Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Quick Dry Towels

Any recommendations for compact, quick drying towels in bath or beach towel sizes?
Adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

For what little it's worth, I have three different brands (Fox Outfitters, Packtowl, and Shandali) and I don't like any of them. They tend to have high friction on the skin and are a pain to dry with. I don't find them to be particularly absorbent either.

That being said, I also don't know what I'd replace them with. They are all several years old - perhaps the tech has improved since then, I don't know.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yep, the microfiber towels are like velcro for the skin. Lots of drag, so you need to pat dry. Works OK once you get used to it. They do dry quickly as long as you can get some air over them, with a breeze or a fan (which we use and dries a towel in about 20 minutes). Normal cotton bath towels take hours to dry, so you just put up with the downside of the microfiber ones.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:17 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Can’t say you didn’t give them a good dry!
Old 09-17-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
Bronze Member

If budget is no object, the Aquis Waffle Weave towels ($2 were recommended on another site, they aren’t cheap!
https://www.amazon.com/Aquis-Waffle-...%2Bx%2B39&th=1

Budget IS an object for me so I’m ordering two of these Active Roots combo packs for $18, bath towels for the Mister and me, a small towel for the dog, and one for dishes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #6
Platinum Member

There are "waffle weave microfiber" towels for car cleaning as well. I wonder is it a similar product at a fraction of the price of camping towels? I'll pay attention the next time I'm in AutoZone.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #7
Site Team

I have seen instructions on those quick-dry camp towels to the effect that they need to be laundered several times before first use in order to prepare them for use. This could help explain the sandpaper effect. The same is true of those cheap synthetic blankets.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I have seen instructions on those quick-dry camp towels to the effect that they need to be laundered several times before first use in order to prepare them for use. This could help explain the sandpaper effect. The same is true of those cheap synthetic blankets.

We have washed ours a lot of times, and they haven't noticeably changed in feel, absorption, or drying ability, so I don't think there is a big gain from washing the first few times. Of course ours may have been "prewashed" as some other towels and sheets are.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:01 AM   #9
Platinum Member

If you want to stick with cotton, cruise thrift stores. Thick plush towels were not always the norm. Better still, towels thin with age. An old thin towel can still be more satisfying than microfiber, yet dry relatively quickly.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:16 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Has any one tried bamboo towels?
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #11
Bronze Member

I have used many varieties of microfiber towels and cloths and actually prefer cotton. The Aquis brand was no better than the less expensive ones. We use cotton now both for bathing and kitchen use. The less expensive thin terry dries faster than plush terry. We found some oversized hand towels that are good for after showering and take less space on our towel bars and less storage space.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfturner View Post
Has any one tried bamboo towels?
Not towels, but clothing. Avoid!! Or at least read the label. Most of it is actually not "bamboo". It's a little bit of bamboo mixed with a ton of polyester which pills really badly after a few washings, to the point where the items become uncomfortable to wear.

And I bought from a "bamboo-only" retailer, who supposedly had the "best" bamboo (they said). I'm so glad I didn't get sucked into buying expensive faux-bamboo sheets.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
If you want to stick with cotton, cruise thrift stores. Thick plush towels were not always the norm. Better still, towels thin with age. An old thin towel can still be more satisfying than microfiber, yet dry relatively quickly.
+1.

Or Walmart sometimes has really cheap thin cotton towels. Those are the only ones I will bring to my gym because I don't want to be carrying weight or bulk. I have about a half dozen. Seeking this type out, I end up with the thin 100% cotton without the ugliness of age that would characterize a worn towel.

I wonder if any of those "dollar" type stores would ever have anything along those lines? The cheaper the better for this application.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
+1.

Or Walmart sometimes has really cheap thin cotton towels. Those are the only ones I will bring to my gym because I don't want to be carrying weight or bulk. I have about a half dozen. Seeking this type out, I end up with the thin 100% cotton without the ugliness of age that would characterize a worn towel.

I wonder if any of those "dollar" type stores would ever have anything along those lines? The cheaper the better for this application.

I don't know if they are available elsewhere, but here Fleet Farm (kind of cross between farm, outdoor, home center) sells what they call "flour sack towels". They are very thin cotton towels and in this case more like a dishtowel type size. Very absorbent and dry quickly, but don't hold a whole lot of water like microfiber or thick cotton. We use them for drying our glasses (spectacles) after cleaning them. They were quite inexpensive the last time we bought a bundle of them.

on edit--it looks like lots of places sell them in various sizes
Old 09-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Our Walmart also sells inexpensive, lightweight, cotton towels that would be quick drying.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I've been experimenting with Turkish towels or peshtemal. They're made from cotton, dry quickly and fold or roll up small and are lightweight. They're thin so it's a different feel. They're huge, so far I like them, I'm taking them on my next trip.

They have washing instructions, warm water, low temperature for the dryer and no fabric softener. I take them out of the dryer slightly damp.

Real bamboo towels are expensive and heavy but they don't mildew. You can have to use low temperature drying them too. I won't use them for the rv and I do have some.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #17
Platinum Member

I, too, use the flour sack towels in the kitchen. They are sometimes called barkeeper's towels. Walmart has them, often in packages of 3 because they are so cheap.

Lennie, thanks for the tip on the Turkish option. I ordered one on Amazon Prime for $13 to try it.

Related tip: Choose a dark color and you might get faster sun drying times, even in colder weather.

The Turkish towel would solve the ancillary issue I have with respect to walking back out of my forested boondocking shower with nothing on. The smaller microfiber towels don't cover the entire assortment of private bits on the female body. There's always the chance that someone has dropped by for a visit while I've been in the woods showering, in which case they are going to get more of a greeting than they bargained for.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #18
Bronze Member

<<...There's always the chance that someone has dropped by for a visit while I've been in the woods showering, in which case they are going to get more of a greeting than they bargained for.>>

Old 09-24-2018, 02:14 AM   #19

I use the PackTowl Ultralights for my long distance walking adventures. Someone told me before I bought them to buy them well in advance and every single time I do a load of wash, to throw them in with the rest of the clothes. I did, now they are buttery soft, dry me fantastic and dry quick for throwing back into my backpack.
GreatDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I'm curious to hear what you think about the Turkish towel. I'm sure it will cover all your feminine bits you want covered. They get softer the more you wash them.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote