Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 12:00 AM   #261
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I'd bet that today, with these high numbers, that the majority are bought with cash. That would be a very healthy move as far a sustainable market goes.
That would be a bad bet. Credit for RV's is stupid easy now. We are back to no down payments...
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #262
Platinum Member

June 2015 Class B Shipment stats have been published on RVIA's site The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Main Site Home

Shipments are up 13.9% compared to last June. They are up 7.1% year to date.

June 2015 Class B Shipments.JPG

This is a nice bounce back from the dip last month We're at the halfway point in the stats for this year and 114 more Class B vans have shipped compared to same time frame last year.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #263
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
June 2015 Class B Shipment stats have been published on RVIA's site The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Main Site Home

Shipments are up 13.9% compared to last June. They are up 7.1% year to date.

Attachment 2696

This is a nice bounce back from the dip last month We're at the halfway point in the stats for this year and 114 more Class B vans have shipped compared to same time frame last year.

shows how few class b's are actually sold. 114 for so far for the year-a small number in the total scheme of things
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #264
Platinum Member

It is interesting that the increase for one month compared to last year is 34 vans. That is only .68 vans per state. It sure makes it reasonable to believe that any new model release could really skew the numbers, as most dealers would get at least one of the new model vans.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #265
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
shows how few class b's are actually sold. 114 for so far for the year-a small number in the total scheme of things
Just to clarify, that's 114 MORE than the same time time frame last year.

Using the June report:

1,709 vans shipped January through June. That's close to 7% of the motorhome market.

Class B: 7% of total motorhome market
Class A: 45% of total motorhome market
Class C: 48% of total motorhome market

The motorhome market itself is only 12% of the recreational vehicle market.

Class B's account for less than 1% of recreational vehicle market according to RVIA's June report.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #266
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Just to clarify, that's 114 MORE than the same time time frame last year.

Using the June report:

1,709 vans shipped January through June. That's close to 7% of the motorhome market.

Class B: 7% of total motorhome market
Class A: 45% of total motorhome market
Class C: 48% of total motorhome market

The motorhome market itself is only 12% of the recreational vehicle market.

Class B's account for less than 1% of recreational vehicle market according to RVIA's June report.
Mark- i did realize it was more-but it is still a small relative number. if ford announced 114 more vehicles in a 6 month period would you get excited about that
Old 07-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #267
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Mark- i did realize it was more-but it is still a small relative number. if ford announced 114 more vehicles in a 6 month period would you get excited about that
I would if it was a 7% increase in total sales

Any increase is a amplified for a small producer like B manufacturers, because of their high overhead per unit. The 7% increase could produce much more than a 7% increase in profits.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #268
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I would if it was a 7% increase in total sales

Any increase is a amplified for a small producer like B manufacturers, because of their high overhead per unit. The 7% increase could produce much more than a 7% increase in profits.

especially when the price goes from 77,000 to 108,000 in 8 years. 5 percent price increase per year
Old 08-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #269
Platinum Member

June 2015 Class B Sales stats have been posted on RV Business:
SSI: Class B Sales See 19% Increase During June | RV Business

Sales were up 19.1%

Quote:
Year-over-year Class B motorhome retail registrations increased 19.1% in June and 24.1% for the first six months, according to the latest report from Statistical Surveys Inc. (SSI).
Here's the Class B market share breakdown:

April 2015
Winnebago Industries Inc. 30.6% market share.
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 29.2% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 23.6% market share.
Pleasure-Way 12.1% market share.

May 2015
Winnebago Industries Inc. 32.5% market share.
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 27.8% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 24.5% market share.
Pleasure-Way 10.7% market share.

June 2015
Winnebago Industries Inc. 33% market share.
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 27.9% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 24.5% market share.
Pleasure-Way 10.3% market share.

Winnebago continues to be the top-selling manufacturer and has increased their lead.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #270
Platinum Member

Both the old school manufacturers Roadtrek and Pleasure-way lose, and the newer kids in the B business are climbing. If Roadtrek doesn't find a way to pick up some share, it could get interesting. They were very proud of the number one spot and had it a long time, so I am sure they not happy about it being gone. There is even danger they could slip to #3, if the trends continue.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #271
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Both the old school manufacturers Roadtrek and Pleasure-way lose, and the newer kids in the B business are climbing. If Roadtrek doesn't find a way to pick up some share, it could get interesting. They were very proud of the number one spot and had it a long time, so I am sure they not happy about it being gone. There is even danger they could slip to #3, if the trends continue.
Thor/Airstream could probably do so just by coming out with a Promaster.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #272
Platinum Member

Interesting data. Obviously Airstream is holding steady. They have a specific demographic that they have locked up.

Looks like Winnebago is taking it's share out of Roadtrek and Pleasureway. Hmmm, what are they doing that would cause that? Surely people don't want reasonable prices!?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:55 PM   #273
Platinum Member

For a long time, I think folks were willing to pay a premium to get the Roadtrek name, based on reputation and resale. I truly think they have hit the "tipping point" where the extra cost is just too much for many folks, and the quality and information fiascoes just pile on top of that. I think very many are finding out there are better values available.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:57 PM   #274
Platinum Member

It's just curious that their strategy is to double down on the tech and the high prices along with it. Maybe it'll be more profitable that way, but they won't be #1. Market share ain't everything, which is what you'd probably hear from Airstream.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:29 AM   #275
Platinum Member

What counts is profits and margins. For instance, Apple is mopping up Samsung's patootie in profits and margins by an overwhelming amount in cell phones, yet Samsung sells more units.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #276
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
What counts is profits and margins. For instance, Apple is mopping up Samsung's patootie in profits and margins by an overwhelming amount in cell phones, yet Samsung sells more units.
Yep, but what is going to happen when the run out of Koolaid and only have 20% of the market?
Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #277
Platinum Member

I think we will see a few distinct tiers of "B"s, as we do with other RV types. There will be the Chevies, the Cadillacs, and the Rolls Royces. Each tier will be pretty much independant, and improvements in the upper tiers will filter down, similar to how power windows and locks were only in the most expensive vehicles... but are now pretty much standard in all but the Korean econoboxes (and maybe even standard there.)

Apple is a different story. I paid the exact same price for my iPhone as I did for my HTC phone. When buying a laptop, the Macbook Pro was actually the cheapest thing out there if you wanted more than 8 gigs of RAM, i7, and a SSD.

Maybe I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'm waiting to see what happens with Transits. The 2016 models are out, and the LWB high roof model is about the same size/shape as a RT RS, so it shouldn't be too difficult for an upfitter to make a tried and true floorplan (rear couch that turns to a bed.) With two alternators available (regular, high output, even MEPS 120VAC alternators), I just think it is only a matter of time before we see some coachbuilder start building on this chassis.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #278
Platinum Member

The Ford Transit is a puzzler. My initial impression was the converters would be jumping all over it. but it hasn't happened in any way like they did with the Promaster. The Hershey show is coming up. If you see no big Transit announcements and prototypes it might mean the converters are satisfied with the Promasters and Sprinters and maybe have no idea how to position the Transit in the mix.

I also thought the Ford Transit would have been a better platform than the older T1N Sprinter Bs in being a tad shorter in length and a tad wider.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #279
Platinum Member

I think you are right there. If the next round of RV shows don't come up with anything, the Transit probably has fallen into the "neither fish nor fowl" category, because the PM excels on price, while the Sprinter has the most features.

Maybe I am grasping at straws. All and all, the PM isn't too bad, but I just prefer the quality bump that Ford has to offer.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #280
Platinum Member

Or it could be that the supply is so short that they were unable to get them to develop early on.

Also always a chance they will hold until GM or one of Asian companies come in with something. Not near as much urgency now that the Promaster has been doing quite well.