Old 11-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default No more swivel seats on 2016 Sprinters...

except for the 10,000+ GVWR models because of new safety regulations and thoracic airbags in the seats. I just noticed this Mercedes change for 2016. For example, the 2016 Pleasureway Ascent won't have front swivel seats anymore. For a small RV, this basically means that you lose the front living area. This would probably be a deal breaker for me. I suppose someone could disable the airbags and modify the seats but this doesn't seem too wise and the RV companies won't be willing to assume this liability. The heavier weighted vehicles must have different safety regulations. Upgrading to the heavier rated vehicle would cost several thousand dollars more.

jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Gold Member

It was the biggest reason we stepped up our shopping and ordered one of the two remaining 2015 chassis's to have our 2016 PW Ascent built on.

To be honest though we initially thought it would be a deal breaker too, not having swivel seats. However, because the table can remain while the rear sofa is raised and lowered, it may have still worked for us...

sheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I can't imagine loosing the use of the front area.
We generally leave our bed made up and we do swivel our front seats ( 2006 Lexor TD)...without that we probably would not be in a B.
In day to day use it allows me somewhere to be when the galley is in use.

How safety regs affect anything not classed as a "passenger car" is a very wacky area.

for instance SUV's are not classed as passenger cars, but light trucks.

so the SUV and pickup trick and van do not have crumple zones, 5 MPH bumpers restraints and other 'safety features'.
This is why light trucks appear a "good value"- pound for pound.
and they may do better in an accident than a passenger car, but that is due to mass- not design.
and they do tend to flip

this extends to our B's.

MB has changed up it's airbags systems I think more for marketing/ consumer demand...but that restricts seat movement.
MB has also been a leader with stablity systems.
I don;t think this is in response to any US regs.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

PW site now indicating no swivel seats on the Ascent "Due To The Addition Of Thorax Air Bags in Front Seats." They still have video of 2015 model showing the swivel seats.

RT specs now indicate Thorax Air Bags, but their floor plans and photos still show swivel seats.

Someone on one of the Sprinter Forums also reported smaller fuel tank for 2016. 2016 MB specs indicate 24.5 gal. 2015 specs say 26.4 gal.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
PW site now indicating no swivel seats on the Ascent "Due To The Addition Of Thorax Air Bags in Front Seats." They still have video of 2015 model showing the swivel seats.

RT specs now indicate Thorax Air Bags, but their floor plans and photos still show swivel seats.

Someone on one of the Sprinter Forums also reported smaller fuel tank for 2016. 2016 MB specs indicate 24.5 gal. 2015 specs say 26.4 gal.
Just wondering if RT still offers swivel seats because they add their own seats to the coach?
Old 11-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheral View Post
Just wondering if RT still offers swivel seats because they add their own seats to the coach?
Do they?

I think they do add their own seats for those models with additional seats - other than the driver + front passenger ones, but I did not think they replaced the factory front seats with their own (maybe re-covered them?)

If they do and continue to offer front swivel seats on their Sprinters, and other RV makers don't, that may make their Sprinter models more attractive to some buyers. I know I would not buy one without the swivel seats.

The smaller gas tank is still problematic.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I can't imagine Roadtrek's attorneys allowing them to remove factory seats with airbags. I always thought they just recovered the seats anyway.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
I can't imagine Roadtrek's attorneys allowing them to remove factory seats with airbags. I always thought they just recovered the seats anyway.
That's what I thought. IIRC there was some mention, when the Travato's first came out, that Winnebago could not touch/fiddle/change anything in the front cab area, without needing to get re-certified by the Feds.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #9
Gold Member

yes you are likely right...
Old 11-13-2015, 12:45 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Promaster is under 10000 lbs GVWR, so I guess this doesn't apply to them. They have airbags built into the seats themselves. So the swivels remain on these I suppose.

Perhaps that is why no swivels on Transits, so far.

I had heard that under 10k GVWR had the same requirements as cars, and that trucks above that weight had lesser safety requirements. Guess that is out the window now?

wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote