Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Question Purchase Comparison Spreadsheet

Anyone using (or has used) a spreadsheet (or database) for comparing several different models of RV to decide on a purchase?

I'm thinking of making one up with all the factors that are important to me down the side and all the models that make the short list along the top and then I can get a side by side comparison of features and pricing (along with picture and floor plan etc).

There are probably more than 1/2 a dozen models on my short list - some with 4wd, some 19', some 24', MB, Ford etc. There are some features that may be deal breakers in one situation but not-so-much on a different scenario.

We use all Mac products (since 198 so that would be helpful if it was formatted as such (or easily converted). i.e. if you have made one and would share...

Thanks in advance!
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I started this one about 1-1/2 years ago to keep track of/sort out what was on the market (or soon on market) at that time. Dated, but a reasonable example of one. Customize as needed. Photos came from "scrreenshots" using Preview.

FYI - I did this on Mac in Numbers, but that file format is not supported on this forum for upload. I can upload Excel file, but the images get stripped out. So I uploaded as pdf.

PM me with email and I can send you Numbers file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Comparision.pdf (241.6 KB, 102 views)
Old 11-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
I started this one about 1-1/2 years ago to keep track of/sort out what was on the market (or soon on market) at that time. Dated, but a reasonable example of one. Customize as needed. Photos came from "scrreenshots" using Preview.

FYI - I did this on Mac in Numbers, but that file format is not supported on this forum for upload. I can upload Excel file, but the images get stripped out. So I uploaded as pdf.

PM me with email and I can send you Numbers file.
Got the Numbers file and it is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks Bob.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Got the Numbers file and it is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks Bob.

Great! Spreadsheet format is very flexible, so you can add/subtract columns for criteria and add/subtract rows for different Class Bs. With spreadsheet you could, if you want, rate/weight criteria for sorting, too.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:36 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Great! Spreadsheet format is very flexible, so you can add/subtract columns for criteria and add/subtract rows for different Class Bs. With spreadsheet you could, if you want, rate/weight criteria for sorting, too.
The only thing I would like to add would be a weighted scoring of important features to get a sum of each option.
Then I could blame it on the technology for the choice...
Old 11-17-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
The only thing I would like to add would be a weighted scoring of important features to get a sum of each option.
Then I could blame it on the technology for the choice...
Exactly - take the top 5-7 columns of most importance for you and score them 10 for best 5 for 2nd and 2 for third.....or similar and you can see how each one scores. Although this is great to capture all key data you need something to say "this one scores the best based on my preferences". As stated, you can also weight each category so if it is only 50% important to you and it scores a "10" you would only assign 5 points .50x10=5 rather than awarding all 10 points for finishing first.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:57 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Nice discussion guys. I used to rate my clients in similar fashion.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I created a huge FileMaker Pro database of Class B and B+ RVs. In the process, I realized that there were 5 important things.

1. Headroom, bed length and legroom in the bathroom because I'm tall.
Here, I used the manufacturer's numbers. After bumping my head really good in a walkthrough, I learned to deduct 2.62 inches from the listed headroom for those RVs that had AC ducts (a.k.a. "plenums") anywhere that I would normally stand, like in the galley. The plenum measurement was based on one of Dometic's plenums. I used interior photos and side view photos from the RV companies to determine AC location. Looking at photos and floor plans, I made reasonable assumptions about bathroom leg room. I disliked those with refrigerators and microwaves under the counter or on or near the floor because I'd have to get down on my knees to use them. I'm too tall to just bend over.

2. Reliability
I compared warranties and looked at postings in the various RV forums. Everybody loves their RV when they first get it. I gave more weight to those who had their rig for a while.

3. Safety
This one was surprise and was more about comparing apples to apples, particularly on the Sprinter-based RVs. I found that some RV companies don't include several of the safety options that Mercedes offers, probably to be able to sell the unit at a lower price. Go the MBz site and go through their build-a-Sprinter process for a crew van. You'll see these options listed. Then, go back and check the RV sites and ask the manufacturers what they include or exclude. I also made note of things that I saw as potential hazards like Roadtrek's optional cooking burner in a closet, or propane outlets next to electrical connections. I'm alive today because of my minivan's safety systems, so all of this was critical.

4. Road visibility from the driver's seat.
I liked RVs that had counters and low items on the passenger side. A driver could see through the passenger side window if the bathroom was on the driver's side and the low stuff was on the passenger side. RV's with bathrooms right up against the rear of the driver's seat were ranked much lower than others because the bathroom wall often interfered with visibility.

5. Zones
Here, I looked at floorplans and determined if the bed could be left up while eating. Those that had separate zones for eating and sleeping were ranked higher.

The main database is now over 8 gigabytes, and is growing with the new model year. There are auxiliary connected databases that have info about options, accessories and solar configurations. Yes, I'm a nerd!
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
I created a huge FileMaker Pro database of Class B and B+ RVs. In the process, I realized that there were 5 important things.

The main database is now over 8 gigabytes, and is growing with the new model year. There are auxiliary connected databases that have info about options, accessories and solar configurations. Yes, I'm a nerd!
Great big pot of info there!
Can you punch in certain criteria and get a listing of matching units? If so maybe I could give you my list...
Old 12-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I can try. What are your questions?
Old 12-08-2016, 01:45 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Ok just for fun and games...

Turbocharged, Truma Combi, swivelling front seats, 12v fridge, towing minimum 3500 lbs.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:18 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Here's what I came up with. This is based on a quick review of my database. Because I excluded all RVs with less than 6'3" of interior headroom, there are probably others. To me, it didn't matter what other features the RV had if I didn't fit in it. I also didn't include towing capacity in the database because I don't ever see myself towing anything.

These are turbos, with Truma and swiveling front seats. I wasn't able to confirm the type of fridge that the Eras have:

1. Coachman Galleria (Listed on their site as "Trauma Combi." I used to have a job that was like that.)

2. Winnebago Era 70 series (all Truma, all turbo) (12v Fridge?)

Be aware that as far as I can tell, Winnebago sells a comparatively stripped version of the Sprinter. They order them without the Mercedes built-in backup camera, collision prevention, high beam assist, lane departure assist, rain sensing wipers, fog lamps and the headlight cleaning system. They then add their own backup camera from a third party. They also charge extra for the Mobileye third party collision avoidance system that they add back to the van. LTV, for example, includes all of these Mercedes options as standard on their RVs.