Old 10-08-2018, 12:46 AM   #11

I carried a collapsible traffic cone till someone else told me about using a ziploc bag with a paper in it saying site occupied and our name. Just hang it from the picnic table.

pasusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:35 AM   #12
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtreker357 View Post
If someone steals your site, there is no monetary loss. This happened in an Alaska state park this year. The gallon jug was gone when we returned and a 5th wheel was in our site. When asked about the jug, we heard, "there was no jug on the site when we drove by". There was no way for us to prove we paid for that site as the host did not have access to the pay box. Only a park employee that came around now and then could open the pay box.
This really pisses me off and makes me not want to use campsites. It's like the people that drive to the front of a merge lane and then cut in....but where there is an easier way people will find a way to exploit it.

jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Left our water hose and filter and a folding chair to mark our site at an Oregon State Park this Spring. Returned 3 hours later and only had the Y connector on our water spigot. Camphost suggested flagging tape across entrance. Now carry a small roll of 1 inch orange tape. First time in over 50 years of camping.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #14
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Jim View Post
Left our water hose and filter and a folding chair to mark our site at an Oregon State Park this Spring. Returned 3 hours later and only had the Y connector on our water spigot. Camphost suggested flagging tape across entrance. Now carry a small roll of 1 inch orange tape. First time in over 50 years of camping.
With kind of experience, I would do nothing and just start another successful 50 year run!

Good for you Jim.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:23 AM   #15
Platinum Member

I have never had anything taken from a campsite. In the past I did not give it a thought but now I think about it every time we leave the site. I use a "site occupied" sign and the orange warning tape mentioned in one of the posts. Also, if I am concerned I attach one of these to something that might sprout wings or legs:
https://www.harborfreight.com/door-w...arm-94983.html

I simply attach one side of the gadget to something I leave and I have a few feet of dental floss attached to the other side. The one I have is not exactly like the one in the link but you get the idea. If the magnetic field is broken by pulling the two sides apart you can hear that sucker go off for a long way. I think mine is supposed to be 110 db as I recall. Put it to a traffic cone, something like that and use your imagination as to how to camouflage it. I sometimes throw dead leaves over the dental floss if they are available.

Gosh, you hate to have to do something like that but I think we older RVers have all noticed that the character of a lot of folks that camp now is much different than it was ten or fifteen years ago and there are simply more people camping. Campers reflect society in general and it ain't the good old days.

Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote

« Quick Dry Towels | - »