Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Arrow Plywood Sub-Floor

It was time for the plywood to be added to the Poly-Iso insulation panels on the floor of the cargo van. I use the paper templates that I made previously to remove the cut-outs from the sheets of plywood and add dadoes to form an interlocking system.

Although I ended up sealing the plywood at a later stage, this is the time to get your Shellac, varnish or polyurethane and a couple of brushes and protect the plywood against moisture.

As always, I have detailed every step on the Project’s Page, and added lots of pictures and videos.

Comments are welcome!

Van Williams
Save

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Pleasure-way use 3/4" plywood for their floors.

I know they overbuild their stuff.

I am sure 15/32 is more than adequate.

Do you have any afterthoughts?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Pleasure-way use 3/4" plywood for their floors.
I know they overbuild their stuff.
I am sure 15/32 is more than adequate.
Do you have any afterthoughts?
I already mentioned that on the website.
I, too prefer 3/4 inch ply, mainly because all the cabinets and appliances will be attached to it and it needs a solid foundation. But then there are the issues: more expensive, heavier (important!) and for me especially the thickness.
I have a 2016 Ford Transit medium roof with approx. 69 inches available between the top of the floor ribs and the bottom of the roof cross members.
Being 5'-7", that leaves very little room for floor and ceiling material. Put in very little insulation material, only between the floor ribs, then the 1/2 inch ply, with an additional 1/2 inch for the finish floor. Take another 1/4 inch min. for the ceiling, that would leave me with about 1/2 inch between me and hitting my head.

The 15/32 should be sufficient and every year I get to be a little bit shorter as well.

If you have more standing height in the living area of the van, I would suggest an extra 1/2 to 1 inch of Poly-Iso floor insulation and with enough GVWR the 3/4 inch plywood sub-floor.

Like many things in a van conversion, compromises must be made.

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Thanks for the reply.

I forgotten you need another 1/2 inch for the finish floor.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote