Old 07-16-2018, 07:01 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek 2004 and new/old Onan 2800

First post.

Please be patient. Years ago I had 1 1989 Roadtrek. In early 90's I bought and never installed a Onan 2800 Microlite. Then life happened. Fast forward, I recent bought a 2004 Roadtrek 170. It's generator ready. No one locally (Western Maine near NH) has any interest in installing it.. I've read the pitfalls of an Onan generator and the alternatives BUT it seems to make the most sense to use what I have. A custom welding shop suggested I try and locate a mounting bracket but I've seen that they appear to be discontinued. So the first question is are mounting brackets still available? I see two type one shown in my installation manual, the other an isolation mount. Neither available.

Second, their is a plug in the generator space 8 pin I believe. Where does that lead to? The old Roadtrek had a 30 amp receptacle to receive generator power. The 2004 doesn't seem to have a tie in that I can find.
I'm a good 3 or more hours from a Roadrek dealer so I'm not able to ask for this common questions that I've been unable to find answers to.

Any help from some one that's been down this path will be most appreciated.

BTFLCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Have you called Roadtrek?
They should have the bracket,
because they are still selling RV with Onan.

It might be difficult to install though, because they might have to open the floor.

Before you jump in with both feet (well, you already got the Onan, so you have got one foot in it), ask yourself... do you really need the generator?
If you go to full service campsites, there is no need for generators.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The issue may be that the old generator would not even have been for a Chevy, so the Chevy ones would be needed. Add to that the fact that the current Onan is not even the same size as the Onan used in 2004 in the Chevies, and it gets more complicated.

That said, the brackets are very simple formed sheet metal, that could be easily fabricated, plus some flat wire cross bracing for the front.

Beyond that you would need a fuel line to the tank, wiring, remote panel, transfer switch, and exhaust plus some other stuff likely.

Very doable, but the OP would be money and time ahead if he could find someone who had removed a failed Onan to get all the other parts.

Of course, the Onan he has will likely need some expensive work, as the slip rings will likely be corroded, and it may have carb issues, and of course it may not even be the right side since it was originally going to go in a Dodge.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:27 PM   #4

BBQ,
Roadtrek was my first call. They do not have a bracket nor did they display any interest in helping or making referrals.
As to how we plan to travel. Full hookup require planning in season. We're looking for maximum flexibility. Also in Maine, many campgrounds close down early in the fall.

booster,
The gas line is there as well as an 8 pin connector. There is a space below the monitor panel that is cut out (behind the fabric).
Good point about the slip rings. I will,of course,
run the generator prior to going any further.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Do I understand this right - you have a nearly 20 year old gasoline generator that was just in storage and now you want to install in your Roadtrek? Does this generator even run? As booster said it likely needs a lot of expensive work. Sounds like a bad deal to me.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

At a minimum I would check the brush resistance with an Ohm meter to avoid destroying the voltage regulator. $$$
'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:26 AM   #7

Well it looks like I've got some thinking to do as well as a lot of work before proceeding.

This is exactly the type of information I need.

You never know what you don't know.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

Sell the Onan.

Get a Honda... and a hitch mount Stowaway2 box.

Problem solved.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Sell the Onan.

Get a Honda... and a hitch mount Stowaway2 box.

Problem solved.
I like the Champion with the remote control key fob.
'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #10

Before selling the Onan I would need to determine it's true condition. I won't want to stick someone with a lemon.

Based on age and infirmity, I'm going to have think about the mechanics of the portable off the hitch. The Roadtrek 170 has limited access to storage so getting the rear door open is critical. The honda with a conversion to propane might work since it could be stored inside and eliminate the theft concern.

Not going to make any rash decisions that's how I wound up with a unused Onan.