Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2018, 03:07 AM   #381
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotterdam View Post
I'm stumped: I park at a spot with a 20 amp dedicated house-hold outlet. (I own an Axion with EcoTrek 400). In the past, I used an extension cord with an adapter, so I wouldn't have to take out the heavy RV cord, and it worked fine. But just recently, the van stopped recognizing the extension cord with adapter. I checked the cord, used a different one, tried two other adapters and nothing. BUT, if I use the original RV cord that came with the van and use a 15 amp adapter with the SAME extension cord and outlet, it works fine! What's going on???
It depends on the gauge of the extension cord.

If the gauge is thin, and/or the length is long, it can make a difference.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #382
Bronze Member

I was able to tinker with it this morning, and I learned that the problem was the 30-to-15 amp adapter. The contact area was much smaller and required twisting the plug ALL the way clockwise, or it would not make contact. The contact area in the original heavy cord that came with the van had a much broader contact area and would make a connection by simply plugging it into the van without twisting. Thanks. I also changed the cord out to a thick cord, just to be safe, although the new cord that I bought is rated for 20 amp (12 gauge). Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
It depends on the gauge of the extension cord.

If the gauge is thin, and/or the length is long, it can make a difference.
kmrotterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #383
Platinum Member

Which Facebook photo was it? The small adapter and the larger one?

One thing that I finally invested in (because of issues with low power when plugging into a 15 or 20 amp plug when driveway camping) was a good RV 30 amp extension cord. I use a dog leg adapter and had fewer issues.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #384
Bronze Member

Yes, I learned that some of those 30-to-15 adapters are poorly made (I bough a pigtail adapter). As I park in a spot in DC, and did not want to leave my expensive 30-amp cord and I did not want to schlep the big cord out every time I parked in the spot to hook up (especially in the rain and at night), I didn't mind leaving the extension cord with the adapter, and I could quickly plug in. Since discovered the idiosyncrasies of the adapter, all is fine now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Which Facebook photo was it? The small adapter and the larger one?

One thing that I finally invested in (because of issues with low power when plugging into a 15 or 20 amp plug when driveway camping) was a good RV 30 amp extension cord. I use a dog leg adapter and had fewer issues.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:15 PM   #385
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotterdam View Post
I enjoyed reading all the comments for this thread on the Axion. I've learned a lot and I have signed a purchase contract for the Axion with all the options. I will be picking it up in a little over one week. Someone mentioned on here that there were no Facebook pages for the Axion, unlike Facebook pages for almost all the other big name models, so I created one if anyone is interested: https://m.facebook.com/groups/215749...content_filter

I am so looking forward to my new van, I've had an American Cruiser for a while and loved it, but I wanted something new to take me into the future for the next 20 years.
Congratulations on your purchase!

I live in Arlington, VA as well.

Guess what?

I bought the loaded 2017 Axion in Iowa from Good Life RV that you mentioned in previous posts.

My first RV ever. RV had to be small and off grid capable. Axion met all my requirements.

My only concern is the Alde 3010 not working above 1000m on propane.

Do you have this issue? There is an Alde manual high altitude valve switch as a fix.

Do you think I can get dealership to install valve switch?

Good Life RV is not an Alde Service center as per Alde Service app.

Thank you.
Merlynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #386
Bronze Member

Hi. Wow, another Axion owner in Arlington, VA. We have to get together. Join the Carado Axion group on Facebook, and get in touch with me there (my name is Kenneth, and I am the moderator of the group).

I have never had an Alde in high elevations, so I cannot really give any advice there. I know the problem was solved with the new version of the Alde.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #387
Silver Member

Hey Kenneth.

I am not on Facebook. Do I have to join Facebook to join the group.

My job requires a minimal internet presence.

I asked dealer to look into Alde 3010 issue. Will let you know what they say.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #388
Bronze Member

Hi, You can always send me messages on here, as there is a message function.
Let me know about your Alde.

Kenneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlynda View Post
Hey Kenneth.

I am not on Facebook. Do I have to join Facebook to join the group.

My job requires a minimal internet presence.

I asked dealer to look into Alde 3010 issue. Will let you know what they say.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #389

Hi Merlynda,
I got my Axion in August and have taken 3 trips, all in my home state of Colorado. I don't think I've been below 8000 feet since I drove it home. It has the Alde 3010. I have used it extensively (it is cold here at night) with no problems. Hope that helps.
murph_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:37 AM   #390
Silver Member

I used these to secure my Carado Axion TV and drawers. 2500 miles no problems.

Uxcell 40mm Long Double Ball Catch Stainless Steel Cupboard Door Latch, 5-Piece

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9YTURM..._0.RUBbDK4XNEV
Old 10-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlynda View Post
I used these to secure my Carado Axion TV and drawers. 2500 miles no problems.

Uxcell 40mm Long Double Ball Catch Stainless Steel Cupboard Door Latch, 5-Piece

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9YTURM..._0.RUBbDK4XNEV
The pantry drawers seem to be designed differently. There is nothing to attach the receiver side of the latch to. The latch in these drawers is integrated into the drawer slides, and you would have to replace the slides to get a stronger latch.

I have been using a long dowel cut so that it is a friction fit between the bottom of the countertop and the floor, snugged in next to the pull handles of the drawers. It holds the drawers closed nicely, but of course you have to remember to replace the dowel before you hit the road. The advantage is that the drawers still open and close easily without any extra effort.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #392
Silver Member

Yes. I used a brown tension rod from Walmart before I installed the catches. (From under countertop to floor in the corner by shower -that works too).

I am just addressing the three drawers under sink. My other drawers stay closed.

The catches work. One end goes on side trim and the other piece attaches to drawer face.

https://ibb.co/dEDsR9

https://ibb.co/mZbJzU
Old 10-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #393

Aah, got it. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #394
Silver Member

Here are pics of catches on TV. I turned the screws on the catches down as far as possible to make the catch tight as possible.

https://ibb.co/bLWJzU

https://ibb.co/mHkveU
Old 10-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #395
Silver Member

Here is another pic of catch on drawer trim piece. Just align other part of catch on drawer face.

https://ibb.co/mVd13p
Old 10-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #396

Thanks again, I just ordered those latches.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:04 AM   #397
Bronze Member

Default Axion not charging on shore power

Ecotrek charges fine with solar and GU, not with shore power. Inverter display panel shows 0 volts input. Help! Steve
falfal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:23 AM   #398
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falfal3 View Post
Ecotrek charges fine with solar and GU, not with shore power. Inverter display panel shows 0 volts input. Help! Steve
On our Ecotrek, for the shoreside charger to operate, the inverter has to be turned on.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #399
Bronze Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it was, but display on inverter shows 0 VAC coming in. Tried different power cords & different 30 amp sources. Dealer ordering new (3 to 5 weeks probably) inverter/charger. I guess I posted just to see if I was the only unlucky guy to have this happen. Hoping someone may know of some special reset procedure because I know dealer techs don't know everything. Thanks again, Steve.
falfal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #400
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falfal3 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it was, but display on inverter shows 0 VAC coming in. Tried different power cords & different 30 amp sources. Dealer ordering new (3 to 5 weeks probably) inverter/charger. I guess I posted just to see if I was the only unlucky guy to have this happen. Hoping someone may know of some special reset procedure because I know dealer techs don't know everything. Thanks again, Steve.
When you plug in shore power, are you physically measuring 120VAC on the input leads to the inverter? If not, it isn't a converter problem. Do any of your 120VAC receptacles work? If not, it looks like the converter transfer switch isn't working.

These units are programmed for each installation so the the replacement should be keyed to the coach VIN. But it shouldn't take 3 - 5 weeks for the factory to ship a replacement. What is the make and model of the inverter?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axion, carrado, ecotrek, hymer, promaster