to learn!

I do have a PW Plateau FL or order - hopefully to arrive in Sept - and it will have dual rear wheels. I ordered the Alcoa wheel option, but am guessing the inner duals are steel, don't really know.

I have to admit that I didn't give much thought to dual or single wheels - just ordered the van that I felt was best suited to our needs and duals is what it came with! We'll see how it goes.

As well, I will have no spare and I am told there is no space underneath for one.

I know I could add a rear spare carrier and may do so, but since we towed our dual axle
Airstream trailer with our diesel truck about 50,000 miles over ten years I'll probably start by taking my chances with no spare! Never did have one flat tire over that traveling! (Hope I haven't now jinxed myelf!)

I am a firm believer in TPMS and always used this equipment with our Truck/trailer and pla to use it with the PW.

Clearly it is no guarantee, but I have read that many times blowouts result from running with low tire pressure, I like to keep on top of that situation on an on-going basis during our trips.

I have the type of TPMS equipment with screw on sensors and am not exactly sure what I will need to adapt this to the PW dual wheels.

I know metal valve stems are preferred for TPMS sensor use and did ask our local PW dealer if the factory could so-equip our "B" when being built - seems not, so I will check with a local tire shop once we have the van.

Don't want to side track this thread, but can anyone suggest if there are specific stems I should order for the duals so I can obtain and take to our local tire shop when our van arrives?

Thanks ............ Brian.
Brian,

I met someone on a camping trip with a Leisure Travel Serenity...he had no spare either..he was surprised by that and never advised... maybe you were.......

To the best of my knowledge... all RS Adventurous and E-Trek models come with a spare tire mounted underneath the vehicle... It's very convenient....and it's a full sized tire.....not a compact spare.......

As a matter of fact I know that the brand new Subaru Outback comes with a full sized spare...

The notion of a large vehicle like yours with no spare tire amazes me....

Maybe you are ""lucky"?? I hope so..... I'd rather have the spare tire.....

As for the TPMS ... I use Truck System Technologies....it works wonderfully... wireless sensors link up to a dashboard monitor .... replaceable batteries....$300 ...

I definitely recommend metal valve extensions...had some trouble at first...now it's no problem....

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:46 AM   #36
Platinum Member

To answer the original question: we drove several vans last year before we bought our B and agreed that the duals felt more stable. Do we feel 'safer?' Only insofar as the van handles better - I haven't thought about what may or may not happen in a blow out.

I did have a blowout once in an F350 4WD, which are pretty high off the ground. Doing 70 mph on the I-15 between Havasu and Barstow. Left rear tire. Loud. It lifted the rear end of the truck up about a foot, shredded the tire, destroyed the fender and bent the bumper.

You know what? Empty trucks are so light in the rear, it was a non-issue. Near as I can tell, the wheel didn't touch the pavement because we remained "level" even after the explosion. I drove to the next exit and pulled off the freeway. Fortunately, the brakes didn't lose pressure.

Now, if I'd lost a FRONT tire, I probably wouldn't be here.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:01 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:

While it's true many upfitters use steel wheels on inner duals - it's not the issue you mentioned as they all have studs and use lug nuts, not bolts.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:27 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
I didn't mean to touch a "nerve" on this issue... rather..I was interested in knowing if your decision to get dual wheels was a conscious choice..

Here's an article on this......

12 & 15-Passenger Vans – Still not a viable option :: The Redwoods Group

Operative language....

Because we consider the improvements to be insufficient to alter our historical stance, dual rear wheels, seat belts, increased rollover protection (FMVSS 220), increased body joint strength (FMVSS 221), and passenger space compartmentalization (FMVSS 222) remain necessary for unqualified mini-bus approval

I don't know... maybe you don't agree...for me...it's safer...

If you lose one wheel in a blowout....the other wheel will still be there.....

You didn't hit a nerve with me. Just that single or dual is question of vehicle capacity more than an independent choice. The track width on dually Sprinters and Transits is no wider than a single rear wheel model so I doubt there is much added stability.

Interesting article from an insurance company. A 15 passenger van is likely overloaded from the start. IMHO - The historical safety problems with 15 passenger vans is more from overloaded vans driven too fast by inexperienced drivers, than from lack of dual rear wheels. With a heavily loaded van you have to reduce speed accordingly. I do agree with article that a proper mini-bus, built on a cab chassis of proper design is a better choice if you need to haul 15 people. Those mini-buses are built on stronger, higher capacity vehicles.

I agree with avanti - TPMS is critical with duallies.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:11 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Now, if I'd lost a FRONT tire, I probably wouldn't be here.
The consensus seems to be that a front tire blowout is more controllable than a rear one.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Default I looked that up and surprisingly true

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The consensus seems to be that a front tire blowout is more controllable than a rear one.
Apparently...the power steering and suspension on the front which is MacPherson strut and tighter than the rear leaf springs....makes it more controllable on a front tire failure......

Seems that everyone says slow down .... don't panic brake......

A few dissenting people still says that the front tire is more dangerous...but, the overwhelming consensus is that since you don't have control of the rear wheels....and you do in the front....the front failure is EASIER to manage......

Thanks to this discussion... I learned something from this....

Of course...it's better to be vigilant and keep your tires maintained at the proper pressure plus replace any old or worn out tires early...... there's no point in trying to get the last mile from an old set ....