Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #121
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
I think it's time to be brutally honest. LTV should be crafting it's marketing toward the present and future and not the past.

The Wendlands are part of a declining demographic and they remind me of Pleasantville (the movie) and not in a good way. LTV better get their AX!@$ in gear and get with the program or they will wind up like Cadillac.

The Wendlands' shtick feels terribly dated and as others have said better than I, PC Mike is no tech guy in 2019 (maybe 1980).

While LTV appears to have demand, their formula has not changed much for over a decade. No 4-season capability, No Alde heat/water, No multi-pane windows, multiplex wiring?, no advanced battery technology

Almost everything described above is no longer 'out there RV high tech design' but current design.

LTV should have been courting the Russos and not the Wendlands as Ambassadors to advise them on what is next for those who want a modern Class B / B+. Their next generation Class B+ on the new Sprinter platforms needs to change the formula and adapt to current industry best standards and not just soft close cabinet doors and trick seating arrangements

LTV is being short-sighted.
If you look at the 50 year history of the company they have adapted to deal with lots of changes including a fire that destroyed the manufacturing plant and economic downturns. I think they will continue to adapt to produce a quality product that is in demand.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:20 PM   #122
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
LTV already has brand ambassadors for the younger set...
https://leisurevans.com/wonder-explores-canada/
Unfortunately this young couple have now sold their Class A and have settled into an apartment in Texas as they are expecting a baby. They plan to resume RVing after the birth.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #123
Gold Member

Would take a lot of $250 rebates to make a dent in the price of a Pleasure Way!!
Old 02-14-2019, 11:37 PM   #124
Platinum Member

The best thing to happen to the RV industry is the ability for a much younger demographic to work remotely. We did not have to wait till retirement to buy our first RV.

Our employers simply don't care where we work as long as we account for our time and deliver on our work assignments. This change introduces customers to the RV market with much different needs / expectations from prior generations.

I hope the Russos and Padgetts speak their voices to what we need in a modern RV for working RV owners and not primarily the semi/fully retired.

To attempt to replicate ones home in an RV IMO is a wasted opportunity to do more with much less.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #125
Gold Member

I guess Wendlend was promoting EcoTrek but now saying it is not ready yet, funny how that happens....
Old 02-15-2019, 12:26 AM   #126
Platinum Member

Quote:
The best thing to happen to the RV industry is the ability for a much younger demographic to work remotely. We did not have to wait till retirement to buy our first RV.

Our employers simply don't care where we work as long as we account for our time and deliver on our work assignments. This change introduces customers to the RV market with much different needs / expectations from prior generations.

I hope the Russos and Padgetts speak their voices to what we need in a modern RV for working RV owners and not primarily the semi/fully retired.

To attempt to replicate ones home in an RV IMO is a wasted opportunity to do more with much less.
You are always going to have problem with vehicle manufacturers not being able to keep up with the new technology that is on a fast development cycle versus the slower development cycles for vehicles. There needs to be a clear separation between the new technology and the vehicle critical electronics/software in order to insure safe and reliable operation of the vehicle. This was clear before the advent of the newer software platforms like Apple Car Play which are specifically designed to be used on vehicles. The most obvious case nowdays are the OEM entertainment/navigation systems which quickly become outdated when tied to a specific closed system from one of the car audio companies. Hard to keep them current with the latest stuff coming along from the tech companies.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:58 AM   #127
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"So... my opinion rather agrees with the Wendland's. I still don't think these systems are ready for prime time."

Mumkin, you do mean roadtrek, right? You're not including Pure 3 with ARV and the lastest Winnebago Pure 3's, and Zantrex whatever it is called.
Advanced RV not only has the Pure 3 Volta 48 (58.2) volt system using Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (NMC) batteries but also the Lithiumwerks Valence lithium manganese Phosphate (LiFeMgPo4) batteries and the Elite Power Solutions Calb lithium phosphate batteries (LiFePo4).

I had their first build of the 800ah LiFePo4 batteries in 2014 and they are still going strong. I never had a battery problem but early on their insulated box, supposedly waterproof, was sucking in moisture in a pressure differential and shorting out my batteries when it rained. It was temporary as it usually dried out fairly quickly but it was a pain and scary at first. They solved that problem with a nickel sized plug of Gortex.

They were the first Class B with the Volta system in a higher kWh configuration than Winnebago and along with their more efficient Houghton air conditioner they could overnight with air conditioning without needing their Autogen (a much more sophisticated Voltstart). ARV Autogen has been bullet proof for me though I tend to never need it.

The Valence batteries are their newest and they are putting them inside the van. The first installation was in a 144 WB van and Sue Valentine's 144 van has it. Valence batteries are almost like drop in batteries but when Advanced RV gets done with the configuration it is more complex than just dropping in. I'm contemplating 6 of these in a group 31 configuration of 138ah each for a total of 828ah. The advantage of the Valence batteries is they can withstand cold down to -40 F. whereas the other two systems have a -4 F. limit. It might not make much difference since they've solved the battery heat issue. All three battery systems have a limit of 32 F. for charging batteries, but that is not a problem with battery heaters.

The Elite Power Solutions and the Valence batteries are couple with a Delco alternator. They no longer use Nations. They both use the Xantrex 3012 Freedom 3000w pure sine wave inverter. Volta is a all in one system of power, inverter and alternator. There is no AGM battery to "goose" these systems as eluded to with Etreks. I don't think there is any proprietary technology. There is the Silverleaf controller that ties everything together. That is a big rig Class A system that is proven.

