Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
g1g
Platinum Member

Default winter / salt

Does anyone have concern about driving the B in the winter about salt on the roads and spraying the bottom?
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1g
Does anyone have concern about driving the B in the winter about salt on the roads and spraying the bottom?
IMO everyone should have concerns. There are lots of parts under the van that are not corrosion proof, and can't be easily. I think salt would significantly shorten the useful life of the B, and significantly increase maintenance costs. Many of the complaints of salt damage that I have seen have been from later owners, who had to deal with the damage done before they got the B. Now, if I had enough money to get a new one every few years, that might be OK , otherwise B's are just to expensive to shorten their life, if you can help it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: winter

Yes. I try to avoid it.
My 15 yr old van is pretty much rust free because of three reasons: not much use (44,000 miles), garage kept & rust prevention coating.

The original owner of my van had Krown Rust Control applied and I continue that practice with Rust Check (Krown not available near me).

Rust Check and Krown are thin oils that are sprayed on underneath and in door panels etc. They continue to spread for months after they've been applied. The oils displace water and form a protective barrier. They are messy at first because the excess oil will drip on your garage floor or driveway. And, it is messy when you work on the vehicle because everything is coated in the oil. However, the parts look new under the oil.

I get the car done annually at a shop and I use the spray cans of Rust Check for touch ups and when I put on the winter rims/tires, rotate the wheels etc. If I install something on the van like a hitch I coat the areas & parts involved before and after the job. I didn't have the van done this year because I checked underneath in the Fall and everything is well still well coated in oil.

I think the thinner spreading oils work better in this climate; near the ocean and salt on the roads in winter. I've had cars with thicker, tar like rust stuff that did not prevent rust. Around here, it is the first thing I'd get done on a new vehicle.

Without hesitation, I'd recommend Rust Check or Krown to prevent or at slow down rust.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote