Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2024, 01:42 PM   #21
Platinum Member

We always turn off all the appliances before fueling.

As far as going down the road running propane for your refrigerator, that is the only option for most travel trailers and fivers. And yes, they should obviously shut it off prior to fueling.

I use a sniffer and check my propane lines and connections a few times a year during my ordinary maintenance procedures. I have never had to tighten a connection or found a leak. Maybe I have just been lucky but living in an oil and gas producing state all my life I have seen some sad things and I am doubly cautious.

Another point is this: replace your onboard propane detector every few years. They are mounted mostly (and properly) down low and close to the floor and that fact alone can cause them to pick up a lot of dust. It is a cheap and easy replacement. I seem to recall that the newer units say replace every six years.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:33 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Over the decades I have seen horrendous pictures of RV fires attributed to LP and people in a panic about how to deal with it. I could be wrong but I have only seen one documented fire at a gas station caused by a pilot light on. Older gentleman lost control of the fuel nozzle and sprayed it in the refer vent!

Electrical fires are more common than LP and may cause the LP tank to vent but there is never long discussions about removing the fuse/breaker panel and checking the connections are tight. Or replacing old worn electrical outlets or checking the connections. Using an IR gun to check electrical or bearings tires when stopped.

Have your RV's brakes checked. A dragging brake can create enough friction to ignite a tire or brake fluid.
Bouncing down the road can loosen electrical connections, which can produce heat, and in turn, fire. Tighten them before your trip.
Check all 12-volt connections before every trip. Many RV fires are caused by a 12-volt short.
Leaking fluids in the engine compartment can ignite. During your pre-trip inspection, check all hoses for firmness, clamp tightness, and signs of leaking. Have repairs made before you travel.
MECHANICAL OR ELECTRICAL failures cause roughly THREE QUARTERS of the highway vehicle fires. Proper maintenance will help reduce your chances of having malfunctions on the road.

I am not saying do not turn off LP, there are other things that can cause the LP tank to do what it is designed to do and make the evening news, but the news calls it a propane explosion not a brake fire.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:41 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Something is going to do us all in, but it isn't going to be because the propane was on at the gas station. It does however make for a dramatic and scary news story, and people love those.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:45 PM   #24
Site Team

Although in this case, I am in the "better safe than sorry" camp, it is worth observing that the risk of explosion at filling stations has no doubt gone down significantly since the advent of vapor-capture systems in the fuel pump nozzles.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote