Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2023, 02:49 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Is there a way to disconnect or bypass the battery disconnect switch in RT 190 1999?

I don't want to replace it right now and it intermittenly goes out like when I got to the RV park today and had no power. So had to run 15a into RT but had no 12v things.

Is there a simple way to not use it at all right now?

Thx
JeffGalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:16 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Sure, just install a 6 gauge wire between the two contacts. Depends on what your maximum current draw will be but that will probably do it.

You could probably take the cable on the output side and move it to the battery side and be done with it.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:38 PM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Sure, just install a 6 gauge wire between the two contacts. Depends on what your maximum current draw will be but that will probably do it.

You could probably take the cable on the output side and move it to the battery side and be done with it.
Output side of what's going to the battery? Sorry I'm very non mechanical for most things but currently learning more.

Is this on the converter you mean? Sorry totally lost here.

Thank you for your reply!
Old 12-07-2023, 10:35 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We're assuming you are talking about the relay under the back seat by the battery(s). The relay is a "latching relay" which means it is either on or off, but doesn't consume power except when changing position. If the relay is stuck in the off position (sounds like what you're describing), you can effectively bridge over it. There are two big cables on the relay, one that you can easily see coming from the battery (or batteries), and one disappearing into the van. The little wires go to the switch in the panel that operates the relay. To bypass the relay (if it's stuck off), just remove the big cable from the battery (it's got a nut on it), and connect it to the other terminal (the one with the other big cable). In other words, take off the nut, and put both wires under one nut.

You really only want to do this as a temporary fix, since if you can't disconnect the house battery, the CO and smoke detectors can drain the battery in a couple of weeks, and then you could be looking at getting new batteries (ouch!).
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:48 PM   #5
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
We're assuming you are talking about the relay under the back seat by the battery(s). The relay is a "latching relay" which means it is either on or off, but doesn't consume power except when changing position. If the relay is stuck in the off position (sounds like what you're describing), you can effectively bridge over it. There are two big cables on the relay, one that you can easily see coming from the battery (or batteries), and one disappearing into the van. The little wires go to the switch in the panel that operates the relay. To bypass the relay (if it's stuck off), just remove the big cable from the battery (it's got a nut on it), and connect it to the other terminal (the one with the other big cable). In other words, take off the nut, and put both wires under one nut.

You really only want to do this as a temporary fix, since if you can't disconnect the house battery, the CO and smoke detectors can drain the battery in a couple of weeks, and then you could be looking at getting new batteries (ouch!).
Wow very detailed reply. Thank you much. Bless you.

Ok so there are two big cables, which I'll look at when I get back there, but which side of the battery to remove it off of (neg or pos) and place it on (neg or pos)? Thx.

I took out the fuses already for CO2 and the smoke detector has a battery on its own but good point there.

I have a battery charger connected to the battery but if no shore power of course it won't work but I'll use my jackery to power that for now.

Honestly I wouldn't mind to never use that switch. I never saw one of these and this is my 4th RV, none had that thing. I guess it's a good thing so the battery wont drain when off season etc but I don't like the idea if the switch goes you can't even use power from RV park.

Anyways thank you much for taking the time to write. Appreciate it.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:15 AM   #6
Platinum Member

When I read your reply, "Ok so there are two big cables, which I'll look at when I get back there, but which side of the battery to remove it off of (neg or pos) and place it on (neg or pos)? Thx." I thought you need to reread the answer. He is saying reposition the battery cable at the relay, not at the battery. It may be better to move the cable from the battery to the switched side of the relay.
If i misunderstood you, sorry. I just did not want you to have an issue with it.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 04:28 AM   #7
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
When I read your reply, "Ok so there are two big cables, which I'll look at when I get back there, but which side of the battery to remove it off of (neg or pos) and place it on (neg or pos)? Thx." I thought you need to reread the answer. He is saying reposition the battery cable at the relay, not at the battery. It may be better to move the cable from the battery to the switched side of the relay.
If i misunderstood you, sorry. I just did not want you to have an issue with it.
Oh ok. I thought the cables on the battery. My bad. It's hard to see what the relay is cause I really never looked for it but I'll look in the morning cause it's too dark now. I did see where the battery is on the driver's side rear underneath.
Cause I just had to put the charger on it. That loud clicking I hear when the switch works sounds like it's in the converter but never had someone go back there to listen.

Thank you for the input. Appreciate it.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:12 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGalan View Post
It's hard to see what the relay is cause I really never looked for it. . . That loud clicking I hear when the switch works sounds like it's in the converter but never had someone go back there to listen.
On my 1999 RT 170, the relay is on the passenger side in the back. There is a storage area underneath the back lounge cushion on the passenger side, which has a thin wooden partition near the metal wall of the van, The relay is behind that wooden partition. It is, unfortunately, a tight space and not easy to access or work in. I do not know if your 1999 RT 190 has it in the same place, but it might.

One other thing you might try, though I do not know if it will work with this kind of relay: you can try tapping it a few times with a small hammer or heavy wrench and see if that frees it up. If you can get the switch to work once, you can just leave it on all the time (as has been pointed out already, it is a latching relay so it will stay on or off without power)
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 05:09 PM   #9
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
On my 1999 RT 170, the relay is on the passenger side in the back. There is a storage area underneath the back lounge cushion on the passenger side, which has a thin wooden partition near the metal wall of the van, The relay is behind that wooden partition. It is, unfortunately, a tight space and not easy to access or work in. I do not know if your 1999 RT 190 has it in the same place, but it might.

One other thing you might try, though I do not know if it will work with this kind of relay: you can try tapping it a few times with a small hammer or heavy wrench and see if that frees it up. If you can get the switch to work once, you can just leave it on all the time (as has been pointed out already, it is a latching relay so it will stay on or off without power)
Thank you for the reply.

I didn't know there's anything on the pass side back there but I'll look. Thank you much.

Also I'll give the switch a tap to see.

Then just leave it on all the time and DC the neg cable off battery if long term storage.

I love the RT 99 190 I have but there's some things I'd do differently in building this. Hehe

I already took care of the sewer. Had it made into a permanent terminal like on all other RVs. I just attach my hose to the terminal adaptor and empty it. Don't have to deal with thin leaky hose in s tube no more. I store it in a plastic case in the storage area where the water power goes.

The water connection was not in a great ergonomic spot to connect so I added a regular city water inlet to it and much easier.

Thx for the help. I'll have to lift up the bed to get to that area you mention to see the relay.