Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15
Default RoadTrek / Erwin Hymer Group Criminal Scandal Destroying Lives and Careers Worldwide

I purchased a 2018 RoadTrek Simplicity SRT in August and it has been a total nightmare since day 1.

Now this international criminal scandal at Hymer / RoadTrek has destroyed my life and career, and it appears we have no recourse.

It is as stupid as it is long, but this is my story: https://www.loganlynnmusic.com/2019/...2019-canceled/

Because I’m a touring musician who lives in the RV full time, and the vehicle was purchased specifically for that reason, we have had to cancel our tour. Here is that story today in IndiePulse Music Magazine: https://indiepulsemusic.com/2019/02/...vie-star-tour/

It’s a mess. Posting here so no one else gets tricked, and in case anyone has any ideas. I’m at a loss for what next steps even look like for a person in my situation...
__________________

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,609
Default

You purchased the cheapest, shoddiest product they make and expected a bulletproof luxury experience? Even the biggest noob amongst us could see how much a POS the Simplicity is, along with the Axxion and Carrado products.

Your lofty expectations aside, it is a cautionary tale for the less experienced travelers amongst us. There really isn't any secret sauce here folks - you get what you pay for. Sometimes even less. But never more.
__________________

__________________
2019 Winnebago Travato GL
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, Ks. Suburb
Posts: 854
Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay
Default

Logan I'm sorry for your troubles and lost dream, but like wincrasher said, you bought the lowliest, one of the worst quality class Bs on the market, that's easily visible, based on what you read on the internet?
Too bad you didn't do due diligence and check all your sources and other brands such as Winnebago, Pleasureway etc and their internet presence...

Good luck on your future path..
__________________
Bob & Sharon
2019 Winnebago Travato K (2018 Chassis)

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
You purchased the cheapest, shoddiest product they make and expected a bulletproof luxury experience? Even the biggest noob amongst us could see how much a POS the Simplicity is, along with the Axxion and Carrado products.

Your lofty expectations aside, it is a cautionary tale for the less experienced travelers amongst us. There really isn't any secret sauce here folks - you get what you pay for. Sometimes even less. But never more.
I didn’t expect bulletproof. I expected the basic tenants of the thing to work, for the warranty to be legit, and for the company to actually exist.

Not too much to ask for $85,000.00.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:21 PM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Logan I'm sorry for your troubles and lost dream, but like wincrasher said, you bought the lowliest, one of the worst quality class Bs on the market, that's easily visible, based on what you read on the internet?
Too bad you didn't do due diligence and check all your sources and other brands such as Winnebago, Pleasureway etc and their internet presence...

Good luck on your future path..
At the time of purchase, RoadTrek had all 5 stars on every reviews site. All of the testimonials I read were positive.

I don’t expect perfection, but I definitely expect bare minimum. This exceedingly failed by even those standards.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:34 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 732
Default

I have a lot of respect for Wincrasher but I don't support the particular opinion expressed above - I think it's unduly harsh.

Logan, as a self-employed businessperson myself, I feel your pain because once upon a time, I was in a very similar place to where you are now.

And when I say I'm a business owner, I do NOT mean that I'm making hair bows or weaving ankle bracelets to sell at the next wienie roast. I mean I have a Master's degree in a STEM field and I am an industrial consultant running an LLC which has actually paid the bills - REAL bills - for 13 years now.

I was initially thinking that I'd buy a nice campervan and be able to work on the road, traveling while I work, integrating my own skilled professional interpretation of #vanlife in the process.

What a rude shock I got when I found out how limited and poor quality these vans are. Sure, it was my bad - I made too many assumptions. But those assumptions are common among newbies and they are not unreasonable on their faces. We pay a lot of money and it seems reasonable to expect a certain level of performance and reliability. Then it's like, "Whaaa??!!" when we find out that it just isn't there.

What happened in our case is that my husband and I poured four years of our free time and about $20,000 of our cash into our van, which now does what I was hoping one would do at the outset. I've remained off-grid and in remote locations for up to 5 weeks at a time, working successfully and not losing my professional clientele, which was the whole point.

I was lucky in that I have a mechanical engineer husband who contributed the lion's share of that van conversion effort. Many professionals simply cannot make that kind of a van DIY commitment *AND* do justice to their brands and their businesses - there just aren't enough hours in the day for both.

Again, I feel for you - I'm sorry you got mixed up in all of this, the Roadtrek thing in particular. Good luck to you going forward.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I have a lot of respect for Wincrasher but I don't support the particular opinion expressed above - I think it's unduly harsh.

Logan, as a self-employed businessperson myself, I feel your pain because once upon a time, I was in a very similar place to where you are now.

And when I say I'm a business owner, I do NOT mean that I'm making hair bows or weaving ankle bracelets to sell at the next wienie roast. I mean I have a Master's degree in a STEM field and I am an industrial consultant running an LLC which has actually paid the bills - REAL bills - for 13 years now.

I was initially thinking that I'd buy a nice campervan and be able to work on the road, traveling while I work, integrating my own skilled professional interpretation of #vanlife in the process.

What a rude shock I got when I found out how limited and poor quality these vans are. Sure, it was my bad - I made too many assumptions. But those assumptions are common among newbies and they are not unreasonable on their faces. We pay a lot of money and it seems reasonable to expect a certain level of performance and reliability. Then it's like, "Whaaa??!!" when we find out that it just isn't there.

What happened in our case is that my husband and I poured four years of our free time and about $20,000 of our cash into our van, which now does what I was hoping one would do at the outset. I've remained off-grid and in remote locations for up to 5 weeks at a time, working successfully and not losing my professional clientele, which was the whole point.

I was lucky in that I have a mechanical engineer husband who contributed the lion's share of that van conversion effort. Many professionals simply cannot make that kind of a van DIY commitment *AND* do justice to their brands and their businesses - there just aren't enough hours in the day for both.

Again, I feel for you - I'm sorry you got mixed up in all of this, the Roadtrek thing in particular. Good luck to you going forward.
Thank you. I appreciate this compassionate perspective, and it’s hopeful that you were able to eventually figure it out. I’m doing whatever I can to figure it out too.

And I stand by my belief that for nearly $100,000.00 one should be getting at least the bare minimum of what was promised.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:17 AM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas City, Ks. Suburb
Posts: 854
Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay
Default

Guys, that's not how the RV industry works in North America. Never has, and won't in the near future. That is common knowledge and stated multiple places on all forums, and Facebook groups having to do with RV's. The price doesn't reflect what you are getting in assembly quality, except for AdvancedRV, somewhat with LTV and Pleasureway, and a couple class A makers.
Roadtrek has been in severe decline since 2009-2010. In 2009 they were virtually bankrupt and out of business, not building anything. Under 2 new owners, (with the same managers) each year since, building worse quality units, and with their Etrek system, hit bottom in reliability. The numbers were more important than the quality and engineering. They made their owners beta testers of their new options and designs.
Again common knowledge in the RV world, all over the internet to people that didn't drink the Roadtrek Kool aid BS....

Repeating, sorry for your experience and being stuck with what you have
__________________
Bob & Sharon
2019 Winnebago Travato K (2018 Chassis)

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:32 AM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,465
Default

Roadtrek did one thing well, and that was controlling what kind of information new customers would find on the internet. With a loyal bunch of ubersupporters, they were able to load up the review sites with positive reviews and articles. They got Wendland to pretend that he was an impartial customer while he was purging any dissent on his website. It is understandable how folks would miss out on the other side of the issues like were available on this site and some others.


That said, IMO any class b sold, regardless of price, should be expected to do the basic functions of it's major systems, and if they don't work should be fixed promptly. Quality materials, fit and finish, convenience, etc would not be part of that, but electrical systems, plumbing, heat, would be. If the manufacturer is priced so low they can't furnish those items in a functional manner, they are need to raise the price until they can, or improve their methods or materials. Just ignoring the issues and the customer problems is not an acceptable way to do things.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:03 AM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 872
Default

Logan - I second InterBlog's sentiments

Your story of lost dreams is a sad tale faced by many novice RV owners. The RV industry has players who often mislead unsuspecting owners. I read about them every day.

Best wishes as you move forward.

- - Mike
__________________

__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
erwin hymer, roadtrek, roadtrek simplicity srt, scandal, warranty

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.