Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 04:58 AM   #1

Default Has anyone ever added an Oven to a class b?

I have seen very few campers with ovens. But it seems the Okanagan's and the Airstream class b's came with them. The okanagans are fairly low end and the airstreams are hard to find and command a premium. I'd really like to have an oven over a microwave as it can be run off grid without the need for running the generator. Is it possible to add one if I can find the room? I'd be willing to lose obvious storage space and probably toss the microwave to regain a bit back.
FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #2
Platinum Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Airstr...&_fsrp=1&rt=nc

Here's an Airstream B190 currently on ebay. My advice is look for something that already has the features you want (even if it takes time to find the "right" one).

As it is, you'll have to make some repairs and replacement of appliances on any older motor home you find. That will be challenge enough. I don't recommend adding appliances due to wiring, heat, and possible fire and asphyxiation hazards. A class B is just too small and everything is too crammed in to make major changes.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
Platinum Member

"I'd really like to have an oven over a microwave as it can be run off grid without the need for running the generator. "

?? A small MW can easily be used off-grid, even with MSW inverter.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #4

Years ago when I had a 23 foot travel trailer I would take things with me like an electric portable oven. It was big enough to put on counter and bake anything I wanted to. Had to have electric shore line but it along with electric fryer, coffee pot, etc. made things easier than propane. Now in my Class B if I want something baked I pick it up at a store. I travel lighter.
Bluecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Years ago, ordinary grocery stores didn't have bakeries.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Years ago, ordinary grocery stores didn't have bakeries.

Bakery Shops had bake goods. Fewer exist now. A baker friend had to get a job in a grocery when the bakery closed. I knew where he worked so got baked goods there. But few grocery stores bake from scratch like the old Bakery Shops did. I get baked goods and freeze them and put them in my Class B so called fridge. I do have a small 110 AC toaster oven to heat up a slice or 2. Mostly English Muffins and Bagels.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:07 PM   #7

What would you need to make anyways? I live outside my Class B, I would rather bake in my Dutch Oven in a camp fire. Make great peach cobbler that way.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
Bronze Member

What about the camp chef outdoor camping stove?
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #9

Lots of class b’s have microwave/convection ovens.
Aunt Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I found a very small toaster oven - it has a toaster slot in the top, and the oven in the bottom. It fits in one of my overhead cabinets nicely. Works very well. Generally all I want to make on the road is a couple biscuits or one of those flatbread pizza's. This works perfectly for those things.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #11
Silver Member

Even newer big motorhomes don't usually have a typical oven. Older ones do.
However you get really nice convection rotisserie counter top models for a hundred bucks or less(i have one in mine) and in a class b camper in the summer ANY cooking that can be moved outside is a welcome blessing. Also, as it gets old and dirty it's easier to replace or upgrade when it's not a built in appliance.
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
Bronze Member

I have been searching for the smallest microwave/convection oven for my ProMaster van. The convection oven is great for warming up sandwiches and toasting bread, and it can be used for baking too. The microwave is more efficient for warming up leftovers and cooking frozen dinners. This combo is the size of a compact microwave, works for me. It runs off of my van's inverter that takes 12V from my batteries or the alternator. Works for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0d4575c2c3bc8b
MotoVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I have seen very few campers with ovens. But it seems the Okanagan's and the Airstream class b's came with them. The okanagans are fairly low end and the airstreams are hard to find and command a premium. I'd really like to have an oven over a microwave as it can be run off grid without the need for running the generator. Is it possible to add one if I can find the room? I'd be willing to lose obvious storage space and probably toss the microwave to regain a bit back.
I'm pretty sure this is not what you are looking for, but we use a deep covered pot made expressly for microwaves. It takes the microwave energy and converts it to infra red waves. Does biscuits, cornbread, pies and other oven featured items. Does just an outstanding job, but doesn't brown meat very well. Cooks, just not crusty like an oven.

https://www.amazon.com/Microhearth-1...e+to+infra+red

Dave W
DWorrell3 is offline   Reply With Quote