Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 07:03 AM   #261
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
As I showed in my posting, the resonator does not reduce the noise level. It simply changes the tone to be a bit less annoying. It's still hella loud.

If you decide to install the resonator, you'll need to cut your generator tailpipe, weld the resonator in and probably re-jigger the supporting hanger.

Part of the discussion in that earlier thread was that some noticed the generator was quieter over grass than it was over asphalt. Some also carried a square of carpet to lay on the ground under the exhaust pipe and that helped some in reducing the tone of the sound.
I wonder why this guy got different results? His comment is on Amazon.

"I had a local exhaust shop install this for me on my 2014 Winnebago Trend 23B. The installation was only $20 and took them 15 minutes tops...just cut a section of the pipe out, inserted the resonator in its place, and secured it with rivets and muffler cement. The difference it makes is amazing! I used an SPL meter before and after and while there was a 2db reduction on the inside, there was a 9db reduction on the outside...that is HUGE! In addition to being quieter, it's "tone" is reduced to a much more unobtrusive level. For those familiar with RVs, this made our 2800 Onan sound exactly like the 5000 that was in our larger class A Brave which is a very good thing. Highly highly recommended to anyone with a 2800!"
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #262
Platinum Member

Don't know. Maybe it's where he measured.

I measured from standing 10 feet away.

But I'll tell you this - the majority of the sound, is not from the exhaust pipe. There is alot of sound coming from the cooling fan - I'd say that is alot more racket and a bigger portion of the noise.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #263
Platinum Member

The resonator might give you some quiet and piece of mind but it will not change when and where you can run your generator.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #264
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k

No..the 2 singles ..one on each side..the Coach House Arrival is beautiful but not open like the Travato 59k
Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #265
Platinum Member

Love the open feel of the 59K, but I have two concerns/questions. Has anyone devised a way to convert the twins into one large bed? The gray tank also seems too small.
Thanks,
Alex
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:14 AM   #266
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
Love the open feel of the 59K, but I have two concerns/questions. Has anyone devised a way to convert the twins into one large bed? The gray tank also seems too small.
Thanks,
Alex
We take possession Tuesday. We'll get back to you on converting the twin beds. Yeah, grey tank does seem small.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:14 AM   #267
Platinum Member

I just don't understand. Why does anyone want take 2 comfortable beds that you can get in and out of quite easily and turn it into one big bed you have to crawl in and out of ? Go see a 59k in person before you make that decision. There are other floorplans with bigger beds on other rigs.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:00 AM   #268
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
I just don't understand. Why does anyone want take 2 comfortable beds that you can just get up and out of quite easily and turn it into one big bed you have to crawl out off? Go see a 59k in person before you make that decision. There are other floorplans with bigger beds on other rigs.
Spooning. Crawling out of a bed is the least of our concerns.

Already saw it and bought it.

Don't need bigger beds, need windows on both sides. We only considered the Travato 59K because of the bike and kayak racks, as well as the open feel.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:05 PM   #269
Platinum Member

Crab crawling out of an electric sofa bed for 9 years finally got to me. No mas.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #270
Platinum Member

You probably could figure away how to do it, but how to you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night?
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:20 PM   #271
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
You probably could figure away how to do it, but how to you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night?
Try getting out of the poptop bed in a VW Eurovan Camper in the middle of the night (and not waking your wife next to you)! You guys in the "bigger" Class B's have it easy. Who needs yoga.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:30 PM   #272
Platinum Member

You crawl over to get to the bathroom. I don't see the problem.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:52 PM   #273
Platinum Member

Crawling in any manner is rather stupid and clumsy. I don't crawl out the end of my bed at home so why should I continue to do so on the road? Actually, what made me finally decide to seek an alternative bed in our B is one night I got a little too ambitious in pushing my body forward off my arms and shoulders and I slightly hyperextended my shoulders. Both hurt for a few weeks. I decided right there and then that crawling was a young man's game.

At home my bed is 29" high. I get in by sitting on the edge hardly bending my knees and let my upper body drop to the pillow which lifts and swings my legs like a lever right into bed. Getting up, the opposite. I swing my legs over and weight transfer levering has me standing upright again with hardly a bent knee. That's how I designed my articulating beds with a notch walkway between. I can do it blindfolded because the end of the notch gauges exactly where I need to be to sit, lever and swing in and out. The added benefits are the beds are high enough I can see out my windows without hardly lifting my head off my pillow and I have full head, back and leg individual articulation to put my bed in reading, tv watching, relaxing, lazy-boy, zero-gravity, leg lift and just about anything else might want to desire independently from my wife's side. This is no longer weekend roughing it. This is for long haul on the road comfort in a tiny space like a B. Just full neck and head support in relaxing that you cannot get in a standard twin bed/dinette with bolster backs or even electric sofa bed combinations is a big plus. I didn't ask for the back and leg vibrating system but it came with the deal.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:07 PM   #274
Platinum Member

Check at your local airport's pilot supply store or Sporty's online for a "Little John".

No need to get out of bed!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #275
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
Check at your local airport's pilot supply store or Sporty's online for a "Little John".
Or a "Lady J" adapter for the ladies.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:04 PM   #276

Default Crazy mod idea for shower drain

OK- Here's an interesting (and possibly controversial) question for all you Travato G owners. Hating the fact I have to pump the shower water into the Grey tank and ensure I clean the filters so not to blow the pump fuse, anyone think about a mod to let the shower water drain under the van onto the ground?

Since I take very short low water volume showers and never camp in a campground, and that it's only grey water with environmentally friendly soap anyway, what's the harm of just letting in drain onto the ground? No pump to deal with and save the grey tank for the sink water.

OK- let me have it!
joefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:40 PM   #277
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefish View Post
OK- let me have it!
Let me take a shot.

I think most of the responses will say "It seems that depending on the state/municipality it - is/may be/probably is/should be - illegal and/or is not environmentally friendly" (even with biodegradable soaps).

Have I seen people tent camp and dump their dishwater on the ground. Yes. Have I seen people just open the grey water valve on their RV and dump. Yes. That does not make it right.

Personally, I think regardless of any applicable laws or regulations, it is NOT a "best practice". Somewhere I read a very simple rule - "if you will drink it, then you can dump it." That's the rule I follow.

my 2 cents
Old 07-31-2015, 09:41 PM   #278
Platinum Member

Most RV's come with an outside shower so I'd say that a distinction could be made re: all grey water and only shower water.

I camped next to a Class A in a tight campground with no sewer hookups. The campground gave them permission to dig a hole on their site large enough to temporarily bury an inverted 5 gallon bucket to hookup to and let grey water drain.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:42 PM   #279
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefish View Post
Hating the fact I have to pump the shower water into the Grey tank and ensure I clean the filters so not to blow the pump fuse"
This is actually one of the "features" that has me considering just building my own camper.. sometimes "conveniences" are so inconvenient they seem a bit ridiculous. Tiny little black tanks don't make much sense to me either, when there are such nice cassette toilets around.. 2 T.V.s in a 20 foot house seem a little over the top to me too, but that's just me, I digress.

Anyway, yes, I have considered this. There is also always the possibilty to hook some sort of hose to direct gray water to where you want it, or simply slide a tub under the camper if you didn't want liquids pouring right onto the ground. I suppose it all depends on the type and location of camping you are doing..

...and yes, apparently it is controversial..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:45 PM   #280
Platinum Member

The rules do seem to vary a whole lot. We have been in campgrounds that had signs saying no grey water on the ground, and even some that had specific signs about catching the water from outside showers.

But of course, there are always a lot of folks that don't believe in rules. It amazes me how many will be washing dishes in the bathroom sink, right under the sign that says not to.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote