Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #221
Platinum Member

What's your thought on the 59K layout now that you have had it awhile. Are the front seats fairly easy to use?

Is Winnebago going to fix the windows and screens?
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 PM   #222
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k

Swivel is fine..Wife can't grab recline handle..it's too low on the side..when she reaches down to grab it the back of the chair keeps hitting her. Seats very comfortable, similar to our Jeep seats. The tracking for the screen comes off once in a while..might see if dealer can do anything about it.If we bring it back for warranty on windows and screens who knows when we'll get it back??
Old 07-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #223

Default Kayak rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Thanks. I did notice that and am waiting for them to post something. In the mean time, I was just curious if anyone here had tried. If you look at the Fiamma brochure, they show several Ducatos with kayaks on them but they don't even mention the rack. Bike rack yes, kayak rack no.
My fiancée and I have lots of experience with mounting kayaks on our Travato's Fiamma rack. Through trial and error we've figured out a relatively simple way to do it. Our kayaks, btw, are 11 foot flat water boats.

First, we tie ropes to the bow and stern of the kayak. I then lift the kayak and lean it against the railing at the rear of the vehicle, keel down. I protected the rear railing by removing it, putting it inside a piece of black PVC, then remounting the rail.

I push the boat up while she (standing at the front of the van) pulls the rope. We then place a ladder (yes, a folding ladder is necessary for this method-- we protect the van by placing foam bumpers on the ladder) on the side of the vehicle, climb up there and flip the kayak over. It is a good idea to pre-place the straps-- if you do this it is easy to strap it in. Taking the boats down is just the reverse-- unstrap, flip the boat on its keel, get one person on a rope at the front of the vehicle to guide it down, and the other person pulling the kayak gently down to the ground at the rear of the van.

Sorry if this description is a bit muddled-- we plan to shoot a demo video at some point, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #224
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian View Post
Sorry if this description is a bit muddled-- we plan to shoot a demo video at some point, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
No, the description is not muddled, but as they say, a picture is worth...and a movie would be even better. I like your idea.

The best I've come up with, and I haven't tried it yet, would entail two telescoping extension ladders and my wife and I synchronizing our ascent while holding the bow and stern handles. I hate the idea of leaning a ladder against the van on the driver's side but telescoping A-frame type ladders are too bulky.

Thanks for checking in and welcome to the forum.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
No, the description is not muddled, but as they say, a picture is worth...and a movie would be even better. I like your idea.

The best I've come up with, and I haven't tried it yet, would entail two telescoping extension ladders and my wife and I synchronizing our ascent while holding the bow and stern handles. I hate the idea of leaning a ladder against the van on the driver's side but telescoping A-frame type ladders are too bulky.

Thanks for checking in and welcome to the forum.

Eric
Eric, the dual ladders might work well... we'll probably try it. The only downside I can see is carrying two ladders in addition to the built-in one. But those telescoping ladders are pretty sweet and fold up not much bigger than a step ladder.

Love your rig's name-- sounds like the movie "Porco Rosso". Our Flame Red just happened to randomly get the license plate number "666", so we are probably going with "El Diablo".

--Bruce
Old 07-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #226
Platinum Member

I have a collapsible aluminum ladder I could carry.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

I thought a good solution might be to just set the ladder in the middle of the van and carry the boat up and put it in the saddles. But that boat only weighs 25 lbs.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #227
Platinum Member

Yeah, those ladders are sweet and HD sells 'em for about $130 each. I figure I could carry both of them on a rack on the back ladder and hopefully not look too "Beverly Hillbilly"ish.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #228
Platinum Member

Quote:
... Our Flame Red just happened to randomly get the license plate number "666", so we are probably going with "El Diablo".

--Bruce
Perfect.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #229
Bronze Member

I'll be driving from Ca to Iowa to pick up my new 2016 59g. I was wondering what would be some of the accessories I would need to hit the road running. I know I can get stuff from the dealer store, but at dealer prices. I know a water filter and regulator, power surge protector are essential. I will also get a 25' or 50' extension cord. And of course all the wares for cooking, sleeping, sitting and grooming. Any other items I may need that is not included at delivery. This will be my first rv, so definitely I am a novice! Thanks all!
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #230
Platinum Member

Most RV places will give you a starter kit. It'll have stuff like a pressure regulator, TP, Black tank chemicals, simple stuff. The RV comes with a water filter and a dump hose. I don't think you'll ever need a 50' extension cord and I'm not sure where you'd put it. It's a small RV.

Don't go crazy buying everything. Get a pad of paper and a pencil and write down things you need as the need arises. You probably own everything you need for cooking, sleeping and grooming but you won't know what works well until you try it.

Enjoy,
Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #231

That might work for such a light.boat. Ours are considerably heavier and pretty ungainly at 11 feet long. By the way, Wincrasher we learned a lot from your blog and videos, and that was really invaluable in choosing what to buy... much appreciated!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #232
Platinum Member

Longer cords in Canada, for sure, where they use common posts a lot. We have used 100' of cord there. We carry lighter 12ga extension cords (two 25' one 50') for when we need to extend so they are manageable and make sure we don't overload them.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:32 PM   #233
Platinum Member

Check out my blog for a bunch of ideas for collapsible kitchen items.

In most cases, your power cord will be long enough. But you should get adapters for it to have on hand - one to plug into a standard 15 amp outlet - one to plug into a 50 amp outlet (some call this thing a dog-bone).

I carry a coil hose for water connection. They are tough and don't kink.

You'll want to mount a paper towel holder.

Get some of that rubbery shelf paper. It will keep the rattles down. You can also put it between items like your pots and pans.

Get a flashlight to keep in the van. Also put together a compact tool kit - I went to Lowes and bought a small fabric toolbag and populated it with some items like a screwdriver with multiple heads, a wrench set, some wire clipers, pliers, various tapes, etc.

Get a compact first aid kit - you never know when you'll need it. Also, bug repellent and sun screen to keep in the van. A variety of toiletries to keep in there too. And don't forget your RV specific toilet paper - don't put regular paper down there or you'll be sorry later.

There are many, many things you'll need. I keep my van stocked and ready to go - food and fuel is all that is needed to hit the road.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #234
Platinum Member

Quote:
That might work for such a light.boat. Ours are considerably heavier and pretty ungainly at 11 feet long. By the way, Wincrasher we learned a lot from your blog and videos, and that was really invaluable in choosing what to buy... much appreciated!
You are quite welcome!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #235
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKatfish View Post
I'll be driving from Ca to Iowa to pick up my new 2016 59g. I was wondering what would be some of the accessories I would need to hit the road running. I know I can get stuff from the dealer store, but at dealer prices. I know a water filter and regulator, power surge protector are essential. I will also get a 25' or 50' extension cord. And of course all the wares for cooking, sleeping, sitting and grooming. Any other items I may need that is not included at delivery. This will be my first rv, so definitely I am a novice! Thanks all!
Go down to, or stop by Mason City when you get there (about 18-20 miles from Forest City), there's a Super WalMart there, easy access off I35. There you can pick up most of what you will need to get going. Don't buy a whole lot of "stuff" right now because you'll find out you won't need most of it as time goes by.
Plan on spending 2 or 3 days in the area to check out ALL the systems in your new RV. You can stay right there on Lichtsinn's lot with electric and water. City dump stations, and water, just down the street toward the main Winnebago plant.Take a tour of the Winnebago plant while you are there.

I have always filtered all water that goes into our RV's. Helps save problems with your water pump later on, among other things. I get the blue Camco round filters from either WalMart or Amazon. Only buy quality extension cord(s). Camco makes a nice one that's 25' long, again available at WM or Amazon. Water pressure regulator is a definite buy, as is a surge supressor, but don't spend big bucks, like over a couple hundred for one.
Wincrasher suggests getting 30 to 15 amp and 30 to 50 amp converters. Good idea. You'll need them eventually.
Definitely don't overdue the cooking/kitchen stuff. May never use much of it.

You'll figure out what you need as time goes by......

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:06 AM   #236
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKatfish View Post
You will need a tool kit.

Option 1: Go to Lowes or HD, buy box wrench set, allen wrench set, wire cutters, pliers, various tapes, metal snips, big adjustable pliers, etc. Be ready to fix anything. Spend $$$

Option 2: Spend time with your RV, look at all the various connections and figure out which tools and which sizes you need. Distinguish between fixing the RV and ProMaster (you might want to concentrate on the RV and leave the Promaster to the dealer) If all the bolt connections are metric and only 3 sizes, buy those tools. Now that may be simplifying a bit, but you get the idea. Buy the "right" tools for your RV, not every tool. Spend $, not $$$.

You will need an emergency kit (for breakdowns)

Flashers, flares, flashlights, triangles. Middle of the night, changing the flat or figuring out what went "bump". Be safe.

You will need a first-aid kit

Keep it simple - first aid cream, bandaids (using those tools ;~), antiseptic, etc. You can put together your own, or go to REI or a camping store and get a basic one. Medical Kits - Adventure® Medical Kits - First Aid Kits and Survival Gear carry many types; well respected in the sailing community.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #237
Bronze Member

Thanks. Good to know since I plan to spend time up north there, maybe Banff and Jasper.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:01 AM   #238
Bronze Member

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Will definitely spend few days around Iowa. Are there many sites which have only 50amp hook ups?
Old 07-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #239
Platinum Member

No. But that could be the only site available if you show up without reservation. Or you can use it to share a site with someone - one on the 30 amp, one on the 50.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #240
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Or the 30amp plug is miswired or out of service. That's happened to us before. In fact, we've run into a pedestal that only had the 50amp working. The other 2 breakers we're broke, or none at all.

Just keep in mind, anything below 30 amps, you can't run the AC and microwave simultaneously. Don't know about the Truma unit. You can run the AC on a 20, or even a 15 in a pinch, but not recommended

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote