Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 41
Default Elskevan

New van conversion just starting out. They've built a prototype and are testing before taking orders. Not much info yet, but the interior shots on their Instagram page are quite attractive:

https://www.elskevan.com/
__________________

dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 885
Default

The wood grain inserts in rear side window openings give it a weird "Woody" look.
__________________

__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 125
Default

They have clearly built something. They should be showing it, and talking about they why and what if their business— if they want “customer and venture capital” interest. I’m afraid this may be someone who wishes they had a company more than a company starting out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 41
Default

Techno,

You could very well be correct I haven't seen much since posting this. Too bad, because a lot of the work on the van was quite pretty. But I guess we'll see...
dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
nebulight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 123
Default

That looks like you average #vanlife instagram van build copied from someone else, who copied it from someone else, and so on and so on. The finishes look nice, but my guess is they plan on asking around 100k for it. Limited market for a van like that at prices like that.

Too many young people are spending far too much on vans like that. Youtube is riddled with people who overbuilt a van, try to sell it and end up upset that they can't get 95k for a used van with no bathroom with a hand pump sink with jerry cans.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Mat Mobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Quebec
Posts: 206
Default

There's a few of these companies popping up and I'm sure the quality is good for most of them.

The young #vanlife crowd is definitely the target market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
That looks like you average #vanlife instagram van build copied from someone else, who copied it from someone else, and so on and so on.
If this design has been copied so many times, then the design in itself is good and definitely appeals to a market. I for one, would love to have that high bed with the bike drawer in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
The finishes look nice, but my guess is they plan on asking around 100k for it. Limited market for a van like that at prices like that.

Too many young people are spending far too much on vans like that. Youtube is riddled with people who overbuilt a van, try to sell it and end up upset that they can't get 95k for a used van with no bathroom with a hand pump sink with jerry cans.
The thing I don't get is that the young #vanlife crowd does not have that money. If you look at Outside Van, Benchmark Vehicles and Vanlife Customs (just to name a few) they offer a similar product around the $100k price tag.

I don't see how they can purchase this other than not having a home/rent/mortgage. Still, how do you get a loan for this type of vehicle when you don't have a home? Of course most of them end up buying a used Class B or building it from scratch or any other of the less costly ways to get into #vanlife.

But how are all these small (awesome looking!) companies going to survive if their typical customer can't afford the product?!?

BTW, I have nothing against the #vanlife movement and dabble in it as much as I can. I just don't get the math behind it.
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
nebulight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Mobile View Post
There's a few of these companies popping up and I'm sure the quality is good for most of them.

The young #vanlife crowd is definitely the target market.



If this design has been copied so many times, then the design in itself is good and definitely appeals to a market. I for one, would love to have that high bed with the bike drawer in the back.



The thing I don't get is that the young #vanlife crowd does not have that money. If you look at Outside Van, Benchmark Vehicles and Vanlife Customs (just to name a few) they offer a similar product around the $100k price tag.

I don't see how they can purchase this other than not having a home/rent/mortgage. Still, how do you get a loan for this type of vehicle when you don't have a home? Of course most of them end up buying a used Class B or building it from scratch or any other of the less costly ways to get into #vanlife.

But how are all these small (awesome looking!) companies going to survive if their typical customer can't afford the product?!?

BTW, I have nothing against the #vanlife movement and dabble in it as much as I can. I just don't get the math behind it.
I guess what I was getting at is that design has been done by so many people, you could hardly call it original and anyone can do it. Most people are building their own vans at much lower costs compared to something like this.

A lot of the people that can afford to buy these vans are young professionals (probably without kids) that make decent money and want a toy for the weekend. It's the same people buying the Revel from Winnebago. As for small startups looking to make money by building vans, I wish them luck, but as you said, they probably don't have a large enough customer base to support them long. Most people that want to do #vanlife build their own for a fraction of the cost. There is a member on the promaster forum that has less than 20k into his van and build combined and it looks great.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Mat Mobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Quebec
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
I guess what I was getting at is that design has been done by so many people, you could hardly call it original and anyone can do it. Most people are building their own vans at much lower costs compared to something like this.

A lot of the people that can afford to buy these vans are young professionals (probably without kids) that make decent money and want a toy for the weekend. It's the same people buying the Revel from Winnebago. As for small startups looking to make money by building vans, I wish them luck, but as you said, they probably don't have a large enough customer base to support them long. Most people that want to do #vanlife build their own for a fraction of the cost. There is a member on the promaster forum that has less than 20k into his van and build combined and it looks great.
Don't worry Nebulight. We're in agreement. I was just adding to your comments.
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:38 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
nebulight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Mobile View Post
Don't worry Nebulight. We're in agreement. I was just adding to your comments.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Ram-Pr...n/122970041584

Here is what I'm talking about. $70K for a van that probably cost around $5-10k to convert. It even has the foot pump water pump #vanlife
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:07 AM   #10
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Here is what I'm talking about. $70K for a van that probably cost around $5-10k to convert. It even has the foot pump water pump #vanlife
I like the fact that for 70k you don't even get a port-a-potty
__________________

D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.