Yes, costly, but whether you plug in to shore power or not, the electrical systems behave identically and transparently and practically don't have to think about it nor where you want to stay even in -9 deg. F. conditions boondocking as we recently encountered. But more importantly it is proven right now despite what the Wendlands and LTV are now handing you. I could never go back to AGMs nor less than the 800ah system.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:04 AM   #128
Platinum Member

This thread is getting a little off track...

I will say that there are also lithium battery systems from the marine market that are being used for RV applications and these systems are pretty rugged and reliable and relatively easy to use but maybe only for someone who has some knowledge of how the system operates. Mastervolt supplies the system used in our RV but Victron is used more widely in RV applications.

The main issues I see for any lithium battery system in an LTV (or any other RVs marketed to the average RV owner) is clear value for the added cost, high reliability, and absolute ease of use by an owner has no interest in understanding anything more than what was needed to use the current electrical system in today’s RVs. All the details about temperature constraints, charging operation, battery cell monitoring, etc, etc, have to be completely handled without any involvement by the owner.

I don’t think we are there yet but we may be close except for the value for the cost at today’s prices...
Old 02-15-2019, 03:43 AM   #129
Platinum Member

I wonder if those small Class Cs like LTV can’t handle anymore weight than a couple AGMs. I haven’t looked into it as I will never be in that market. The action of high amp hour battery systems is mostly Class B vans and Class A from what I read.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:49 AM   #130
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I wonder if those small Class Cs like LTV can’t handle anymore weight than a couple AGMs. I haven’t looked into it as I will never be in that market. The action of high amp hour battery systems is mostly Class B vans and Class A from what I read.
Well, battery weight will go down with lithiums but there will be added weight from the rest of the new system components. I have seen mention of owners doing a lithium battery switch in their LTV’s over on the Sprinter forum but I forget the details.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:54 AM   #131
Platinum Member

How anyone really takes them seriously is beyond me. They come off as bad flea market salesman. If not RVs, theyd be selling candles or some new cleaning sponges. Dean must not want to keep going to shows and stuff anymore. Shame, hes perfect as the face of LTV.

LTV makes some of the best C's out there. But they are very quickly becoming dated. Still using 3 way fridges. People that say lithiums arent yet ready is just wrong. If you prefer AGMs for some money savings, fine, but dont sound dumb in the process. Is LTV even using AGMs or are they still having people check water levels? Even if so, I saw they were still using 12v batteries instead of dual 6v. Which anyone who spent any time looking into battery options knows is a bad idea, unless they are lithium.

Anyone with opinions that change with the wind or with whoever is paying them isnt worth listening to. Thats just used car salesmen nonsense.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:06 AM   #132
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"So... my opinion rather agrees with the Wendland's. I still don't think these systems are ready for prime time."

Mumkin, you do mean roadtrek, right? You're not including Pure 3 with ARV and the lastest Winnebago Pure 3's, and Zantrex whatever it is called.
Yes, I was referring to the same system that Wendland was referring to...

Quote:
Dean must not want to keep going to shows and stuff anymore. Shame, hes perfect as the face of LTV.
I don't see why his job will change. He is in the sales department and I suspect that he will keep doing their videos and going to the shows. Unless, of course, he is looking to retire, but he's too young for that as yet... I'd say.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #133
Platinum Member

Post on Mike’s Group...

We are Unity owners with rear twin bed unit for 3 years. Met you both in Phoenix about a year ago and bragged about all the room we had for our two big dogs. So glad you are promoting leisure travel. They are lucky to get you on board. Figure our used unity just went up in value about 10k.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #134
Platinum Member

Quote:
Post on Mike’s Group...

We are Unity owners with rear twin bed unit for 3 years. Met you both in Phoenix about a year ago and bragged about all the room we had for our two big dogs. So glad you are promoting leisure travel. They are lucky to get you on board. Figure our used unity just went up in value about 10k.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #135
Platinum Member

It's pretty funny reading some of the stuff over there......reminds me of the fable "The Emporer's New Clothes"

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #136
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Post on Mike’s Group...

Good lord, how naive can you be???

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #137
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Good lord, how naive can you be???

Probably shouldn't be surprised, I guess. We have all seen the extreme loyalty/support of the "fan people" on the Roadtrek sites also, and that doesn't make a lot of sense to many of us either.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #138
Platinum Member

I think the people who have not been on Mikes group don’t understand the fact that there is a large group of people who adore Mike, Jennifer, and Jim. As I have said before, the lovers are much more common than the people who don’t like them. If they are not to your liking it may hard to fathom it.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #139
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think the people who have not been on Mikes group don’t understand the fact that there is a large group of people who adore Mike, Jennifer, and Jim. As I have said before, the lovers are much more common than the people who don’t like them. If they are not to your liking it may hard to fathom it.
I think it comes down to different strokes for different folks

If there was a Have Lunch With....
A) Jim Hammill
B) Dean Corrigal (LTV)
C) Mike and Jen
D) James and Stefany (Fit RV)

I would look forward to having lunch with (B) Dean and (D) James/Stephany.

Interesting to see all the RV 'personalities' and how they get along/ not get along with one another (behind the scenes) when they are in the same space

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #140
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
I think it comes down to different strokes for different folks

If there was a Have Lunch With....
A) Jim Hammill
B) Dean Corrigal (LTV)
C) Mike and Jen
D) James and Stefany (Fit RV)

I would look forward to having lunch with (B) Dean and (D) James/Stephany.

Interesting to see all the RV 'personalities' and how they get along/ not get along with one another (behind the scenes) when they are in the same space

We've actually had lunch with James and Stefany, twice. She is a treat. Really nice and cordial, interested in your happenings and of course class B's. He is reserved and quiet, always has those wheels turning in his head thinking about his next van mod, or house mod.
All in all a very enjoyable couple obviously very much into each other. One of those couples made for each other
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote