Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 03:34 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek Hymer Entry Level B

Roadtrek / Hymer is quoted in RV Business as presenting a new entry level Class B on the Promaster chassis at the Elkhart RV Open House next week. Anyone seen details on this unit? Or attending Elkhart and can take some pics? Did they preview this at Hershey?

Here's the PR blurb:

At the Open House, Roadtrek will have a new entry-level model on a ProMaster chassis, which, [Mike] Snell said, will also have a similar product (albeit with different floorplans and interior looks) on the Hymer side as well.

It will be entry-level and put us in a price point that we’ve never been at, said Snell, the former Monaco executive who added that, while the exact MSRPs for all models are still being determined, pricing on this particular unit would be the lowest ever for a Class B.

Our intent on this is to come in with a product that will put us into segments that we’ve never really been in and try to draw in a customer base that previously might not have been interested in a Class B.

Also on display will be the Zion Link and Simplicity, both of which are now in production
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:46 AM   #2
Platinum Member

It will be interesting to see what these are since they must be something new...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Intriguing - if it is the right balance of low cost and basic comfort then it could be a hit.

I`d much rather add the costly tech stuff myself or have a third party do it so that I`d know for sure it is spec'd precisely to my requirements.

I've often thought an easily modifiable low cost rig (think earlier 190P's & V's) could develop a large customer base.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

They did eliminate their low end Ranger on the Chevy so it would not be surprising for them to fill that hole with a Promaster model.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The water heater that you had to remove to drain was kind of odd in the RT Ranger. The PW Basis had a roof vent but no fan in it - probably to keep costs down.

If the lower cost rig is too compromised for the asking price or too odd it likely won't be a hit.

Shorter warranties on the budget rigs could cut the price. A touring rig needs enough power to get through an overnight so a stock alt and 100 to 200ah battery would do it. No generator so plug in for A/C. Prewire & make A/C optional is another cost cutter.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I would be surprised if Hymer reduced the warranty period on a low end Roadtrek or Hymer model since that would imply that the quality is lower on a low end model...
Old 09-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Interesting. I'd love to see a lower cost basic model Promaster.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:10 AM   #8
Platinum Member

That would be an interesting. A very basic Promaster with a long list of options so that you could get what you want... and only what you want.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:30 AM   #9

When I Google Zion Link I find a dealer that has some info on the unit that sounds plausible - built on the 1500 Promaster, forward facing rear couch and dry bath with shower in the walkway.

Sounds like a good unit - it's supposed to be at Hershey - did anyone see it?
Billyboy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:25 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I hope "low cost" doesn't mean "stripped down", where one pays for options that are normally included. I would say for the ProMaster market, the Travato is what people need to be competitive with, price-wise, without tossing features like generators, A/C, and other stuff. I remember one "budget" class "B" I saw that didn't even have a shower.

It would be nice to have a list of options to buy, but my concern is that once one buys all the options they want/need, it may be a lot higher in price than just buying a Travato or similar model.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #11
Gold Member

Default Simplicity SRT

While browsing through the Models at the RT display at Hershey, came across the Simplicity SRT. I hadn't read or heard of this Model's existence. Since the Simplicity, built on the Promaster Chassis and is basically a stripped Zion, is already the "Entry" level offering, the Simplicity SRT's base MSRP will be even less. This is probably the one that is being referred to by the OP. On another note, the new RT LINK is doomed from the start. What could have been a special offering, on the short 144" WB Promaster Chassis, is burdened by a ridiculous Shower feature. Whom ever signed off on that design is completely out of touch with what the Market expects with the short Promaster. You have to step inside one and you'll understand. Sad....
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #12
Silver Member

What could have been a special offering, on the short 144" WB Promaster Chassis, is burdened by a ridiculous Shower feature. Whom ever signed off on that design is completely out of touch with what the Market expects with the short Promaster. You have to step inside one and you'll understand. Sad....

You didn't even have to step inside. While outside, heard several couples say, "no, no way, that's out"
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
What could have been a special offering, on the short 144" WB Promaster Chassis, is burdened by a ridiculous Shower feature. Whom ever signed off on that design is completely out of touch with what the Market expects with the short Promaster. You have to step inside one and you'll understand. Sad....

You didn't even have to step inside. While outside, heard several couples say, "no, no way, that's out"
I don't understand. Can you elaborate what you are saying?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #14
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmroman View Post
While browsing through the Models at the RT display at Hershey, came across the Simplicity SRT. I hadn't read or heard of this Model's existence. Since the Simplicity, built on the Promaster Chassis and is basically a stripped Zion, is already the "Entry" level offering, the Simplicity SRT's base MSRP will be even less. This is probably the one that is being referred to by the OP. On another note, the new RT LINK is doomed from the start. What could have been a special offering, on the short 144" WB Promaster Chassis, is burdened by a ridiculous Shower feature. Whom ever signed off on that design is completely out of touch with what the Market expects with the short Promaster. You have to step inside one and you'll understand. Sad....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
I don't understand. Can you elaborate what you are saying?
As you looked in the door and right behind the driver's seat was a "shower" not unlike some I have seen in A-frames. My wife likened it to what the Flintstones had. It was a low wall and then had a metal pole that supported a metal ring around which hung a shower curtain. If you stood in the middle of this contraption the top of the curtain would maybe come to your chest. Sorry, I should have taken a picture of it. Never thought it would come up in discussion. It was like someone at the factory said, "Oops, we forgot to include a shower!" And someone else said, "0oh, I have an idea...."

Perhaps the original poster could add...
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

You are talking about this? LOL

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14333761_1695212517472096_6671776074619415675_n.jpg (43.8 KB, 16 views)
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Sounds a lot like the shower that Safari Condo uses on the Alto trailer. Those are very high end and have a huge backlog, I think, so some folks must not be put off by shower.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I was at Hershey today and took some video and photos of it:

https://youtu.be/NaWovNqlR7Y
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:39 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmroman View Post
While browsing through the Models at the RT display at Hershey, came across the Simplicity SRT. I hadn't read or heard of this Model's existence. Since the Simplicity, built on the Promaster Chassis and is basically a stripped Zion, is already the "Entry" level offering, the Simplicity SRT's base MSRP will be even less. This is probably the one that is being referred to by the OP.
Did Roadtrek show an MSRP price for the Simplicity SRT? The current Zion SRT lists for about 5% less than a full length Zion. If a similar differential applies then perhaps the Simplicity SRT would list for around $76k.

That SRT looks like a nice unit but doesn't seem different enough to break open any new "market segments" based on price or capabilities. And with the fixed bed it's a two person only product. Then again perhaps Roadtrek was exaggerating a bit about breaking open new markets.

In Europe there are many units on the similar Ducato 6 meter (20 ft) chassis with four person seating, transverse platform bed, small bathroom, and basic Truma combi heating/hot water. They also usually skip the generators, microwave, inverter; and leave rooftop AC, awning, and TVs as optional. But they also sell for less than $60k USD equivalent and provide a nice entry level option for young families. If Hymer/Roadtrek brought this type of design stateside it could truly define a new market segment.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Very odd. The have an aisle facing toilet, it appeared, so it just looks like it would a natural to combine the toilet and shower like they used to do, with an aisle shower. This one you give up the entire floor to ceiling space, just to get a bit of countertop, so it might as well have fixed walls.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #20
Platinum Member

The Roadtrek Simplicity has been out for awhile, I think there must be a newer low end model coming in Elkhart...

You are being redirected...