Old 07-29-2019, 04:20 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Sliding or folding door?

I'm preparing an order for a 2020 Ford Transit that will be converted to a Class B. On the Transit, the side door on the passenger side can be either a sliding door (the default) or a pair of regular fold-open doors (like on the back, except with a 60/40 split). Does anyone have reason to suggest one over the other? I tend to lean towards the fold-open doors by gut feel, but I have no firm reasons. Also, if I went with the sliding door, is a power slider worth the cost?

Thanks in advance...

rothskeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:37 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Just my two cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothskeller View Post
I'm preparing an order for a 2020 Ford Transit that will be converted to a Class B. On the Transit, the side door on the passenger side can be either a sliding door (the default) or a pair of regular fold-open doors (like on the back, except with a 60/40 split). Does anyone have reason to suggest one over the other? I tend to lean towards the fold-open doors by gut feel, but I have no firm reasons. Also, if I went with the sliding door, is a power slider worth the cost?

Thanks in advance...
As for security... I would think that the sliding door is way harder to break into...plus you can open it with a vehicle parked close.....the fold open doors need clearance.

I don't think a power slider is necessary. Unless you can't manage to open the door yourself.

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
Gold Member

I have never owned a sliding door- manual or powered- that didn’t give trouble, and I’ve never owned a conventional hinged door that did. I’ve run a lot of vans in church use as well as several for personal use. I’d always choose conventional hinged doors given a choice.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothskeller View Post

Thanks in advance...
Not certain but it appears that 2020 is not the first year? If so, makes me wonder why I've only seen the B manufacturers and upfitters use the sliding door. Interesting comments so far, plus the view out the sliding door from inside might be better depending on floor plan.

Please let us know the outcome.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We have a Chevy with the traditional GM double hinged doors on the side and after looking and trying the sliders at the RV shows actually found we preferred the hinged ones. DW is small and especially from the inside had a lot of trouble reaching and sliding the door shut hard enough to latch as a lot them, at least then, were not open areas inside as far as the door opened. She had a bit less trouble from outside, but really didn't like it at all compared to the hinged versions.

I wonder how the power ones are if they break? I know with a lot of the minivans you have to take a lot of the interior out them to get to the cables and mechanisms. Folks we know were paying $1000+ per side to have cables replaced. With a B it might be blocked even worse.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Hinged side doors might give you more options as to where to place interior components that require venting, an exhaust or plumbing and electrical inlets and outlets etc. that would be otherwise blocked or perhaps damaged by a sliding door.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I would prefer that my van had hinged doors. The slider is noisy and frequently we find ourselves going in and out front doors so as not to wake up the campground.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Is the 60/40 hinged side cargo door only available on low roof Ford Transits?
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
Old 07-29-2019, 10:25 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Is the 60/40 hinged side cargo door only available on low roof Ford Transits?
In the 2020 order guide, that option (code 59A) is shown as available for any cargo van or passenger van (but not crew van).
rothskeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Do you know (or does anyone else know) if the hinged side cargo doors will be full height of the opening for the medium and tall roof vans?