Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2023, 01:41 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Battery, or something deeper?

Good morning from WNY...I don't know if I have a parasitic draw on the battery or the battery just doesn't hold a charge anymore...I charged the battery and next day it was below 11 volts...went away for a week and the voltage read below 7...I also noticed that my gauge needles were all quivering, like jump,jump,jump.....jump,jump,jump....as for as I know everything is off...I've had this problem on and off for the last couple months...if it sits longer than 5-6 days there's not even enough juice to unlock the doors, unless I'm driving it around once a day...THANKS to any responders!!
HappyCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 02:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

There are many videos out there explaining how to hunt down a parasitic draw such as this one using a multimeter and pulling fuses to find the culprit. I've done it in the past.
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

any electrical tests need to be done with a known good battery. charge your battery and disconnect the ground... if it holds charge then you can start testing

BE AWARE that trying to use your vehicle with a duff battery can burn out your alternator and possibly other components such as the battery separator.

Turning a $100 problem into a $800 problem
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
any electrical tests need to be done with a known good battery. charge your battery and disconnect the ground... if it holds charge then you can start testing

BE AWARE that trying to use your vehicle with a duff battery can burn out your alternator and possibly other components such as the battery separator.

Turning a $100 problem into a $800 problem
Agreed. Check the battery. Once it is verified good then you can move to trouble shooting. If you do not know how to check it take it to O’Reilly’s or Auto Zone. They will do it for you.

Once you have a proven good battery the gurus here can figure out the rest. The bet is it is a bad battery.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:31 PM   #5

Wink Chassis Battery dead after 2 days

Hello all, I have a new to me 2021 Coachman Galleria 24q that I have owned for five months. My chassis battery is always dead after 1 or 2 days in my driveway. I don't plug it in. The battery is new and was installed when i purchased the van, and everything is turned off. I rent my van out, so this is a problem for my renters. I've seen several posts about similar issues. any advice
nward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 02:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nward View Post
My chassis battery is always dead after 1 or 2 days in my driveway.

once a battery has been run flat it reduces it's capacity to charge up again.

so if a 800CCA battery is discharged, when next charged it may only be a 650CCA battery.

you can have the battery tested to see what the true capacity is- as above any checks of the van electrical system need to be done with a known "good" battery. otherwise you are chasing your tail, and you'll never catch it.

if the battery tested poorly and you got it at costco, trade in for a new one

It is possible that there is a "parasitic drain". youtube will show you have to find this with a voltmeter- it takes time, you have to be methodical- but it works.

You also need to look for anything "left on" this could even be the underhood light or in a compartment going on by itself or some other stupid fault.

some van models just have alot of stupid stuff drawing power when parked- alarm systems, wifi or satellite connect to the mothership etc.

checking for parasitic draw will help you narrow this down
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 08:51 PM   #7

My 20yo Rt had this problem on with new battery. Replaced battery(under warranted) and still happened. Turned out to be rusty ground connection. That fixed and all worked great and battery remained charged for weeks if turned off.
Good luck.
Ki
Lanex005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 12:39 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Thanks everyone...I charged the battery then disconnected the ground. Voltage then was 12.5....next day it was 11.9...two days later was 11.8...I also found a random 15a fuse in panel over drivers seat, not labeled at all, which I pulled. The battery is less than 3 years old, but my guess is its going bad.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:56 AM   #9
Platinum Member

If you charged your battery, disconnected it and your voltage dropped - my guess is that you have a bad battery. As suggested before, remove your battery, fully charge it and take it to an automotive store or battery store and have them test it with a "load" tester. You'll have your answer immediately. Batteries can go bad in a year (poor manufacturing, cheap components or excessive vibration). GL.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:37 PM   #10
Bronze Member

....finally charged up battery long enough for AutoZone to do a load test on it...it was toast!...new battery on its way..
Old 08-03-2023, 08:19 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Thanks for the update.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote