Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #1

Default Attaching a roof rack to a fiberglass roof

Looking at upgrading the current roof rack/luggage rack on my 1985 Dodge Vanguard....suggestions to make it bomber
devans789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans789 View Post
Looking at upgrading the current roof rack/luggage rack on my 1985 Dodge Vanguard....suggestions to make it bomber
Know nothing about roof racks on fiberglass but when installing new deck hardware (pad-eyes, winches, etc) on fiberglass sailboats (with fiberglass decks and cabin tops), best practice seems to be to install backing plates (usually aluminum) on the underside. Backing plates distribute the stress on the fiberglass. Hardware is also set in adhesive - sealant like 3M 4000UV. Little tip I came across was, after laying down beads of sealant, to tighten down on the hardware bolts - but not completely 100%. After sealant cures, then you tighten down 100%.

FYI - sometimes you don't see the backing plate, just lots of nuts on the underside. Someone told me that on production boats, manufacturers mold the backing plate in the cabin top or deck. You don't see them, but they are there.