Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-02-2019, 10:56 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10
Default Rear view camera

I am very close to purchasing a Class B but I have a question for everyone. How do you know what's around you?

I took this vehicle for a test drive and it drove fine but when I looked in the rear view mirror, most of it was taken up by the bathroom! The van has a backup camera, which seems essential, but that doesn't help as I'm driving down an Interstate and in .25 miles there is a left hand exit I want to try to make if possible.

Is there a camera system for the rear view mirror that's on all the time? Or a different wire to connect it to instead of the reverse lights? Brake lights won't work.
__________________

lupulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:15 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 891
Default

Think truck, truck driver. It is the side mirrors, same with your B, and the driver.

Easy for me as I purchased the B 22 months after put in service and owned by a retired trucker, passed away. I was driving along with his son before purchase and he mentioned the side mirrors and thought they were no good.

It did not take but a couple of minutes to adjust each mirror, with each having a small 'Blind Spot Mirror' that had been selected by the trucker. On the left I can see everything right down the side of the van and almost directly sideways, everything. On the right same thing except not as much out to the side. Trying to recall sitting here, maybe 70 degrees with directly to the side being 90 degrees. The missing 20 degrees is seen through passenger window and window right behind. I can also see out the back windows, so I'm fine. I have been too lazy to install a rear camera. Without the rear camera I'm restricted some on what I can do compared to if I had one. I don't need one driving.

Bud
__________________

Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:51 PM   #3
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: California
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Think truck, truck driver. It is the side mirrors, same with your B, and the driver.

Easy for me as I purchased the B 22 months after put in service and owned by a retired trucker, passed away. I was driving along with his son before purchase and he mentioned the side mirrors and thought they were no good.

It did not take but a couple of minutes to adjust each mirror, with each having a small 'Blind Spot Mirror' that had been selected by the trucker. On the left I can see everything right down the side of the van and almost directly sideways, everything. On the right same thing except not as much out to the side. Trying to recall sitting here, maybe 70 degrees with directly to the side being 90 degrees. The missing 20 degrees is seen through passenger window and window right behind. I can also see out the back windows, so I'm fine. I have been too lazy to install a rear camera. Without the rear camera I'm restricted some on what I can do compared to if I had one. I don't need one driving.

Bud
That's such a great tip, Bud. In this day and age of multi camera views in everything from SUVs to compact cars, I sometimes think it has set us up for failure. Don't get me wrong, I love rear view cameras... I had an 85 Bronco 30 years ago with NO rear view mirror (it plumb fell off). I learned to use those big side mirrors. Best thing to ever happen to me. It's given me confidence to drive just about anything. Thanks again for the reminder... Sometimes we get too close to the project and miss the obvious solutions.
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:01 AM   #4
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,415
Default

Sprinters (at least) have optional blind-spot detection that I now consider indispensable in any vehicle. It is very effective. Also, there is a feature in the standard Sprinter head unit to leave the backup cam on while driving. It is not all that useful for this purpose, though. There are lots of aftermarket "electronic rear-view mirrors" that you could install. 360-degree "bird view" systems with four cameras have gotten very cheap. I installed one in our Sprinter several years ago. More useful for parking than driving, though.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:42 AM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,624
Default

In my Sprinter van I use my side mirrors with blind spot detection both with a red light and sound to warn me. I can then also see in the lower mirror if there is a vehicle and automatically know if I can see a vehicle they are in my blind spot. That's a belt and suspenders approach. Though I have a center rear view mirror and can see out the back window, I don't use it, but sparingly. I think of the center rear view to see what is going on inside my van. I do have a backup camera in my after market Pioneer 7" screen but it is only on when backing up.

I've ordered a new Sprinter with the Mercedes Benz MBUX unit 10" screen with a built in 360 camera view. I don't know how I would use that except for parking because I think I would have the navigation screen on most of the time.
__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:17 AM   #6
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,415
Default

The 360-degree camera system on our Volvo cannot be used over something like 10MPH. I guess they don't want people trying to drive with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sprinter OEM system had a similar restriction.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,624
Default

I don’t know if the 360 deg. view can operate over 10 mph. That’s a good question and perhaps it was meant for parking. ARV has had their own 360 system as an option for over 4 years which I think they will abandon for the MB system. The next ARV out the door after mine had the 360 and until that time I never heard of it. I just missed out on it or I might have been an early adopter and could have spoken with more knowledge.
__________________
Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Mercedes Benz Sprinter
Previous Class Bs:
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:48 AM   #8
Bronze Member
 
blackbourn3704's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 43
Thumbs up

I have one that mounts on the existing mirrror. I mounted the camera above the rear door. The camera is wide angle so everything behind looks farther away than it actually is. CAUTION !. The wide angle is good though when backing out of a driveway. You can see traffic coming from almost the side. You can also see the ground about 4 feet behind the van. Good when backing up. Here is where I got mine:
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/backu...a-systems.html
blackbourn3704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:02 AM   #9
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbourn3704 View Post
I have one that mounts on the existing mirrror. I mounted the camera above the rear door. The camera is wide angle so everything behind looks farther away than it actually is. CAUTION !.
qo8eedvwnohho7khznuf.jpg

__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupulin View Post
I am very close to purchasing a Class B but I have a question for everyone. How do you know what's around you?

I took this vehicle for a test drive and it drove fine but when I looked in the rear view mirror, most of it was taken up by the bathroom! The van has a backup camera, which seems essential, but that doesn't help as I'm driving down an Interstate and in .25 miles there is a left hand exit I want to try to make if possible.

Is there a camera system for the rear view mirror that's on all the time? Or a different wire to connect it to instead of the reverse lights? Brake lights won't work.
Purchase this from amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one in my RV, works great. Highly recommend this. It'll come on automatically when you're in reverse, or be on all the time, or on/off with a switch. All depends on how you hook it up.
ThunderAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: MN
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
In my Sprinter van I use my side mirrors with blind spot detection both with a red light and sound to warn me. I can then also see in the lower mirror if there is a vehicle and automatically know if I can see a vehicle they are in my blind spot. That's a belt and suspenders approach. Though I have a center rear view mirror and can see out the back window, I don't use it, but sparingly. I think of the center rear view to see what is going on inside my van. I do have a backup camera in my after market Pioneer 7" screen but it is only on when backing up.

I've ordered a new Sprinter with the Mercedes Benz MBUX unit 10" screen with a built in 360 camera view. I don't know how I would use that except for parking because I think I would have the navigation screen on most of the time.
I’m kinda highjacking this thread, but when I read you ordered a new Sprinter I needed to ask you a question. We live in MN north of the Twin Cities. We want to purchase a Sprinter, but are concerned about finding the ULSD 5%. Also, does the 15ppm Sulfur Maximum still qualify as ULSD 5%?
We have read the previous threads (& sometimes controversial) about this issue.
Yes, we have the page from Mercedes Benz on the continuous use of B20 can lead to fuel filter clogging & injector deposits...can cause engine performance degradation.
But I read you live in MN (not sure of your current MN location) and respect your opinion. How do you find fuel stations with the ULSD 5% in MN & when traveling—do you use an App?
Rdean925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupulin View Post
I am very close to purchasing a Class B but I have a question for everyone. How do you know what's around you?

I took this vehicle for a test drive and it drove fine but when I looked in the rear view mirror, most of it was taken up by the bathroom! The van has a backup camera, which seems essential, but that doesn't help as I'm driving down an Interstate and in .25 miles there is a left hand exit I want to try to make if possible.

Is there a camera system for the rear view mirror that's on all the time? Or a different wire to connect it to instead of the reverse lights? Brake lights won't work.
My side view mirrors have small blind spot mirrors on them. They work great! I looked into a camera system... they were costly and not reliable. My Garmin RV GPS has a backup camera as an add-on. I did that. Combine that with the blind spot side view mirrors, I am good to go.
sally4157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #13
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 99
Default

The Sprinter camera looks almost straight down; useful for the last 4 feet when backing up but for little else. I added a second "back up" camera with a wider view and I can switch between the cameras with a toggle on the dash. Even though the second camera can be left on as a "rear view mirror", functionality is limited because object are very small till close up due to the wide angle lens.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 1,174
Default Better view. It's going cost more than $30 though

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderAce View Post
Purchase this from amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one in my RV, works great. Highly recommend this. It'll come on automatically when you're in reverse, or be on all the time, or on/off with a switch. All depends on how you hook it up.
If you really want to see what's going on behind you... it's going to require a camera on the roof looking down...

And, YES, I can activate this camera even driving forward...

See photo;. It lights up automatically on my Kenwood screen anytime I shift to reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190409_100456.jpg (290.3 KB, 6 views)
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #15
Gold Member
 
Storysrvwego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Idaho
Posts: 98
Default

Its just a van. Like a full size pickup truck with a long bed. The old fashioned way of mirrors only. Backup camera is nice if your backing up against something but most you can ignore that and just use your provided exterior mirrors.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #16
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 100
Default Rear camera

Hi.
I bought an inexpensive rear view camera from eBay.
I installed it like three years ago.
Have had no issues.
It is the wireless type which made installation easy!
I wired mine with a switch for the camera, so I can turn it off and on at will.
Really makes backing up in a tight parking lot a breeze.. And, I can watch to make sure a person has not stepped behind me unknowing.
It is also great when towing my boat or kayaks.
For less than 50 bucks, itís a no brainer?
Mirrors are great, but being able to actually see what is behind me is vital!
Just my two cents.
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #17
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 1,174
Default You think , it's really not necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storysrvwego View Post
Its just a van. Like a full size pickup truck with a long bed. The old fashioned way of mirrors only. Backup camera is nice if your backing up against something but most you can ignore that and just use your provided exterior mirrors.
Hmm, I don't know about you, but, I like to see exactly what's behind my 26 feet ( with the bicycle rack). I can now see just over the bicycles ... and mirrors don't see everything.....

Not $50... sorry, more like $ 400 installed. Camera is a professional grade commercial camera and installation is professionally done wired to the front dashboard and integrated into the mobile electronics head set.

I'm not relying on some cheap wireless connection here.

Your choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190521_155156.jpg (386.4 KB, 7 views)
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #18
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: California
Posts: 63
Default Back-up camera issues

There are several problems with some back-up cameras.

1. Some wireless units, particularly the ones that work with smart phones, have too much image lag to be useful. If the delay between what's behind you and your displayed image is over a tenth of a second, you can hit something before you actually see it. Wired units have much less lag with almost instantaneous images, and can be worth all the extra effort running the wires.

2. Some shared dashboard devices require intervention to switch to the camera input. You don't have time to do this. Get a dedicated display that is always there when you need it.

3. Many displays become too bright even when there's nobody behind you, and that can interfere with your forward vision on a dark night. Make sure you can easily adjust the brightness or contrast, or can turn it off quickly, especially when it's foggy or your windshield is dirty.

4. And if you can, get an additional camera to monitor your right side blind spot. That's where many motorhomes have serious visibility problems and have frequent accidents.

Don't skimp on safety. The life you save might be one of us!
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #19
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5
Default

I have a 1994 pleasure way that I installed a cheap wireless backup camera with a 7 inch monitor. I wired the camera to a 12 volt wire that is always hot with a toggle switch to turn on/off. I mounted the monitor on the sun visor so that my dash is clear of any obstruction running the wire down behind the left pillar to a lighted hot switch to control on/off. Set up this way, I can go down the road with a continuous view of what's behind me. This is just a cheap unit, about $60 that I can add a side view camera if needed but so far, no need. Could not justify a $400 UNIT and I'm quite content with the unit. I also put reflectix painted black on the out side of my back glass for insulation and privacy. Works great in summer and winter.
dnnytlsn@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:24 AM   #20
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: VA
Posts: 77
Default

I added an aftermarket rear view camera that mounts over the rear view mirror. It offers Picture in picture showing forward and behind any time, shows full screen backup when put in reverse. Mounting a camera is a challenge. I decided to mount it inside under the rear upper cabinet, so it looks out the back window. This is the link for the system - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It also has the advantage of recording fore and aft on a loop, so if there is ever a mishap you will have a video record. Here are some pictures of the display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Camera1.jpg (102.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Camera2.jpg (123.3 KB, 5 views)
__________________

engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×