Old 03-06-2019, 11:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Iím in the ďreal bedĒ camp. Sleeping bags are for backpacking.
Same with us. Our GWV trim-fold bed works fine with a standard queen-sized fitted sheet. Well worth the 3 minutes/night.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #12
Bronze Member

We've been using our old sleeping bags from our tenting days (not the mummy type). We turn them inside out and let them air well, and we take a really good shower when we get back home. After all, we're CAMPING.

VanGoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #13
Gold Member

That's the set-up we use and it works great. We purchased a cotton duvet cover that fits around a 2-inch foam pad. My wife enlarged the opening to make it easier to slip the pad in and out. To make the bed, simply unroll the pad and the bottom sheet is already there and secure.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #14

We tried sheets every which way and ultimately bought a Sierra Designs Front Country queen sleeping bag. It doesn't feel like a sleeping bag at all. No zippers. There is elastic on the bottom so you could put it over a blow up mattress. We put the top over the cushions and just leave the bottom part. Our bodies hold it in place.

https://www.sunnysports.com/p-sdsbfb...CABEgLwjPD_BwE
Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 PM   #15

You guys have given me a lot to think about and I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I think itís noteworthy that so many people that donít care about having a fitted sheet also sleep in sleeping bags. My biggest problem with the sleeping bag is that I live in Louisiana where it is HOT AND HUMID! About nine months out of the year I just sleep in my normal bed with a fitted sheet, a top sheet, and a throw over my feet in case they get cold. Iím planning on using this to go to southern Florida during the winter, but even during the summers Iíll probably be on the gulf coast at the beach quite a bit. So, a sleeping bag is definitely not going to work for me at all but I imagine itĎs super comfy if you live in a place that actually has these ďwintersĒ that Iíve heard so much about. I did get about an inch or two of snow 3 to 4 years ago so that was nice lol. FYI, the high today was 82 degrees in mid March.

I know some people sleep without a fitted sheet or even without a top sheet, but Iím assuming you live in a more temperate climate. Anyone who lives in the deep South hast to have both. Iím glad to know that someone else had the same idea as me and it is working for them. I also like some of the other suggestions about keeping twin fitted sheets on each of the couches and pushing them together. That would give me a usable double sized mattress instead of the king, but it seems like the simplest option. I think I will be trying out a few different options to see which one works best for me and thank you everyone for all of your advice!

I do have another idea that I wanted to run past you guys for suggestions. If I am moving about town traveling through a city and Boondocking in a metropolitan area, it seems like a pain to have to open and close shades for the front windows when I probably wonít be using the captains chairs too often. I also need a place to hang my towels and the occasional piece of laundry that I may need to hand wash. I thought about stringing up a clothesline or a rod right behind the captains chairs and I could make some curtains so I can easily wall off the whole front area of the RV for privacy plus it would be a nice way to add some color and make it homier. I can also pull the curtains back and use that to hang towels or wet bathing suits. Iím not interested in an outdoor clothesline because I could just hang a towel or a wet bathing suit on the awning but that doesnít help when itís raining. My main concern is figuring out the best way to attach to the RV. Iím hesitant to drill into the sides when I donít know where electrical wiring is placed. Do most manuals have schematics in them or is that generally obtainable through the manufacturer?

So what do you guys do when you need to hang something on the interior walls? And with a tiny class B with a wet bath, where do you hang your towels after a shower or a dip in the pool?
TinyTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:17 AM   #16

Here is an example of a tension curtain rod. I don't know your width or how much weight they will hold, but we are also thinking of a privacy rod when we don't want to use the snap in covers in the front windows.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Dec...470P/203676587
Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Here is an example of a tension curtain rod. I don't know your width or how much weight they will hold, but we are also thinking of a privacy rod when we don't want to use the snap in covers in the front windows.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Dec...470P/203676587
Oh thatís perfect! Thabk you so much. Iíve used tension rods before for kitchen windows and they donít hold much but worked well for thin curtains (but not thick drapes). Not sure about a wet towel. But, they also make tension rods that donít use a spring. You turn them instead-itís basically two pipes screwed together in the middle. When they untwist, it creates tension. Better hold, but you have to be careful about too much tension that may bend the metal. Still much better than having to drill into the walls which could affect the resale value or worrying about electrocuting yourself.

Iím thinking I will get some sheet sets for my two twin beds as I mentioned earlier and just keep the fitted sheets on there. It will be nice to add a bright pattern to the decor, but then Iím left with two useless twin top sheets since Iíll need a flat king sheet when I join them together. Just a little Stitch Witchery tape and a hot iron. Presto. Matching curtains. And they have the added bonus of looking cute even when pulled to the sides of the captains chairs. : )
TinyTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 PM   #18

I am in the process of creating a covering for a foam mattress topper to put on top of our Aktiv 2.0 fold down couch. I have used two sheets and created a large pillowcase with long zippers down both sides for easy changes. I tried using a purchased duvet but haven't found one that is the right size or easy to take on and off for washing. We plan to use this along with a duvet on top for a covering. We can then roll up the mattress topper to store it when the couch is up. Wish me luck with the finished product.

Chelle is offline   Reply With Quote