Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2023, 05:02 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Hellwig 1801 EZ-990 Helper Spring Kit for sale

Hellwig 1801 EZ-990 Helper Spring Kit, step bracket style, for 2.5" wide leaf springs. I bought this set for my 1998 Xplorer 230XLW but can't get them mounted unless I remove the airbags first and I'm just too lazy to mess with it; getting my leafs re-arched instead. These are adjustable and rated up to 2000 lb. level loadcarrying capacity. Brand new and in perfect unused condition, all hardware and instructions included. Original shipping box not included. Retail price is $248 plus tax, asking $175 or best offer. Shipping is not included, but I think that for $25 or so UPS will ship bulk rate, just not sure though. They will ship from Marble Falls Tx, 78654

Manufacturer
Hellwig
Manufacturer Part Number
Surface Finish
Silver Hammertone
Fitment Type
Direct Replacement
Type
Helper Spring

Fits the following:
1977 - 1993 Dodge W150
1973 - 1974 Chevrolet Blazer
1987 - 2000 Chevrolet Blazer
1975 - 1995 Chevrolet G10
1979 - 1995 GMC G1500
1973 - 1987 GMC Jimmy
1992 - 2000 GMC Yukon
1987 - 1987 Chevrolet Suburban
1990 - 1994 Chevrolet Suburban
1975 - 1986 Chevrolet C10
1975 - 1986 Chevrolet K10
1966 - 1996 Ford Bronco
1975 - 1980 Dodge B100
1981 - 1994 Dodge B150
1975 - 1980 Dodge B200
1975 - 1980 Dodge B300
1980 - 2003 Dodge Ram van
1975 - 1980 Dodge D100
1984 - 1989 Dodge D100
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:32 AM   #2

Hello, I recently bought a 1999 Dodge Xplorer XLW and I was curious by what you meant by re-arching? Are you doing this to raise the rear by say 1"?
I've thought about adding a additional leaf to my current set up, to go along with the airbags, but my springs are 25 years old. But re-arching sounds interesting. Thanks!
Roughcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:42 AM   #3
Platinum Member

It's a prcess whereby the spring set is disassembled and each leaf is returned to it's original height by rolling each thru a hydralic press and then re-assembled.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:00 AM   #4

Thanks. I assume that's a less expensive approach than full replacement and you get some lift back. My front and rear end feels like its bouncing a bit and I'm going to replace the shocks with Billstein shocks. Makes me think about what to do with the front springs and rear leafs since mine seems a bit rusted. Is it better to do front and rear at the same time for all of this?
Old 05-05-2024, 02:09 AM   #5

Also, just noticed we have the same van color and graphic scheme, 1 year apart. Although, I just removed the bulk of my graphics a few weeks ago.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Replacing your front shocks with Bilsteins will definitely provide a big improvement in ride quality. I also replaced my front springs with much heavier ones a while back, and in fact this finally forced me to go with Bilsteins, replacing some relatively new HD Monroe gas shocks, to reduce a pogo effect brought about by the heavier springs. Now with this combo almost all bottoming out has been eliminated and has resulted in a much smoother ride as a result.
As for the front springs, I ended up buying a set from a custom spring mfg. but as I am currently away from home on vacation I do not have access to my notes in regards to their purchase. I did make a lengthy post here about them a while back but dammit can't find it! I will say though that there are some other available HD springs out there for the 3500 Dodge chassis. I'll be back home in a couple of weeks and can get back to you when I do.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:04 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Well I just figured out how to find that post by clicking on my member name, and I guess you would be able to do the same thing. If you can you will find a ton of other info on the Dodge 3500 chassis. The thread was started by member "Jay", but if you can find my post in this thread it will open up all of the other responses. I case you are not able to do this, I copied and pasted below my post that relates to the front end changes that I made:

At around 60K miles the front shocks/springs on my '98 Xplorer 230XLW (Dodge B3500) were not getting the job done anymore, bottoming out on extra wavy highway sections and such. I have been using Monroe Gas Magnums on four prior Class B's and have found them to be more than adequate especially considering their cheap price. When I bought this Xplorer at 50K miles it was equipped with these shocks as well, but upon inspection I found that both were worn out so I bought another set. Some improvement, but not enough so I started to look for spring replacements, and man did I go down a rabbit hole.

Moog used to sell an OEM HD spring, pn# 7272, but could not find them in stock anywhere. Rock Auto and SD Truck Springs both sell a Dayton # 350-900 "Cargo Maxx HD" set for around $230 shipped to Texas. These springs have a slightly larger wire diameter and result in about an inch higher ride heigth than the OEM springs originally equpped on my chassis. But to make a long story a bit shorter I ended up buying a custom wound set from Coil Spring Specialties. These guys really know their stuff,and supposedly look at 14 different spring parameters of the OEM's, and per their suggestions designed a set that offered 15% increased spring rate and stock ride height. I paid $320 shipped for these springs, and they have virtually completely eliminated bottoming out without adding measurable ride harshness, however the almost new Monroe Gas Magnums couldn't keep up with the additional spring rate, causing some pogo-ing. I then replaced them with Bilstein's HD shocks, and man did that do the trick; just perfect now in fact.

Two caveats though: It took about 5000 miles for these springs to settle out to about 1/2" more than factory ride height which again is just about perfect for me as I just need to run with 10-15psi more in my rear airbags than before to level out the suspension. Additionally, the increased wire diameter of these springs cause them to occasionaly rub against the upper spring cups, causing a pretty annoying squeak at slow speeds over rough terrain, that comes and goes, but only around 10% of time in those conditions.