Old 01-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Re: OK techies, there's a new Ontario Drive Clean procedure

I don't know if there is complaint procedure in place. It is highly subjective. I'm a bit negative on this only because of only one shop. Others shops have been very informative.
Easier to take it to a second shop if the required repairs seem out of line. If two shops concur on the needed repairs then you have peace of mind.
Obviously safety is most important.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Safety, yes, but not at any cost.
And absolutely not to line some repair place's pockets.

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Platinum Member

UPDATE:
Got my 2002 Chev Express van e-tested 2 days ago (before the current storm, and when there was a "dry roads" window of opportunity). It has a GVWR of 4309 KG. I found a local shop that was a DCF and got the van in expecting an easy pass because I had just checked it using my Scan Gauge II tester.

Much to my surprise, the technician pulled out the TSI (two speed idle) equipment and did a tailpipe emission test on it. I asked why, and was told the computer tells them which test should be done, and the TSI test was the answer. I was relieved when it passed, but was still skeptical of the process used.

I got home and immediately checked the MTO/Drive Clean website to see if I could figure it out based on the test threshold info there, but wound up sending a "contact us" to Drive Clean Ontario. The reply I got back explained that, in their SOP, they had some additional restrictions and thresholds for deciding which vehicles get which test. They sent me their chart for reference, and stated it's not available anywhere for the public to see. I expect it will be shortly, after a few thousand more imilar questions from puzzled vehicle owners who expected an OBD II test procedure, but got sniffed instead.

So, my van fell into the < 2007 and > 3856kg but < 4500kg range, and will always get a TSI test, unless they decide to change the rules again.

They said they used model year 2007, because they said that "Manufacturers of vehicles that fall into this equation were not required to be OBDII compliant until the model year 2007. Therefore, the best method chosen is the TSI test regardless if the vehicle is OBDII compliant."
Which struck me as a typical bureaucratic answer to what should have been a no-brainer (perhaps that has something to do with it?). It took almost 1/2 hour to do the TSI test, and it is supposed to take less than a few minutes to do an OBD test. What a waste of everyone's time, when the OBD II technology has been installed to be used as such since the mid '90s.

Personally, I think swapping the Roadtrek for a trailer would solve my Drive Clean disappointment
Attached Images
File Type: png DriveClean_Test Procedure Determinationsmall.PNG (55.3 KB, 358 views)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Very interesting Mike. Looks like my '97 diesel would be in the "Visual Inspection" category if I am understanding the chart correctly. My van is ODBII compliant in that my ScanGauge works as intended. I don't think I'm missing any features from the ScanGauge.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Very interesting Mike. Looks like my '97 diesel would be in the "Visual Inspection" category if I am understanding the chart correctly. My van is ODBII compliant in that my ScanGauge works as intended. I don't think I'm missing any features from the ScanGauge.
I think mine is as fully functional as your SG II, and I'm sure would have provided the same info as a 2007 or newer vehicle, but someone, somewhere, didn't understand that, and wanted to be "cautious" that we didn't let any non-compliant vehicles get past the (easier?) OBD II test.

You're in the pre-1998 category, if your weight (GVWR) is below 4500kg, I think you would be a visual inspection. Wonder what a visual inspection is? Smoke exiting the exhaust, I guess. I also found on the MTO/Drive Clean website that you can review your vehicle's emission test history with just the VIN number, and you can make a report of a suspected polluter online as well. It's a form that you fill in with dates/times, licence plate number, and some other info to identify the offending vehicle.

Off topic, it's very snowy here again, after we were almost snow-free yesterday. I think the precipitation has passed us, but it's windy and cold and a mess everywhere.
If you're east or southest of Ontario, Canada, you're probably getting the same as us, or will be soon.
Take any reasonable precautions, or top up any fuels or supplies you might need to be in doors for a few days, if necessary. We've been clobbered, and we weren't supposed to get the worst of it.
Take care everyone.