Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
Silver Member
 
Davidk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 69
Default serpenetine belt broke

Happy Easter all

Just started up RV for the first time this year, Had to keep it revved up a bit so it would not stall. Went to pull out of the winter shelter. No power steering. Also gen light came on. Opened up the bonnet and the belt was gone.

Found it hanging on the frame below. Belt in great shape but looked like it snapped. Before i buy a new one and install is there something i should check to see why the other broke.

Found Boosters trick on how to help with the install ( thank you ) by myself. But just wondering if there is a reason for the break , like something stuck/froze that i can manually check by hand. Everything seemed fine last season when i put it up for the winter. Had a new rad and hoses installed just before it went up for the winter also

Also any other helpful tricks or hints would be great ( 1997 ,318 dodge )

Thanks in advance

David
__________________

__________________
David Mona
and the Girls

1997 RoadTrek 170
Popular
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,497
Default

QUOTE=Davidk;92322]Happy Easter all

Just started up RV for the first time this year, Had to keep it revved up a bit so it would not stall. Went to pull out of the winter shelter. No power steering. Also gen light came on. Opened up the bonnet and the belt was gone.

Found it hanging on the frame below. Belt in great shape but looked like it snapped. Before i buy a new one and install is there something i should check to see why the other broke.

Found Boosters trick on how to help with the install ( thank you ) by myself. But just wondering if there is a reason for the break , like something stuck/froze that i can manually check by hand. Everything seemed fine last season when i put it up for the winter. Had a new rad and hoses installed just before it went up for the winter also

Also any other helpful tricks or hints would be great ( 1997 ,318 dodge )

Thanks in advance

David[/QUOTE]


I haven't used the "trick" on a Dodge, but likely will help for them also, or any other vehicle that needs you to go under to get the belt on the lower pulleys.

Anything that turns with the belt could stick and cause the breaking belt, I think, except for the crankshaft pulley itself as that is what drives it and you know that works as the engine ran. You should be able to check all of the others can be rotated to check if they are stuck or overly tight.


Also possible is that the spring loaded damper stuck and didn't properly tension the belt. Sometimes they can stick after sitting, get pulled to tighter just as the engine starts and not go back to controlling tension. You should be able to check that when you put the belt on as you will need to move the damper to get the belt on. Move the damper all the way to it's stop point and make sure it doesn't try to stick there.


If the air conditioner belt is the same age, I would change both while you are in there.


They make a high reliability "green" belt for the Chevies that IMO is worth the extra money, if it is still available. They seem to be very good belts. They may also be available for Dodges.


It is most likely the belt just failed from age or defect when started after sitting. They take a set to the shape of the pulleys and even stick to them sometimes, and if you had to race it to keep running it would see more load before it warmed up and got more flexible.
__________________

booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
Bronze Member
 
JebTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lost State of Franklin
Posts: 30
Default

booster pretty much covers the problems but I had mine snap 2 summers ago. It was starting to shred and we were looking to spend the night at a Walmart and wait till a Ford garage opened the next morning. We pulled into the closed Ford dealer to turn around to go back to Walmart after we were sure were the dealer was and it snapped, we stopped and camped in their lot. Turned out to be a seized water pump. Our diesel make enough noise that the noise coming from the water pump failing was easy to ignore accept in hindsight.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
Silver Member
 
Davidk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 69
Default

Thanks Booster

I will check all other items that the belt goes around, and yes makes sense about keeping the shape and me having to keep the rpm's up a bit to keep from stalling.

In the book it shows my van having the same belt going around the air conditioner , but will check to see if there is a secondary belt on it.

Also will check to see if there is the " green " belt for the Dodge that you mentioned.

Thanks for the input...........and i think the bungie cord idea will be my helping hands in the install

ps: Also the GEN light came on , would this just mean that something was not running right because the belt broke ..as i do not have a on board generator

thanks
__________________
David Mona
and the Girls

1997 RoadTrek 170
Popular
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
Silver Member
 
Davidk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 69
Default

Thanks JebTN.

will check that also, hope its not my water pump and just a tight pully
__________________
David Mona
and the Girls

1997 RoadTrek 170
Popular
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
Thanks Booster

I will check all other items that the belt goes around, and yes makes sense about keeping the shape and me having to keep the rpm's up a bit to keep from stalling.

In the book it shows my van having the same belt going around the air conditioner , but will check to see if there is a secondary belt on it.

Also will check to see if there is the " green " belt for the Dodge that you mentioned.

Thanks for the input...........and i think the bungie cord idea will be my helping hands in the install

ps: Also the GEN light came on , would this just mean that something was not running right because the belt broke ..as i do not have a on board generator

thanks

All the GEN light means is that alternator is not generating high enough voltage above battery voltage, which it can't do if it isn't turning.


For some reason they keep using GEN lights when alternators have been the standard for decades.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #7
Silver Member
 
Davidk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
All the GEN light means is that alternator is not generating high enough voltage above battery voltage, which it can't do if it isn't turning.


For some reason they keep using GEN lights when alternators have been the standard for decades.
Ok but caught me off guard for a bit wondering why GEN light
thanks again
__________________
David Mona
and the Girls

1997 RoadTrek 170
Popular
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: America's Seaplane City, FL
Posts: 376
Default

Do yourself a favor and buy two belts. Keep one for a spare. I had a belt snap while traveling due to a bad bearing in the idler pulley but they can go at any time.

The thing is, when that belt goes, it's a show stopper. You're done and can't really go anywhere. A tow truck, service call, or a ride to a parts house/shop will be required. Time,inconvenience, money and aggravation all come into play. If you have a spare and a tool to move the tensioner you are on your way in 5-10 minutes.

When mine went I had a motorcycle with that I used to get a new idler and belt. I did and do carry a spare that would have come in real handy if the parts house was out of stock or did not carry a belt for my 19 year old vehicle.
__________________
2000 Roadtrek Chevy 200 Versatile
Fun stuff:
'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #9
Silver Member
 
Davidk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Do yourself a favor and buy two belts. Keep one for a spare. I had a belt snap while traveling due to a bad bearing in the idler pulley but they can go at any time.

The thing is, when that belt goes, it's a show stopper. You're done and can't really go anywhere. A tow truck, service call, or a ride to a parts house/shop will be required. Time,inconvenience, money and aggravation all come into play. If you have a spare and a tool to move the tensioner you are on your way in 5-10 minutes.

When mine went I had a motorcycle with that I used to get a new idler and belt. I did and do carry a spare that would have come in real handy if the parts house was out of stock or did not carry a belt for my 19 year old vehicle.
Thanks SteveJ
good tip and yes i will buy 2 , just another thing to add to the repair trunk of parts to carry in rv
And yes without this belt it is hard to go much further

David
__________________
David Mona
and the Girls

1997 RoadTrek 170
Popular
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:32 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: America's Seaplane City, FL
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
Thanks SteveJ
good tip and yes i will buy 2 , just another thing to add to the repair trunk of parts to carry in rv
And yes without this belt it is hard to go much further

David
Yer quite welcome.

I've had good luck with Gates belts hoses, parts, etc. IIRC, they are still made in N. America.
__________________

__________________
2000 Roadtrek Chevy 200 Versatile
Fun stuff:
'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.