Platinum Member

Default Zion dual dump system

video of zions dual dump is on youtube

[youtube:fwrbkqbe]swRXxnHDMBA[/youtube:fwrbkqbe]

gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Zion dual dump system

That is exactly the system that I had always said that manufacturers should build in, as it would work great, be less messy, and not cost much more than adding a valve and cap. I don't know why it has taken so long to do. It is essentially the same as the one I built for our 190 Chevy, except they don't have to go all the way across the van with it, so it gets a lot easier and has a lot less plumbing.

Where do they store the slinky, if one comes with it. Nice to see they wised up and went to a Sanicon hose so they can have the small box for it. No valve on it, though, which is a bummer.

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
That is exactly the system that I had always said that manufacturers should build in, as it would work great, be less messy, and not cost much more than adding a valve and cap. I don't know why it has taken so long to do. It is essentially the same as the one I built for our 190 Chevy, except they don't have to go all the way across the van with it, so it gets a lot easy and has a lot less plumbing.

Where do they store the slinky, if one comes with it.

Booster-i don't know yet. i am gong to replace the termination cap with one that has a hose connection and use that to dump just gray water using one of those stretch hoses you see on tv. if roadtrek does not give you a dump hose carrier( i don't know) i may just carry a 5 foot one for emergencies or not at all. i think most of us who desired this dual dump wanted it for emergencies(macerator not working) i may wait for an emergency then buy(or try to borrow ) one.

this is the hose bayonet

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N ... UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I just went back through the videos and there was no mention of dual dump in them that I saw. It is currently listed in the Features section of the Roadtrek site, but I don't remember seeing it there before, but could have missed it. At the Minneapolis show, we talked to them about dumping and failures of pumps, and they didn't say anything about the Zion system, and the prototype had that side closed up tight. Was that always the way it was, or did they decide to do it near the end of the prototyping, which is what I think may have happened with the forward facing couch option. Whatever the way it wound up on the Zion, I think it should be considered a huge plus over the competition, everyone seems to be very concerned about pump failures, and this totally removes the issue.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
I just went back through the videos and there was no mention of dual dump in them that I saw. It is currently listed in the Features section of the Roadtrek site, but I don't remember seeing it there before, but could have missed it. At the Minneapolis show, we talked to them about dumping and failures of pumps, and they didn't say anything about the Zion system, and the prototype had that side closed up tight. Was that always the way it was, or did they decide to do it near the end of the prototyping, which is what I think may have happened with the forward facing couch option. Whatever the way it wound up on the Zion, I think it should be considered a huge plus over the competition, everyone seems to be very concerned about pump failures, and this totally removes the issue.

booster- although it's not been on prior videos it has been on all printed material i have seen on the zion going back to december.
yesterday on the roadtrekking facebook page i asked jim hammill if it was a misprint or if it was actually dual dump. he obliged with this video today.

why they did it-i can't answer cause i don't know
Old 03-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The dual dump system on the Roadtrek Zion is a good idea. They might figure out how to do it on other models too.

Hard to tell how hidden it will all be when looking at it from a normal viewing angle. Hopefully there's some space somewhere for a 3" traditional hose and fittings.

Only 1 valve shown on the gravity dump part so there must be more to the system than shown if there are two waste tanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zion Macerator 1.jpg (111.9 KB, 710 views)
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I see the other two valves now. More like a "cleaner" clean out type system using the extra valve instead of a threaded plug.

It's a useful feature for sure
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
Old 03-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
Platinum Member

When I brightened up the video, it looked like the black and grey valves are on each side of the gravity dump, which makes sense. Nice that there is very little volume after the gravity valve to the cover to keep clean. The pump must go out the back of gravity dump area and enter at the top of the box for the hose.

ooops-typing slower than Marko on this.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I wonder if they could put a red or some other color handle on that extra Valterra valve. And a sticker "Gravity Dump Handle Only" on the flat body of the valve.

Black tank - black valve
Gray tank - gray valve
Old 03-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Like this