Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 01:33 AM   #1

Default Went to see 2016 PW Plateau FL - couldn't recline passenger seat

Speaking as an IT Tech person, was it 'user error' when I couldn't recline or push the passenger seat back in the 2016 Pleasure Way Plateau FL? We call these errors a 'picnic' (problem in chair not in computer). hahaha

FYI, we viewed the coach at Beach Cities RV in Midway City, near Huntington Beach, Calif. They had 1 and boy, was it gorgeous, but this will be a sticking point for me. I am accustomed to doing the necessary work of primary passenger....reading, napping, talking on the phone, browsing the net, eating. I like to set up my little spot for comfort and I like to push my seat back for my legs a bit since I'm 5'9. And I like to recline a bit too. I could do neither of these. There was a 'wall' behind the seat. On closer inspection, it was the frame of the door entry. Later, my husband mentioned that maybe if I turn the seat a little first, that I can then clear the edge of the wall.

Does anyone who has a PW recline or push their seat back? If so, how do you do it?
Thank you for your replies.
JustFoolingAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I believe it was a pebkac error with the chair. There are demo videos of people reclining the chair.

See
and
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:49 AM   #3

Default Passenger seat in Plateau FL doesn't recline or push back

Thanks Bruceper for your reply and the videos.
I think that I wasn't clear about the reclining or pushing back of the chair.
I meant that it wasn't possible while facing forward. Your included videos showed the recline and the push back adjustment when the chair was turned to the back.
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue or had figured out a solution. DH and I love the design of the Plateau FL and TS but this is a serious design disadvantage. I investigated while trying to push the chair back. There is a wall there. It's the frame of the entry door where the handle is. If this is truly the only way that the seat can be used then it's a no-go for us, no matter how beautiful the rest of the coach is.

Since yours was the only reply Bruceper, I am thinking that it must not bother anyone else.
Thank you again for your response.
***if I misunderstood your reply, please correct me
Old 06-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Sorry but I don't know about forward facing. But others should chime in, give em some time.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You can't recline that passenger seat facing forward because of the built in jamb for the screen door if you have that. That is a trade off. Screen or recline. Same deal with our Advanced RV. Because of the curvature of the exterior wall the straight vertical screen sets inside to where a jamb as to be built to receive it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:20 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Do the seats on any Sprinter recline while facing forward?
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:58 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Wow didn't know that. That is an interesting trade off. Just like sailboats... Everything is a compromise. I need to get to Hershey this year to compare by actually sitting in them.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:38 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
Do the seats on any Sprinter recline while facing forward?
Yes - but you have to turn a knob to slowly change the angle of the seat back. It's a lot like the seat I had in my 1991 VW Passat. It seems to be a popular Greman design. I like seat backs that recline fully with the simple pull of a lever like my Toyota.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:10 AM   #9

Default The Roadtrek CS Adventurous passenger seat reclines...

We did go see the Roadtrek CS Adventurous after the Pleasureway Plateau and verified that the passenger seat DOES recline and push back...but the Roadtrek model we were in did not have a side-door screen (unlike the Pleasureway). As Davydd seemed to imply, perhaps having the screen or not was the determining factor, instead of the RV brand. I am thinking of calling those two manufacturer's 800 phone numbers and inquiring to confirm. I will post any information that I find out.

For me, I would trade the beautifully designed screen for a lessor flap-style one with magnets, and instead ride comfortably.

I find it quite surprising that I have not read much about this issue. I don't really think that I am that tall at 5'9", and yet I was seriously uncomfortable in the required straight-up position of the seats. My legs were also squished up very close to the dash as well. And that was just after 5 minutes. The I had to show my husband since he didn't believe me about not being able to push the chair back or to recline it.

I have read from Davydd's other posts that some drivers have cut out the closet behind the driver's seat to accommodate the necessary push back.

It seems you just can't have it all.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #10

Default Sliding side screen door in PW restrictions and trade-offs

Here's an update.

With the Phantom side door sliding screen installed, you can not push back or recline the passenger seat while facing forward due to the frame of the screen door. Also, you will lose part of the width and length of the Corian kitchen counter, as well as the drawer section, to the cut out for the screen door. The screen is a beautiful, high quality design. But I'm not sure that it is worth the trade-offs.

An as alternative, you can have the new for 2017, magnetic/zip style side door screen installed instead. It matches the roll-up one available for the back doors. You can see the screens in the 'What's new for 2017' video on Pleasure-Way Industries - Pleasure-Way Industries. I confirmed the availability for the Plateau models by calling their 800 number (since they didn't mention it in the video). Personally, I am thrilled for this alternative.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #11
Gold Member

Very useful discussion. Thanks for sharing. Yes, this makes the 2017 version much more interesting.
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I just watched the 2017 video for the Pleasure Way Ascent and it doesn't come with a spare tire anymore - just a tire repair kit. Not sure if that applies to other models but that would be a deal breaker for me. Compromises again I guess.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:36 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Their video explains that they don't believe that it's safe to lift a 7000 lb. vehicle and change the tire yourself. They include a fix-a-flat sealant kit, a compressor and a roadside assistance program that you can call. Their kit should be able to get you to a place where you can pull completely off the road (like a rest stop), and then their roadside assistance will then change the tire for you. The spare tire is something that you may never need. The lithium battery in its place you'll definitely need almost every time you camp. The battery needs to be inside or you'd need to worry about its temperature. It's a matter of priorities.

PW's position is likely to become more and more common. A lot of cars now only come with a bicycle-sized temporary spare tire and many highways don't have wide shoulders. Typically, these highways were originally built with wide shoulders, and then lanes were added, taking up the extra space. Unfortunately, the days that you can assume that you can safely pull over anywhere and change a tire are pretty much over.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #14
Platinum Member

If you really absolutely need to have a spare tire carrier, they're available from third parties. Here's one that available from the Sprinter store:
https://sprinterstore.com/product/si...-tire-carrier/

If you add one to your PleasureWay, the spare will be out in the cold like your other tires, while your battery will stay nice and warm.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Their video explains that they don't believe that it's safe to lift a 7000 lb. vehicle and change the tire yourself. They include a fix-a-flat sealant kit, a compressor and a roadside assistance program that you can call. Their kit should be able to get you to a place where you can pull completely off the road (like a rest stop), and then their roadside assistance will then change the tire for you. The spare tire is something that you may never need. The lithium battery in its place you'll definitely need almost every time you camp. The battery needs to be inside or you'd need to worry about its temperature. It's a matter of priorities.

PW's position is likely to become more and more common. A lot of cars now only come with a bicycle-sized temporary spare tire and many highways don't have wide shoulders. Typically, these highways were originally built with wide shoulders, and then lanes were added, taking up the extra space. Unfortunately, the days that you can assume that you can safely pull over anywhere and change a tire are pretty much over.

Completely disagree. There is no roadside assistance in many places I go. Changing a tire with a good jack is about a 10 minute simple and safe job. Deleting the spare tire to save cost and leaving it to up to me to figure out how to carry one is a deal breaker for me. That is a poor decision.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #16
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Their video explains that they don't believe that it's safe to lift a 7000 lb. vehicle and change the tire yourself. ....
I agree with you.

Most of the Class B RV are closer to 10,000 lb. It is not an easy job to jack up a vehicle that heavy. You definitely cannot do it without a solid surface; the jack will sink into the ground. Highway shoulder is not the place for amateurs.

If you are on a flat and level concrete pad, lifting a wheel 2 inches off the ground is not insurmountable (you are not lifting the whole vehicle). But that location is in an ideal scenario, you are not likely to happen upon it in an emergency.

I don't like those rattle can sealant either. I have seen people getting the glue all over the places except in the tire. It will also gunk up the inside of the tire, and sometimes render the tire unrepairable.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I haven't had a spare tire with my last two Class Bs. That's 109,000 miles worth of driving including going to Alaska and driving the On Top of the World unpaved, pot hole filled road for about 90 miles. I don't worry about it. If something happens, something happens, and I will just take it in stride. I know I can't even change one of those tires anymore.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I haven't driven as many miles as Davydd, but I haven't carried a spare since I sold my original GWV in 2007. I worried for a bit when I got my LTV Libero that came without a spare, but thought about the fact that I have been driving for over 53 years without ever needing a spare when traveling. (and I have driven LOTS of miles in many different cars, in many different countries, and 3 RVs). Of course, I am physically unable to change a flat anyway... that is what I have roadside assistance for.

A spare came with my RT, but it is in storage along with the tables, various cushions and pillows that I don't use.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #19
Platinum Member

For some people, changing a tire is fine. For the majority they would struggle with a car tire and jacking up a car safely. I support not providing a spare but they should have an option to purchase one.

Many roadside assistance plans will reimburse a member if they need a tow in an area where the assistance plan does not cover.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:31 AM   #20
Platinum Member

The PleasureWay is a really nice van that costs over $100,000. You may call me silly, but saying it's absolutely not acceptable because it doesn't have a $300 accessory seems illogical to me.