Old 04-16-2019, 02:57 AM   #11
Site Team

I agree with the above reasoning, as far as it goes. But feedback is only one problem. A much more fundamental one is that any such device, no matter how properly set up, will amplify the noise along with the signal. It is easy to get more bars. It is a lot harder to get a better signal-to-noise ratio, and THAT is what ultimately matters. MiMo can help with that. Signal amplifiers cannot.

People think these things work for three reasons:
1) They compare the performance inside their metal boxes with and without the boosters. They can indeed bring whatever signal exists into the van. This is the only sense in which the actually work. But, you can often do as well by going outside.
2) They look at # of bars, rather than S/N ratio.
3) Plain old placebo effects. Weak signals drift in and out, so it is easy to convince yourself that your expensive device has made a difference.

Believe me, I literally spent years and countless dollars on numerous generations of these products (all the way back to before they were fully-legal). I have used them both in vehicles and a vacation home. I know what I am doing. Once I started making proper measurements rather than relying on A/B tests of subjective performance, it became very clear how marginal they are, and why.

These products are not totally useless, but they are marginal at best. MiMo, on the other hand is a game changer.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:47 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Agree with avanti. I've worked in sound/electronics for over 40 years. Signals have a "noise floor." Less now with the depth of digital, but it's there. Amplify a weak signal and you also amplify the floor. Back in the tape days, that was the whole reason for Dolby and DBX noise reduction systems.

That said, I'm not familiar with the 2 systems being compared and can't attest to the functioning concept of either.

GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:19 AM   #13
Bronze Member

For those thinking of purchasing a WeBoost, I received a significant reduction in price from a promo code or link that was available via a YouTuber who reviewed the WeBoost. I think his name was RV WITH TITO. Some other YouTubers might have a discount link if the Tito guy doesn't have an active link anymore. I think I saved $50 or so. It was great!
MrMyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I have the WeBoost installed and could detect little if any difference in my cell phone signals.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote