Old 07-08-2018, 04:00 AM   #1

Default Selecting a new Class B

After owning other types of RVs over the years we purchased our 1998 Pleasure-Way as a fairly low-cost experiment 2 1/2 years ago. We love it. Now, we're ready to make a larger investment in a late model class B. Frankly, the options are overwhelming. I started to build a spreadsheet to catalog and compare options and have been awake at night trying to include everything needed. It occurred to me that one or more of you may have done this and may be willing to share your wisdom. If so, thanks in advance!

Old 07-10-2018, 02:16 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Are you attempting to catalog all of the configurations/options on all of the currently available Class Bs? It might be easier to first determine what you want to do with your B and then pick a B that will match your requirements.

For example, you might try the following:

1. Decide on your budget range.

2. Pick your platform: Sprinter, Promaster or Transit. (diesel/gas, FWD/RWD/DRW/4WD, vehicle length, wheelbase, towing, etc.)

3. Pick your specific requirements. That is, are any of the following dealmakers/breakers?
a. Number of people you have to transport/number you have to sleep
b. Toilets: Cassette, gravity dump, mascerator
c. Energy needs: Propane, lithium, solar, generator
d. Configuration: bathroom size, bathroom location, separate sleeping/dining, available storage, etc.)

At each step, a choice may cause potential vans to fall off the list and sometimes what you want simply isn't available. The fewer "requirements" you have, the larger the pool of available Bs. Since you have already owned a PW, you might be bale to articulate what you want/don't want in your next fan. If you could do that, it would be easier for members to suggest a shorter list for you to research.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:36 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Ditto what Phoebe3 said. Good advice. Consider how you'll use the rig, and what components/amenities you do or don't want.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #4

I found this video interesting in helping with the decision making process.

http://youtu.be/rltpR-MsmpE

Lots of good info on Class B's on his channel as well.

Good luck!

Mike
myin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Mike, Excellent suggestion! I came here to post a link to that video myself.
dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:32 PM   #6
Bronze Member

When I started looking I was looking at used, but after seeing the price of something 15 years old with lots of miles/Kms on them, I decided to go new. I looked at many different makes and models and decided on a Carado Banff. First reason was the price, at least $20,000 cheaper than anything else. Second, it had all the options I need. I can live completely off grid, it has lithium’s, solar charger and an under hood generator. It’s a wide open layout, not a cramped sitting area in the rear like some models. And it’s build on a Ram Promaster chassis with the, almost, indestructible 3.6 litre engine. To me this won out over the way more expensive models.
Toolman0114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman0114 View Post
When I started looking I was looking at used, but after seeing the price of something 15 years old with lots of miles/Kms on them, I decided to go new. I looked at many different makes and models and decided on a Carado Banff. First reason was the price, at least $20,000 cheaper than anything else. Second, it had all the options I need. I can live completely off grid, it has lithiumís, solar charger and an under hood generator. Itís a wide open layout, not a cramped sitting area in the rear like some models. And itís build on a Ram Promaster chassis with the, almost, indestructible 3.6 litre engine. To me this won out over the way more expensive models.
Which 3.6 engine is that? Gas? I just bought a 2019 Travato and hope the engine is dependable. Iím used to Landcruisers and theyíre bulletproof. I know the Sprinter diesels are as well.
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:39 AM   #8
Bronze Member

The 3.6 is the Dodge V6 gas engine, much better than their small diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie1 View Post
Which 3.6 engine is that? Gas? I just bought a 2019 Travato and hope the engine is dependable. Iím used to Landcruisers and theyíre bulletproof. I know the Sprinter diesels are as well.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman0114 View Post
The 3.6 is the Dodge V6 gas engine, much better than their small diesel.

Is that the same engine as the RAM ProMaster 280-hp 3.6L V6 gas?
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 AM   #10
Bronze Member

That be the one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie1 View Post
Is that the same engine as the RAM ProMaster 280-hp 3.6L V6 gas?