Old 03-02-2018, 01:33 AM   #11
BBQ
Platinum Member

Yup... the grass is greener syndrome.

ps. I hate those motorized sofa-beds. IMHO They are not comfortable to seat on and not comfortable to sleep in. But why is every manufacturer offering them?

The answer is simple -- people want them. Money talks.

Who am I to judge?

Old 03-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Yup... the grass is greener syndrome.

ps. I hate those motorized sofa-beds. IMHO They are not comfortable to seat on and not comfortable to sleep in. But why is every manufacturer offering them?

The answer is simple -- people want them. Money talks.

Who am I to judge?

I designed my own motorized beds to answer both comfort and sleeping complaints.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
Platinum Member

The liberal use of cassette toilets wouldn't go well here, not enough capacity.
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Why are the manufacturers making them the way they do? Easy. They are selling them darn near as fast as they can build them.

I can hardly blame them for sticking to what is selling. If you read forums and facebook pages, all you get is individuals complaining because the manufacturers don't supply their particular desires... which varies in such a way that you can't blame the companies for throwing up their hands and just continuing to make what sells.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfturner View Post
The liberal use of cassette toilets wouldn't go well here, not enough capacity.

Are you implying something here?
Old 03-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Why are the major class-B manufactures so out of touch and behind in U.S. market?

The RV market is shipping dated crap because it is a dated crappy industry. There are glimmers of innovation, from roadtrek and Winnebago and ARV, but they misfire because they donít understand the new market.

The existing market is ďbuild something the wife canít object to that the customer can drive off the lot today.Ē Which is travel trailers with ovens (cause she thinks she will bake a cake) hooked up to his big old American pickup truck.

But the new market is all over Instagram and YouTube tagging things #VanLife ó and DIYing vans that a decent manufacturer could replicate for $15k over the chassis cost if they wanted to.

But the industry hasnít been disrupted yet. The industry is still acting like itís the 1970s. They are trying, they are just clueless.

When they get disrupted it will be someone building something like a New Westfalia, and selling direct to consumer online.

They will tap into #VanLife.... and then get bought by Thor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #17
Silver Member

All interesting thoughts!

John
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Haha, I didn't think about how that sounds, LOL.

Nah I was just thinking of how much longer I can stay in the woods with a 20 gallon black tank than the old pop up we rented with a five gallon cassette. I think it goes back to the discussion of how you camp, if you are always in a developed campground maybe capacity doesn't matter as much.
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomadness View Post
................................and DIYing vans that a decent manufacturer could replicate for $15k over the chassis cost if they wanted to.
But the industry hasnít been disrupted yet. The industry is still acting like itís the 1970s. They are trying, they are just clueless.
When they get disrupted it will be someone building something like a New Westfalia, and selling direct to consumer online.
They will tap into #VanLife.... and then get bought by Thor.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine was more but with top notch equipment and built like a tank, overengineered everywhere. Based on a video of complete conversion made in LA (Canít find it, it was on the Sprinter Forum) it takes 30% of a conversion time to trim in a mom and pop shop, automotive design approach could reduce it dramatically. Thin ply with foam and vinyl is still prevailing in RV industry.

I wish that staple guns would vanish from converters hands, just a wishful thinking.
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #20
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyLee View Post
It's all about the Benjamins at this point. The vast majority of rigs are still being purchased by boomers. As the gen exers and millennials start increasing their purchasing power, the old "fake wood" look will start to take a back seat. The Aktiv, and Revel are just glimpses of whats to come. Curiously, they both have that half bench/love seat thing that looks better in pics than it does in real life. Or should I say, not comfortable /usable. But I digress.

I think youre on to something with that Revel. I think we will start to see similar rigs from the other companies. I'm just hoping there's more than the 21 gallon fresh water capacity that Winnebago has been pushing on us lately. But once again, I digress.
I sat in the Revel bench/love seat and it's OK for one - too tight for two. It is a little too upright (i.e. church pew like) and that would be an easy fix for Winnebago. Make the cushion more inclined and relaxing but then you'd lose the option for the one person bed up front. A trade-off I'd make but others might not.

teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, agile, grand canyon, revel, travato