Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 03:21 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Unfair RV Dealer Practices, A Problem?

Did you feel cheated when you bought your new Class B?
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:57 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default I don't recommend buying new....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
We purchased ours 5 years old...... not perfect....

We had some issues....but, the deprecation is not as bad....

What do you mean by cheated??? Please explain.

I assume you negotiated a price????
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

This is pure curiosity on my part. I bought my rig used from a private party, so I have no experience in this area.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Suffice to say that the dealer and Roadtrek reinforced the stereotypical behavior that we had heard about before we bought. Most of the bad behavior came after the sale, and they already had our money.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have purchased 4 RVs... all from the same dealer. I have stuck with this company because they are honest, have fair pricing, and very good service care. And I bought the first one over the phone/internet and never met the dealer until about 5 years later.

The best way to protect yourself is to be an educated buyer... know current prices... know the rig that you are looking at and its competition. The internet currently makes that easier.

No different from buying a car... or a house.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I'd say it was mixed, but mostly positive. I called the three dealerships with the lowest prices on what I wanted. One of them quoted me $2K off their advertised price with no dealer prep fees - what they quoted was what we paid, period. That was the good news.

The RV had been driven from the manufacturer to the dealership so they told me up front it had 1,900 miles on it. Dealerships that flat-bedded delivery wanted $2K more and I understand that, but I doubt if we will keep it much beyond the warranty period so that was OK.

We were picked up at the airport, allowed to test drive the van and taught how the components worked, no charge.

However, the van actually had 350 more miles on it than I was told and it became apparent that they had either driven it to shows or the staff had used it for outings (we suspected the latter). No damage, but not really "new."

We debated fussing about the 350 miles, but in the end decided that the good news was that every potential issue had been corrected for the benefit of the staff and, indeed, everything worked perfectly.

We stayed nearby overnight and went back in the morning with a couple of questions. Our salesman was not in so another person helped us. He made it clear that since there was no additional money to be made, he would like us to go away and never darken the door again. Based on information I had already read in forums, this was not unexpected, but it was rather disappointing to have those testimonials confirmed.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Is this close to the price point you paid???? Lot of value for the money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
I'd say it was mixed, but mostly positive. I called the three dealerships with the lowest prices on what I wanted. One of them quoted me $2K off their advertised price with no dealer prep fees - what they quoted was what we paid, period. That was the good news.

The RV had been driven from the manufacturer to the dealership so they told me up front it had 1,900 miles on it. Dealerships that flat-bedded delivery wanted $2K more and I understand that, but I doubt if we will keep it much beyond the warranty period so that was OK.

We were picked up at the airport, allowed to test drive the van and taught how the components worked, no charge.

However, the van actually had 350 more miles on it than I was told and it became apparent that they had either driven it to shows or the staff had used it for outings (we suspected the latter). No damage, but not really "new."

We debated fussing about the 350 miles, but in the end decided that the good news was that every potential issue had been corrected for the benefit of the staff and, indeed, everything worked perfectly.

We stayed nearby overnight and went back in the morning with a couple of questions. Our salesman was not in so another person helped us. He made it clear that since there was no additional money to be made, he would like us to go away and never darken the door again. Based on information I had already read in forums, this was not unexpected, but it was rather disappointing to have those testimonials confirmed.

Phoebe,

Found this online.... it's not brand new... but, it's a 2018 with less than 20,000 miles...

https://www.mhsrv.com/2018-coachmen-...-b-tx-i2317180

Did you consider the diesel engine on the Ford Transit platform..they do make one....
I'm of the opinion that diesel engines have more lifetime use and are not as subjected to higher mileage.....NADA guidelines don't even consider mileage as a factor on diesels.

Also, diesels are better climbing mountains.....

Good going on the dual wheels.... it's a lot safer...... hopefully you have a tire pressure monitoring system.. with valve extensions?? I highly recommend it.

Only thing that I had an issue with on the Ford Transit was the very confining front dashboard... protruding into the driver's compartment.... making it very difficult to move out of the front seats and go directly to the back of the van...just me....
Old 08-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Bad customer service.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post

You wrote,

This is really terrible.....

One more thing...how are those "side seats"...in the rear working for you??
Do you actually drive with any passengers seated in the back of the van?
I would think that it's not particularly safe for them to be there sitting on either side of the van...... seat belts or not..... wouldn't be as effective as facing forward?

I'm sure you have a king size bed and expand that every night OR....do you sleep on the twins??

Who may I ask was the dealership that sold this to you? I see that you're also in California like we are..... Camping World?? Just curious....?

I wouldn't want to use the dealership you used based on what you said....
Old 08-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
Gold Member

Quote:
I drove an hour to look at a unit. We agreed on a price including prep, and I told them I would be back with the boyfriend the next day, Saturday, to buy it and take delivery. The sales guy told me 3PM, to give the guys time to prep it. We showed up at 3PM the next day and I saw the van was still in the same spot on their lot. The same sales guy came out and said that because it was a Saturday they decided they wanted $10,000 more. I’m not kidding. I put my big fat middle finger in his face and told him having us drive down with no intention of selling us the van as planned and agreed upon was worse than dirty play. I told him that not even attempting to call us to stop us from wasting two hours of our precious Saturday just in the drive alone, was disgusting. Then I walked into the dealership and I shouted so that everybody could hear “Who is the sales manager here and why did you let two brand new customers drive all this way to pick up their new RV knowing that you were not going to sell it to them and you were going to jack up the price and try to f*ck them?!” A guy came running over to me to try and shut me up, but I repeated the same thing at the top of my lungs until the sales manager walked over to me, introduced himself and asked me why I would do such a thing in front of all of his other customers. I then repeated at the top of my lungs exactly what he had just asked me, and then I gave him his answer, again very loudly so everybody could hear “You guys f*cked us today and wasted our day and my yesterday haggling and dealing until we had a sale, so the least I could do was let all of your other customers know that you’re about to f*ck them too.“ About a dozen people started clapping. One couple got up from a sales table and walked out. I gave my salesman the finger again right into his face and followed the nice couple out to the parking lot. #SorryNotSorry They deserved it.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
I drove an hour to look at a unit. We agreed on a price including prep, and I told them I would be back with the boyfriend the next day, Saturday, to buy it and take delivery. The sales guy told me 3PM, to give the guys time to prep it. We showed up at 3PM the next day and I saw the van was still in the same spot on their lot. The same sales guy came out and said that because it was a Saturday they decided they wanted $10,000 more. I’m not kidding. I put my big fat middle finger in his face and told him having us drive down with no intention of selling us the van as planned and agreed upon was worse than dirty play. I told him that not even attempting to call us to stop us from wasting two hours of our precious Saturday just in the drive alone, was disgusting. Then I walked into the dealership and I shouted so that everybody could hear “Who is the sales manager here and why did you let two brand new customers drive all this way to pick up their new RV knowing that you were not going to sell it to them and you were going to jack up the price and try to f*ck them?!” A guy came running over to me to try and shut me up, but I repeated the same thing at the top of my lungs until the sales manager walked over to me, introduced himself and asked me why I would do such a thing in front of all of his other customers. I then repeated at the top of my lungs exactly what he had just asked me, and then I gave him his answer, again very loudly so everybody could hear “You guys f*cked us today and wasted our day and my yesterday haggling and dealing until we had a sale, so the least I could do was let all of your other customers know that you’re about to f*ck them too.“ About a dozen people started clapping. One couple got up from a sales table and walked out. I gave my salesman the finger again right into his face and followed the nice couple out to the parking lot. #SorryNotSorry They deserved it.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I am always surprised at the lack of product knowledge of most RV sales people. Instead of milling around and looking at their digital devices, they might want to spend a little time actually looking over their products and reading at a minimum the information available to the general public on the website from the manufacturers. Not so most places and most of the time. I have concluded that most vehicle sales people - be it RVs or passenger vehicles - are not that bright and could really care less. Essentially, the ones I have encountered are between jobs or transient from one employment to another.

Now, the last time I encountered a knowledgeable dealer I bought the product because he could answer my questions, was courteous and made me a mutually acceptable deal.

I see nothing to be accomplished by shouting, screaming profanities and reducing yourself to the level of the moron that has wronged you.

The first clues of a poor experience are a business card with a penciled in phone number or written in name of the sales person. The walkout for me is when I am addressed as "Bud" or some similar familiarity. I'm out the door.

Before I go buy something, I have already determined what I want and I make sure I have more information than virtually anyone I will be dealing with has in their noodle. I know dimensions, carrying capacities, tank capacities, warranties and costs by doing research. I want to put the sales person in a secondary position and I want them to know I know more than they do.

I only will do business on an out the door price. If it is ten cents more at the closing table I walk. Instead of screaming, if I feel wrong, I file a report with the Better Business Bureau and the proper state authority, usually the office of consumer affairs of the state Attorney General. I simply take the emotion out of the transaction and treat it like any business transaction.

NOW, all that being said, I don't allow my formality to be stuffy and I don't let my procedure to keep me from enjoying the transaction and being courteous to ALL those I deal with in getting the purchase made. I just have bright lines and will not cross them. Price? I will certainly negotiate in good faith and if the other side is jacking me around I stand up, thank them and walk out. On the way out, I may ask to speak to the sales manager and tell him courteously why I can't do business with them.

A dozen years ago I encountered some really great pros in the RV business about 200 miles away from my home. I bought a new rig from them and we made the transaction happen by email (remember: a dozen years ago). Since that time, I have sent them a number of customers and they have made several sales. That is the way they built and maintain their business.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Which dealership???

Quote:

Please tell us....a big chain???
Old 08-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
I see nothing to be accomplished by shouting, screaming profanities and reducing yourself to the level of the moron that has wronged you.
Can't quarrel with your modus operandi because it's admittedly par for the course but in the final analysis, all it serves is yourself. I'll side with VocalVirgo who on the other hand went the extra mile with an explosive tirade that at least alerted other hapless customers that they were probably being played.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #14
Gold Member

For me, I just believe in the brands which can provide the good after-sale service, and also searched from the internet about the popularity of the brands before buying.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #15
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Please tell us....a big chain???
It was See Grins RV in Gilroy California.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Thank you for letting us know....

Quote:
It was See Grins RV in Gilroy California.

Thanks for sharing....
Old 08-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Default Good point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica998 View Post
For me, I just believe in the brands which can provide the good after-sale service, and also searched from the internet about the popularity of the brands before buying.
Monica, I agree with you 1,000 percent...

You can't trust an RV dealership to do the right thing.... however, you can lower your odds by choosing a manufacturer that has

1. Been in business for a long time.
2. Has developed a "niche" for honing their skills at building Class B's
3. Has a very good and long warranty..

Even if you purchase a used vehicle...the fact that the "new vehicles" come with a long and comprehensive warranty is a sign that the manufacturer stands behind their product.

Unfortunately, there's no certainty of anything ....and because RV's are complicated pieces of machinery with a lot of systems ..

Also...it helps to make sure you don't purchase a vehicle from such a small company that it becomes an "orphan"...... This is important not only for parts and the unique manufacturing but because of resale value..... listen.. while it may be one of the best coaches built hardly anyone will know the brand.....and when it comes time to SELL...you definitely want "name recognition".......

I found this out the hard way when I went to sell my very unique "teardrop trailer" ...all fiberglass composite ....no one had ever heard of this very small but super deluxe unit... really tough to sell...I was very surprised....

Stick to a name brand.... much easier.. you will be much better off and happier....
Old 08-23-2018, 03:26 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Wow! The story VocalVirgo tells is unbelievable! Did you buy from another dealer? If so, how were you treated there? FWIW, my original question was posed to people who've bought from dealers.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:06 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Default I purchased my RV from a local dealership

Quote:
Wow! The story VocalVirgo tells is unbelievable! Did you buy from another dealer? If so, how were you treated there? FWIW, my original question was posed to people who've bought from dealers.
We had a good experience purchasing our coach.....no pressure, fair price and they handled a couple.of small issues after the sale.....

It was a used vehicle and had a short warranty..but, I knew that going in and everything was on the table.......
Old 08-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #20
Gold Member

Quote:
We didn’t buy another coach. We saw that experience as a sign, and we kept what I had. And I’m glad I did. SportsmobileWest finally fixed all the things that were wrong with my top, so I built in the finishing touches and am now enjoying it very much– much more than I would be, had I sold & taken a huge hit on the sportsmobile and purchased the other van.